The Universe

The Universe

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Nov 14

Originally posted by stellspalfie
is being able to 'see' it an essential quality of 'dimensions'?
It is if you want to keep from bumping into everything.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Nov 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
There is only one truth, the rest is all false speculation.
Yep, like the false speculation of a virgin birth or resurrection or the 6 day creation myth which isn't even christian or Jewish but plagiarized from ancient Egyptian mythology.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Nov 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
Yep, like the false speculation of a virgin birth or resurrection or the 6 day creation myth which isn't even christian or Jewish but plagiarized from ancient Egyptian mythology.
Your imagination runs wild.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Nov 14

Originally posted by black beetle
The word is "Theopneustos"
😡
You win bb!

That is exactly what the universe is shaped like!!! πŸ˜‰

I'm glad that's over with. I sent my mind out there trying to see the big picture and I almost got lost. Good to be back on earth. I can see enough from right here. πŸ˜€

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Nov 14

Your imagination runs wild.
I imagine, you do not have that capability.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 Nov 14

Originally posted by josephw

It looks to me that the universe is about 15 billion light years thick and about 200 billion light years across. Like a pancake.

Was this (your opening post) a blatant lie?

If not - what led you to this conclusion?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 Nov 14

I spent a little time trying to learn about the shape and size of the universe. It's rather complicated. I suppose I could take a month to study it further and try to grasp the astronomical language, but I would prefer to keep it simple.

It looks to me that the universe is about 15 billion light years thick and about 200 billion light years across. Like a ...[text shortened]... ake.

Can anyone give a simple explanation as to the consensus amongst astronomers about this?
Where did you get the 200 billion light year part? It if was that much different in one dimension than another there would be a vastly different reading of the WMAP data since there would be great temperature differences from say, up and down VS left to right. As it is, the WMAP shows a temperature that only deviates in parts per 10,000 or less and the latest maps tag it out to one part in 100,000. That says pretty clearly the universe is pretty well the same distance in all directions. The absolute size is up for grabs but we know since the universe expanded WAY faster than the speed of light (space can do that, relativity doesn't apply to the speed of space) and it is STILL expanding faster than c which suggests pretty clearly there are parts of the universe we can never see simply because light has not had a chance to get here yet and never will since the universe is in fact expanding past the speed of light. Best guess is our universe is about 50 odd billion LY across but spherical not pancake.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
02 Nov 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
According to the big bang theory, spacetime preceded the existence of matter. Perhaps you meant energy? Even so, I don't think you have a case.
The physics of the Planck era are not so clear, could you please direct me to a paper that proves this suggestion? According to the BB theory, all of space was contained in a single point, which is considered the beginning of the universe; in fact, in 1931 Lemaître pointed out that in the beginning all the mass of the universe was concentrated into a single point, where and when the fabric of spacetime came into existence😡

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
02 Nov 14

You win bb!

That is exactly what the universe is shaped like!!! πŸ˜‰

I'm glad that's over with. I sent my mind out there trying to see the big picture and I almost got lost. Good to be back on earth. I can see enough from right here. πŸ˜€
You still have to spell the word the right way😡

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
02 Nov 14

πŸ™‚

For once I agree with you. Except about the Vedas of course! πŸ˜‰
This is your loss.......

The Srimad Bhagavatam is always there.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Nov 14

I imagine, you do not have that capability.
I am looking forward to a better world when Christ returns to rule it with a rod of iron.

Moves
03 Nov 14

I am looking forward to a better world when Christ returns to rule it with a rod of iron.
you really expect a 2000yr old homo-erotic, peace loving hippy to rule the world with an iron rod?!?!?!?................a rod maybe, but not an iron one.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Nov 14

Originally posted by stellspalfie
you really expect a 2000yr old homo-erotic, peace loving hippy to rule the world with an iron rod?!?!?!?................a rod maybe, but not an iron one.
A wet noodle?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Nov 14
2 edits

Robert Jastrow - founder of NASA's Goddard Institute of Space Studies interviewed about comments on Big Bang Cosmology and speaks of the irony of its theological implications.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Nov 14

A wet noodle?
Blasphemy.