This forum is such a joke

This forum is such a joke

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
10 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Starrman
I disagree with that. Sure once off this is true, but regularly and the person's true nature is revealed. Here it is quite simple to keep up the pretence of whatever version of yourself you wish to portray, indefinitely.
This is false, as Cribs (RIP) explosively counterexampled.

An individual's personal characteristics are contextual; even being alone is a social context. In particular, there are very few social contexts for debates of the type had here in the 'real world'. I doubt many RHPers actually have different opinions in the 'real world' than on RHP, although it's possible. However, social conventions are much more present, generally, in the 'real world' and thus fewer opportunities arise to express these opinions; for example, several of my friends are fairly religious, and I don't often discuss religion with them because it's more important that we maintain an amicable relationship and discuss other things.

Forums like RHP inspire open communication, in general. I tend to communicate on RHP in much the same way as I communicate with people I know very well in the 'real world'; in most other contexts, I'm a lot more subdued, but my beliefs and values are the same. I suspect this is true of most people (I think everyone at the London meet-up besides Shav exhibited this to some degree) -- forums are a social lubricant like cocaine or alcohol, not a mask.

I've never lied outright on RHP, except about the TLW 😛.

Surely everyone knows many people who took ages to reveal their 'true personality' in the 'real world', and would not have revealed this without abnormal amounts of contact?

S

Moves
10 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by royalchicken
This is false, as Cribs (RIP) explosively counterexampled.

I thought Cribs was backing me up, did I miss something?

An individual's personal characteristics are contextual; even being alone is a social context. In particular, there are very few social contexts for debates of the type had here in the 'real world'. I doubt many RHPers actually have different opinions in the 'real world' than on RHP, although it's possible. However, social conventions are much more present, generally, in the 'real world' and thus fewer opportunities arise to express these opinions; for example, several of my friends are fairly religious, and I don't often discuss religion with them because it's more important that we maintain an amicable relationship and discuss other things.

I'm not talking about the debate process; what opinions are held etc. I'm talking about the personas we use to actualise these debates.

Forums like RHP inspire open communication, in general. I tend to communicate on RHP in much the same way as I communicate with people I know very well in the 'real world'; in most other contexts, I'm a lot more subdued, but my beliefs and values are the same. I suspect this is true of most people (I think everyone at the London meet-up besides Shav exhibited this to some degree) -- forums are a social lubricant like cocaine or alcohol, not a mask.

You were nothing like I thought you would be when I met you. I'm not saying you put forth an incorrect version of yourself here, but that with a lack of other factors (body language, accent, dress, hairstyle, tone of voice etc. etc.) the impression anyone gives will differ immensly to the real them.

I've never lied outright on RHP, except about the TLW 😛.

Some lies are not worth being called lies because no-one believes you anyway 😛

Surely everyone knows many people who took ages to reveal their 'true personality' in the 'real world', and would not have revealed this without abnormal amounts of contact?

Really? I honestly don't believe this, although I'm prepared to believe that I don't know any of these people because I don't tend to continue a relationship with people who are not honest (with themselves or others).

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 Mar 06

[b]This is false, as Cribs (RIP) explosively counterexampled.

I thought Cribs was backing me up, did I miss something?[/b]
I think he meant that I'm not even half the pimp I used to be.

S

Moves
10 Mar 06

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Ahh, I'm sure it's just a temporary condition brought about by the agonising wait for a decision in the Ayn Rand debate.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
10 Mar 06

Who can remember the last time he saw something spiritual posted here? Spiritual posts are the rare exception rather than the norm. Mainly what we do here is argue and bicker. On occasion we get some rare spiritual insight from Revered Kirksey, but that's about it.

Why don't we merge this forum back into Debates, where the rest of the site's a ...[text shortened]... es place, or give it a more fitting name. This Spirituality forum is an object of ridicule..
I protested against the use of the term 'Spirituality' from day one.

Unfortunately Russ' heart was hardened.

P

Moves
10 Mar 06

Who can remember the last time he saw something spiritual posted here? Spiritual posts are the rare exception rather than the norm. Mainly what we do here is argue and bicker. On occasion we get some rare spiritual insight from Revered Kirksey, but that's about it.

Why don't we merge this forum back into Debates, where the rest of the site's a ...[text shortened]... es place, or give it a more fitting name. This Spirituality forum is an object of ridicule..
Last time I looked, this Forum was defined as follows:

Spirituality
Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after.

Better to keep it separate. Religion and Politics can be a lethal mix.

Plus, you should have posted this in the Site Ideas Forum.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
10 Mar 06

Originally posted by Peachy

Plus, you should have posted this in the Site Ideas Forum.
Only the lamest of ideas get posted in Site Ideas. It's like kindergarten over there.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
10 Mar 06
4 edits

[/b]
I thought Cribs was backing me up, did I miss something?

I mean Cribs, not DoctorScribbles -- if your position is correct, then they may as well be regarded as totally different people. Cribs intentionally maintained a persona (that of a pirp), which was easily seen to be affected.

