There's big money in doomsday predictions

There's big money in doomsday predictions

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
24 May 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
I think it will not happen as an act of God, and will almost certainly not happen before the Sun goes supernova.
So what do you mean by "Armaggedon"?
My opinion is not as far from yours as I think you initially thought.

What I mean by Armaggedon is basically destruction of earth (or the world as we know it) by an act of god. I also do not believe this will happen but I have a very tiny microscopic amount of uncertainty based on the fact that I am not 100% certain that there isn't a supreme being. However, even if there is a supreme being lording over the universe, I'm pretty sure nobody here on this planet really understands its/his nature despite what anybody says.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
24 May 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yes i believe that you are correct, serious issues. Does anyone know on what basis his predictions were made?
R.C. I believed part of it is based off of what he believes to be the age of the earth and a 7000 year period in which 6000 is the time of man and the last 1000 is the reign of Christ. I know also he uses the Jewish feast and calender to make part of his predictions. However he also emphasizes that every number is in the bible for a reason and has a sort of numerology based off of this also.

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
24 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by menace71
R.C. I believed part of it is based off of what he believes to be the age of the earth and a 7000 year period in which 6000 is the time of man and the last 1000 is the reign of Christ. I know also he uses the Jewish feast and calender to make part of his predictions. However he also emphasizes that every number is in the bible for a reason and has a sort of numerology based off of this also.

Manny
I can't remember the number I heard him say but he was pretty far off the date of the flood which he was using in his calculations and that isn't going to help him too much.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
24 May 11
3 edits

Originally posted by menace71

Manny
I'm still not quite sure where the square of 5*10*17 comes from! 😵

If he had cubed it instead, a crap load of Christian pet dogs wouldn't have had to be `taken care of', children with screwed up parents would still have food on their plates and dreams of college.

So many people have been shafted or self-shafted because of religion - and yes I said religion as opposed to one wacko religous person. Religion brings out the worst in people and either directly or indirectly is responsible for much of the misery in the world. Hopefully some of those who have been "gotcha'd" this time will deconvert and practice a bit of critical thinking for once, and hopefully the Christian religion will have been marginalised that little further by this whole debacle.
(note Religion is not the same as simply belief in some god to make sense out of the world)

rc

Moves
24 May 11

Originally posted by Agerg
I'm still not quite sure where the square of 5*10*17 comes from! 😵

If he had cubed it instead, a crap load of Christian pet dogs wouldn't have had to be `taken care of', children with screwed up parents would still have food on their plates and dreams of college.

So many people have been shafted or self-shafted because of religion - and yes I said relig ...[text shortened]... gion is not the same as simply belief in some god to make sense out of the world)[/hidden]
and of course Atheists have never shafted anyone, like in Cambodia, or Stalinist Russia, or Albania.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
25 May 11
3 edits

and of course Atheists have never shafted anyone, like in Cambodia, or Stalinist Russia, or Albania.
Ah the old Stalin routine again 😴
The fact is Robbie some people are just dicks in spite of any ideology, and without theism (such that it's opposite - "atheism" makes sense) he would have found some other reason to commit the attrocities he did. Nothing was done in `the name of atheism' because atheism is nought other than a disbelief in gods. Many attrocities are done in the name of Christianity however because its adherents genuinely believe some magic man in the sky HATES homosexuals, or HATES blacks, or HATES witches, or HATES women who don't `recognise their place', or HATES believers in false religions, or HATES non-believers, or HATES science, and so on...

Another crucial difference is that with religion, one can shaft people over with the misguided belief they are doing something worthwhile and intrinsically good. That moron Camping probably thought he was doing 200 million Christians the greatest favour imaginable and ended up wrecking the lives of many instead.

Religion is the scourge of humanity.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
25 May 11

The fact is Robbie some people are just dicks in spite of any ideology, and without theism (such that it's opposite - "atheism" makes sense) he would have found some other reason to commit the attrocities he did. Nothing was done in `the name of atheism' because atheism is nought other than a disbelief in gods. Many attrocit ...[text shortened]... and ended up wrecking the lives of many instead.

