The tooth fairy exists

The tooth fairy exists

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
24 May 11
2 edits

I've been giving this matter some thought and have come to the conclusion that the tooth fairy probably exists. I can offer a number of justifications for this position which are, in structure, equal to the theists justification for the existence of "God".

- Firstly how am I to rationally dismiss the tooth fairy when I haven't proven it doesn't exist? Proof via incomplete knowledge
- Secondly I remember a couple of occasions as a youngster when the morning after putting a tooth under the pillow it had been replaced with a fifty pence coin (a fortune for a young child back in the day). I also recall that I asked my parents about this and they too put it down to the tooth fairy; and as what your parents tell you when you're young should not be taken to be lies, this alone is compelling proof that there is a tooth fairy. Proof via personal testimony
- Thirdly there are many youngsters that believe in the tooth fairy...they can't all be wrong! Proof via an appeal to numbers
- Fourthly, the fact that children grow out of this belief is correlated with the fact that their exposure to this entity lessens as they shed all their baby teeth - in short they forget about the tooth fairy and succumb to the lies about false gods. Proof via rational explanation for it's dismissal
- Fifth, I have faith the tooth fairy exists Proof via faith
- Sixth, Prove the tooth fairy doesn't exist! proof via an impossible challenge to unbelievers

I may think of more reasons later, but as you can see; the case for the tooth fairy is, by theist standards of proof and logic, pretty damned water tight ;]

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
24 May 11

Originally posted by Agerg
I've been giving this matter some thought and have come to the conclusion that the tooth fairy probably exists. I can offer a number of justifications for this position which are, in structure, equal to the theists justification for the existence of "God".

- Firstly how am I to rationally dismiss the tooth fairy when I haven't proven it doesn't exist? [b]Pr ...[text shortened]... he tooth fairy is, by theist standards of proof and logic, pretty damned water tight ;]
Really silly don't you think?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
24 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
Really silly don't you think?
If I thought it was silly I wouldn't have faith now would I? ;]

- seventh, people keep trying to turn me away from their faith to advance their own nefarious agendas Proof via persecution

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
24 May 11

If I thought it was silly I wouldn't have faith now would I? ;]

- seventh, people keep trying to turn me away from their faith to advance their own nefarious agendas [b]Proof via persecution
[/b]
So faith in sillyness. Sorry....

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
24 May 11

Originally posted by galveston75
So faith in sillyness. Sorry....
Well you believe in a comic book villain the Joker, ahem...sorry Satan! You have no place to be calling my faith silly ;]

w

Moves
24 May 11

Well you believe in a comic book villain the Joker, ahem...sorry Satan! You have no place to be calling my faith silly ;]
So if religious folk are all so stupid as you say, why then would you spend your time trying to reason with them?

Of course, the same could be said for those of faith. Since the Bible calls those who deny that God exists fools, what do you become as you continue trying to reason with a fool?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
24 May 11

Originally posted by whodey
So if religious folk are all so stupid as you say, why then would you spend your time trying to reason with them?

Of course, the same could be said for those of faith. Since the Bible calls those who deny that God exists fools, what do you become as you continue trying to reason with a fool?
Please point out where I say religious folk are stupid...thanks in advance.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 May 11

We can only hope, for their sake, that they will suddenly come to their
senses and realize how foolish they have been so they might believe
and be saved. So we continue trying to reason with them.

w

Moves
24 May 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
We can only hope, for their sake, that they will suddenly come to their
senses and realize how foolish they have been so they might believe
and be saved. So we continue trying to reason with them.
Funny, but that is not how Jesus instructed his disciples to bahave. They were sent into cities to preach the word and if rejected, they shook the dust off their feet and moved on to those who have not heard the mssage known as "the good news".

I think you will find that trying to convince someone of something is often fruitless. The natural reaction is oppose whatever it is someone is trying to convince you about.

w

Moves
24 May 11

Please point out where I [b]say religious folk are stupid...thanks in advance.[/b]
What are you calling them then if not stupid? You compare faith in God to the tooth fairy. It seems to me you are comparing the mental ability of children to those of faith.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
24 May 11
3 edits

What are you calling them then if not stupid? You compare faith in God to the tooth fairy. It seems to me you are comparing the mental ability of children to those of faith.
Deluded, misguided, brain-washed, taken in, irrational in at least one instance, lied to, done a disservice,...

None of these equate to the charge of stupidity. Moreover will you kindly not reference my faith in the tooth fairy as childish please; I find it very offensive. Just because you HATE the tooth fairy is no excuse for belittling me in my earnest faith that she exists.

Cape Town

Moves
24 May 11

If you can see a parallel between your own faith and the faith of children in the tooth fairy, and you also believe that children are stupid for believing in the tooth fairy, then either there are differences between your faiths, or it is you that is admitting to stupidity.
So it is now up to you to either admit that the children are not as childish or stupid in their faith as you claim, or that there is a difference between their faith and yours.
So far Agerg's description of his faith seems to me to be no different from yours.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 May 11

Funny, but that is not how Jesus instructed his disciples to bahave. They were sent into cities to preach the word and if rejected, they shook the dust off their feet and moved on to those who have not heard the mssage known as "the good news".

I think you will find that trying to convince someone of something is often fruitless. The natural reaction is oppose whatever it is someone is trying to convince you about.
Yes, I agree. Even when they finally realize they are wrong their
reaction is still to oppose the truth. But I can't help being concerned
for them anyway and still hope they will get over their subbornness
and pride and accept the truth that leads to eternal life.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 May 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
If you can see a parallel between your own faith and the faith of children in the tooth fairy, and you also believe that children are stupid for believing in the tooth fairy, then either there are differences between your faiths, or it is you that is admitting to stupidity.
So it is now up to you to either admit that the children are not as childish or s ...[text shortened]... and yours.
So far Agerg's description of his faith seems to me to be no different from yours.
Children are not stupid to believe in the Tooth Fairy.
We want them to believe in the Tooth Fairy and
Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. We see no harm
in them believing in these things and it makes them
very excited and happy. Isn't that what we want for
our childern - to be happy?

P

Moves
24 May 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Children are not stupid to believe in the Tooth Fairy.
We want them to believe in the Tooth Fairy and
Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. We see no harm
in them believing in these things and it makes them
very excited and happy. Isn't that what we want for
our childern - to be happy?
So then you need to show the difference between their faith and yours. Or admit that your God has the same degree of evidence as does the Tooth Fairy.

--- Penguin