You were nothing like I thought you would be when I met you. I'm not saying you put forth an incorrect version of yourself here, but that with a lack of other factors (body language, accent, dress, hairstyle, tone of voice etc. etc.) the impression anyone gives will differ immensly to the real them.

I think you're undercomplicating the issue: I'm saying 'the real them' is not a very well-defined concept. Everybody's personality varies wildly, in the real world, depending on their context. Why should a person's internet personality (their personality in a context where their raw verbal expressiveness is their most apparent characteristic) be treated any differently?

Actually, 'the real them' is probably best defined as the way in which a person's apparent personality changes with context. Freddie, for example, seems more articulate and gregarious in person (in the one context I've met him) than on RHP, while the reverse is usually true for me. I think a highly developed personality is a range of personal characteristics which fit well into a wide variety of contexts. RHP is probably the best sort of environment for well-constructed chatting, but it's not always very good for displaying compassion or sympathy, for example.

Really? I honestly don't believe this, although I'm prepared to believe that I don't know any of these people because I don't tend to continue a relationship with people who are not honest (with themselves or others).

You must be very good at spotting dishonesty -- my life, especially since coming to university (where many people feel the need to invent personas far beyond any I've seen on RHP), is littered with people I misread.

P

Moves
10 Mar 06

Only the lamest of ideas get posted in Site Ideas. It's like kindergarten over there.
Next time I have an idea for the site I'll make sure I post it here then 😛

Russ, please amend the definition to something like this:

"Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after. No kindergarteners allowed, bright ideas welcome."

😉

S

Moves
10 Mar 06
2 edits

I mean Cribs, not DoctorScribbles -- if your position is correct, then they may as well be regarded as totally different people. Cribs intentionally maintained a persona (that of a pirp), which was easily seen to be affected.

What's in a name? A pimp by any other would smell as sweet.

I think you're undercomplicating the issue: I'm saying 'the real them' is not a very well-defined concept. Everybody's personality varies wildly, in the real world, depending on their context. Why should a person's internet personality (their personality in a context where their raw verbal expressiveness is their most apparent characteristic) be treated any differently?

Actually I think everyone else is overcomplicating it, all I initially intended to say was that life is a far broader set of experiences and as such our personas have a much broader range of facets. To try and condense that into an arena like RHP is like resizing a hi-def photo into a 100x100 pixel gif: destructive compression.

Actually, 'the real them' is probably best defined as the way in which a person's apparent personality changes with context. Freddie, for example, seems more articulate and gregarious in person (in the one context I've met him) than on RHP, while the reverse is usually true for me. I think a highly developed personality is a range of personal characteristics which fit well into a wide variety of contexts. RHP is probably the best sort of environment for well-constructed chatting, but it's not always very good for displaying compassion or sympathy, for example.

Whilst I agree with you that Freddie comes across far more mature, quick witted and articulate in real life, I do not agree that his ability to change from 'out there' to 'in here' defines the depth of his personality at all. However I am only a bedroom psychologist, so I've nothing to back this up with.

You must be very good at spotting dishonesty -- my life, especially since coming to university (where many people feel the need to invent personas far beyond any I've seen on RHP), is littered with people I misread.

Trust me, it's a frickin curse. Empathy and character judgement are not the skills you might think, they make you cautious, dissmissive and bitter after a while.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
10 Mar 06

Watch your language, Sir. Flash may be lurking.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
10 Mar 06
4 edits

What's in a name? A pimp by any other would smell as sweet.

I think you'r ou might think, they make you cautious, dissmissive and bitter after a while.
I'm not even a bedroom psychologist, although I may become a toilet psychologist if my PFC membership continues. This whole conversation just hit a nerve, because it's rather like something I often think about when feeling introspective/narcississtic: I feel 'artificial' (as though I'm acting unnaturally) frequently because most of the people I interact with on a daily basis have no connection to me beyond circumstance, and they could say the same about me. I think this is somewhat tragic, unavoidable and presumably universal. I also never feel this way among close friends, or on RHP, or while discussing something real and specific with anyone. I almost always feel this way in contexts where being silent would be impolite.

Being cautious, dismissive and bitter as a result of empathy and character judgement beats having those same characteristics without those causes!

EDIT I bet in the real world rwingett's a Mormon and Nordlys can't spell.

S

Moves
10 Mar 06
1 edit

I feel 'artificial' (as though I'm acting unnaturally) frequently because most of the people I interact with on a daily basis have no connection to me beyond circumstance
Why does this bother you? I would have thought as a Bayesian, probability of encounter is as good a reason as any for connection.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
10 Mar 06

Why does this bother you? I would have thought as a Bayesian, probability of encounter is as good a reason as any for connection.
It bothers him for the same reason you'd be bothered if you thought that you were truly known by nobody.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
10 Mar 06

It bothers me because it often requires effort to 'make conversation', and it frequently seems that neither participant does the other justice in these circumstances.