We just had a story on 60 minutes here and it was about a crazy christian group,(some baptist "church" in the states), who had introduded on the funerals of soldiers who were killed in the war with their hateful messages relating to homosexuality and how god hates them and they deserved what they got. I believe this group has been mentioned before on here, but the latest installment from these fundie nuts was that they were "protesting" against Australia saying that all Australians were doomed to hell. They had posters saying things like Heath Ledger got what he deserved and worse, that the recent bushfire an flood victims got what they deserved as a punishment from a vengeful god that was dealing out "justice".
They even had their children as young as 5 diplaying their placards with these sort of hateful messages. I believe one dad of a dead gay soldier took this group to court only to be told that they had their right to freedom of speech.
Of course sixty minutes hammed up the story, as they do, but the pictures do not lie.
When asked why this head guy was so hateful, and more importantly that God was hateful, he said that this is the way god operated and that gods love was of much much less significant than his hate that disobeyed his laws.
The fact that this group would attack a whole country, one of the coalltion of the willing(U.s., U.k. and Australia) no less was extremely bizzare from my point of view. They didn't say Iraq or Pakistan was doomed but Australia!!
How rude and insulting. And the fact that this guy,when asked, made no concessions, let alone apologies for his hateful views, I was flabergasted on some emeotional level. To attack a whole (western) country, to use their children to picket with them and to level such obscene and insensitive remarks against a whole nation was the height of "brainwashing". This head guy may have been brainwashed when he was younger but to me it seems he had kept brainwashing himself for quite a long time.
And of course this guy was seeking more converts and more money to keep up his "fight" against these godless homosexuals and such.

Just another reason why I dont want to be affiliated with christianity. I do like some of the teachings of Jesus, some of the very practical and down-to-earth teachings that could help christians and non christians alike, however I will never be a christian in this life because I do not want to be associated with a religon that has so much negativity/serparation . Spiritually is not a 'one size fits all' phenomenom. Thats why I like Hinduism.
So (joephw) you see I dont attack christianty at every chance I get. I believe that christianity has a definate place in the world and has helped many people, however the churches, which are actually all the indivuals that make up the church, have a lot of work to do tho bring the true light of JC's teachings into a practial, commonsense daily practice for all christians within their own abilities .
I wonder why no christians have commented on sonhouses thread (Tres Dias) as it seems a very positive , practical group that seeks to unite chrictians and work on the core , unting beliefs rather than focussing on any dividing aspects of christiany.

BTW this guy said that the bible containd more about gods wrath and vengence than his love for humanity. Another distorted, cherry picked point of view or is this true?

rc

Moves
25 May 11
1 edit

The fact is Robbie some people are just dicks in spite of any ideology, and without theism (such that it's opposite - "atheism" makes sense) he would have found some other reason to commit the attrocities he did. Nothing was done in `the name of atheism' because atheism is nought other than a disbelief in gods. Many attrocit and ended up wrecking the lives of many instead.

You have asserted Agers that religion and the religious are guilty of atrocity and take great interest in proclaiming it, yet when its pointed out that atheists have also been guilty of atrocity you somehow find it rather uninteresting? why is that Agers? is it more hypocrisy on your part that when faced with some rather incontrovertible truths you somehow become sleepy? is that the best argument that you have? that you find it uninteresting? yet the old, religion has been guilty of this and that is hardly original nor inspiring and yet you seem to find it infinitely more interesting? who are you trying to fool? us? yourself?

Indeed let us take Cambodia, in which an attempt was made to introduce an atheist state under the Khmer Rouge. Were you aware that some 32,000 Buddhists monks were killed? and countless millions of other innocents and ethnic minorities? Why is that any less interesting or less significant than religious atrocities, it was after all carried out by atheists. Your hypocrisy in this regard is utterly without defence and contemptible i therefore suggest that you think deeply about your prejudices against religion and try to stop uttering these hackneyed platitudes like, 'religion is the scourge of humanity', when clearly the a-religious are equally as guilty of acts of atrocity and have nothing, i repeat that, nothing except their own human vision and in many instances, absurdities to proffer.

