There is no God.  Live life for what it is.

There is no God. Live life for what it is.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 Jun 08

Originally posted by muppyman
Can there possibly be any point at all to this perrenial argument? When all the usual insults, accusations, and rebuttals have been hurled across the dividing line, all the protagonists will still ineviteably cleave to the same opinion they started with. What a waste of such impressive debate from such convincing oratory. If only it had a hope of going somewhere.
Agreed. But there is hope! At least we keep talking to each other.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
01 Jun 08
3 edits

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
"Do not pass by my epitaph, traveler.
But having stopped, listen and learn, then go your way.
There is no boat in Hades, no ferryman Charon,
No caretaker Aiakos, no dog Cerberus.
All we who are dead below
Have become bones and ashes, but nothing else.
I have spoken to you honestly, go on, traveler,
Lest even while dead I seem loquacious to you. circular reasoning of spiritual exploration. Live life for yourself and those you hold dear.
How different is the pleasure you feel from the pleasure of others?
How different is the pain or the understanding of things.

When you are dead those feeling will still go on in others almost
identically. The collection of those memories is all that will be missing.

Memories more divorced from the you as a child than the people
you pass on the street everyday.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 Jun 08

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
how bout you do exactly what you just told me to do?
I have. Everywhere in this forum. You should try to not only read my posts, but think about what you read more thoroughly through before you reach conclusions you cannot substantiate. I say this not as a rebuke, but because I really care.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 Jun 08

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
My list wouldn't include any names.

Jesus was a false idol as all gods are.
You had better hope you're right.

I'll be here to help try to convince you otherwise in case you should find some evidence to change your mind.

E

Moves
01 Jun 08

Originally posted by josephw
I have. Everywhere in this forum. You should try to not only read my posts, but think about what you read more thoroughly through before you reach conclusions you cannot substantiate. I say this not as a rebuke, but because I really care.
i prayed and never got answered; that's my excuse. 😕

P

Moves
01 Jun 08

You had better hope you're right.

I'll be here to help try to convince you otherwise in case you should find some evidence to change your mind.
I have looked for it. I have "opened my heart" as many Christians have suggested and other things too, but nothing.

I am open to actual evidence, but I haven't seen any - even when people have given what they see as evidence it often is pretty thin at best.

If there is a god then I find it hard to believe that it would give me an intellect and expect me to forgo its use to believe.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 Jun 08

I have looked for it. I have "opened my heart" as many Christians have suggested and other things too, but nothing.

I am open to actual evidence, but I haven't seen any - even when people have given what they see as evidence it often is pretty thin at best.

If there is a god then I find it hard to believe that it would give me an intellect and expect me to forgo its use to believe.
Oh no, don't forgo the use of your intellect just to believe. It's your intellect by which you discover what is true from false. The notion that one would have "blind faith" is misleading. But don't discount your spirit either. If the Bible is true, then we are tripart beings. Body, soul, and spirit. They work together.

Evidence? I just love this argument about there being no evidence. Is it really necessary that God should appear physically in the sky and announce His existence for all to see, so that no one would doubt His existence? We are not that stupid.

If there is no evidence for the existence of God, then the converse is true as well. There is no evidence for there not being a God either. There is just something wrong with that.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 Jun 08

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
i prayed and never got answered; that's my excuse. 😕
Try this. The answers are already in the word of God the Bible. I know this is unacceptable to you. Give yourself to God without reservation and all your prayers will be answered.

Think for a minute. You discount God's existence because He didn't answer your prayers. Does God know you? Does He know what you need? Are you the only one He doesn't listen to? Maybe you prayed to the wrong God. When you get to know Him you will know that He is good, and has your best interests and well being in mind. But He will not treat you like a helpless victim. He will not do for you what you can do for yourself. Maybe you need to differentiate between the two.

P

Moves
01 Jun 08
1 edit

Oh no, don't forgo the use of your intellect just to believe. It's your intellect by which you discover what is true from false. The notion that one would have "blind faith" is misleading. But don't discount your spirit either. If the Bible is true, then we are tripart beings. Body, soul, and spirit. They work together.

Evidence? I just love this argumen ...[text shortened]... e is no evidence for there not being a God either. There is just something wrong with that.
I just love this argument about there being no evidence. Is it really necessary that God should appear physically in the sky and announce .

I didn't make that argument. I didn't say anything about that did I. I asked for evidence - I didn't say what form that evidence had to take.

You have claimed there is evidence - show it to me!

If there is no evidence for the existence of God, then the converse is true as well. There is no evidence for there not being a God either. There is just something wrong with that

The onus is on those who claim it exists to provide the evidence that it exists.

I don't believe in the tooth fairy because there is a lack of evidence, not because there is evidence against it existing. Same with god.

Show me the evidence and I'd believe. Just like if you show me evidence the tooth fairy exists, I'll believe in the tooth fairy.

P

weedhopper

Moves
02 Jun 08

I prayed and was answered. And Pascal's Wager seems like a lead-pie cinch to me.

P

Moves
02 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
I prayed and was answered. And Pascal's Wager seems like a lead-pie cinch to me.
So you're betting on the christian god? How do you think that's the most probable one?

I don't think I could force myself to believe in something just out of a wager.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
02 Jun 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
And Pascal's Wager seems like a lead-pie cinch to me.
You've got to be kidding.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
02 Jun 08

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
You've got to be kidding.
Yikes!

Cape Town

Moves
02 Jun 08

If there is no evidence for the existence of God, .....
But do you admit that there is no evidence?

P

weedhopper

Moves
03 Jun 08

So you're betting on the christian god? How do you think that's the most probable one?

I don't think I could force myself to believe in something just out of a wager.
It was a joke. Apparently not a very good one.