With what shall we surpass the sublime example of Christ? and you are deviod of anything of substance.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
25 May 11
2 edits

You have asserted Agers that religion and the religious are guilty of atrocity and take great interest in proclaiming it, yet when its pointed out that atheists have also been guilty of atrocity you somehow find it rather uninteresting? why is that Agers? is it more hypocrisy on your part that when faced with some rather incontrovertible truths you shall we surpass the sublime example of Christ? and you are deviod of anything of substance.
As I said (and you probably ignored) religious nuts either commit attrocities in an attempt to please some magic man in the sky or because they are simply dicks; atheist nuts on the other hand commit attrocities simply because they are dicks. Take the dicks out of this equation and you're still left with the religious nuts who commit attrocities in the false belief their god will smile upon them for such deeds. Your own religion and its policy towards blood transfusions is a prime example (based upon a dubious interpretation of scripture)

rc

Moves
25 May 11

As I said (and you probably ignored) religious nuts either commit attrocities in an attempt to please some magic man in the sky or because they are simply dicks; atheist nuts on the other hand commit attrocities simply because they are dicks. Take the dicks out of this equation and you're still left with the religious nuts who commit attrocities in the false b ...[text shortened]... owards blood transfusions is a prime example (based upon a dubious interpretation of scripture)
what is this? some feeble attempt to mitigate the facts that atrocities are carried out by the religious and a-religious? what motivates them hardly matters to the victims, does it?

what my beliefs and what we choose to practice have a bearing upon no one but ourselves, that is why it is termed the right of self determination. I doubt we shall be taking lessons from you about our own beliefs nor of our interpretation of scripture, for lets face it, someone carrying as acute prejudices as you is hardly likely to be able to view scripture objectively, are they.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
25 May 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
We just had a story on 60 minutes here and it was about a crazy christian group,(some baptist "church" in the states), who had introduded on the funerals of soldiers who were killed in the war with their hateful messages relating to homosexuality and how god hates them and they deserved what they got. I believe this group has been mentioned before on he ...[text shortened]... love for humanity. Another distorted, cherry picked point of view or is this true?
Aye...letting this sort of backward thinking favoured by fundamentalist zealots and bigots go unchecked would lead to one hell of a depraved world (and a scientifically, technologically destitute one to boot)

rc

Moves
25 May 11
1 edit

Aye...letting this sort of backward thinking favoured by fundamentalist zealots and bigots go unchecked would lead to one hell of a depraved world (and a scientifically, technologically destitute one to boot)
yes because science and technology have clearly not brought us to the brink of environmental disaster, feel your bum Agers, make sure your vitals are working.😕

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
25 May 11
2 edits

what is this? some feeble attempt to mitigate the facts that atrocities are carried out by the religious and a-religious? what motivates them hardly matters to the victims, does it?

what my beliefs and what we choose to practice have a bearing upon no one but ourselves, that is why it is termed the right of self determination. I doubt we shall ...[text shortened]... as acute prejudices as you is hardly likely to be able to view scripture objectively, are they.
Far from feeble I am pointing out the flaw in your thinking, moreover assuming such victims we are talking about aren't the dead sort of victims then I don't see why the motivations of religious or atheist wackos shouldn't matter. An atheist who behaves like an a-hole does so to appease his/her twisted self; relatively speaking, equally many people of this disposition will be agnostics or theists.
But *then*, in addition to the thoroughbred a-holes mentioned above, you have the people who aren't actually a-holes per-se, but behave like a-holes to appease some magic man in the sky; and they can do, with plenty of company, some truly horible stuff.

rc

Moves
25 May 11
1 edit

Far from feeble I am pointing out the flaw in your thinking, moreover assuming such victims we are talking about aren't the dead sort of victims then I don't see why the motivations of religious or atheist wackos shouldn't matter. An atheist who behaves like an a-hole does so to appease his/her self; equally many people of this disposition will be agnostics or magic man in the sky; and they can do, with plenty of company, some truly horible stuff.[/b]
soooo its ok if it appeases some humanist vision of a world deviod of religion, mmm, not very convincing.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
25 May 11
1 edit

soooo its ok if it appeases some humanist vision of a world deviod of religion, mmm, not very convincing.
Where did I say it was ok? I'm merely pointing out that religion aggravates the suffering which already exists in this world.

Or to put it simply for you: A world with religion is worse than a world without.