the time before time

the time before time

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by galveston75
"I asked why the bible is so badly written."

Intersting comment but in fact it was written perfectly. It's not a fiction book or travel guide or a how to dummie book.
OK
For the sake of this argument I will accept
that the bible is historically accurate
that the bible is an accurate description of creation
that the bible is the most enlightening book ever
that the bible is the only way for man to redeem himself

given that I accept all of that

Why are some passages so badly written?
(if it is the word of god)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Great literature translates.
I've just read Sophie's World again and maybe its better in the original
Norwegian but its still great in English (and has done pretty well in the
other 50 languages it's been translated into)
I read the Wiki on Sophies World and it sounds, oh, about 1000 times more interesting than the bible. Thanks for mentioning it here.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
01 May 13

OK
For the sake of this argument I will accept
that the bible is historically accurate
that the bible is an accurate description of creation
that the bible is the most enlightening book ever
that the bible is the only way for man to redeem himself

given that I accept all of that

[b]Why are some passages so badly written?

(if it is the word of god)[/b]
What do you mean by badly written? Thanks.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
01 May 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
I read the Wiki on Sophies World and it sounds, oh, about 1000 times more interesting than the bible. Thanks for mentioning it here.
I would urge everyone NOT to read the Wiki ... at least not all the way down,
it spoils the novel.

The Solataire Mystery is also good but not of the same calibre as Sophie's World.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 May 13

I would urge everyone NOT to read the Wiki ... at least not all the way down,
it spoils the novel.

The Solataire Mystery is also good but not of the same calibre as Sophie's World.
One note of interest (to some of us anyway), I am watching the NASA channel, they are showing work being done on the ISS.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 May 13

Great literature translates.
I've just read Sophie's World again and maybe its better in the original
Norwegian but its still great in English (and has done pretty well in the
other 50 languages it's been translated into)
Maybe it is poor wording by the translators that you see as poorly written. The scriptures are said to be written by holy men inspired by God. It does not say God wrote it all with His own finger.

I think you should know the original Hebrew and orignal Greek languages before you can judge whether or not it is badly written. It has been clear for a long time that the translators were not inspired to make perfect translations. These translators did the best they could with what they knew about the languages. However, both Hebrew and Greek went through changes just like English has over the years. So I am just saying that perhaps it is poorly worded translations and the fact that you don't understand spiritual matters from God.

Moves
02 May 13

the bible is badly written because it claims to contain messages and morals of the up most importance. yet it is written in such a vague way that it is open to multiple interpretations. hence all the different beliefs the theists have. you can not agree on what the metaphors mean, you cannot agree on what it literal and what is analogy. it contradicts itself, the characters behave in a inconstant way. although it was not written for any particular time it contains many laws and morals that are only relevant to the time it was written. it claims to be written for all men, yet is all centered around one tiny part of the world, excluding 99% of earthly cultures.

ive read roman books from the reign of tiberius and they are crystal clear, they are written in a factual way because their purpose is to record facts.

ive read the illiad, juvenile and greek tragedies they are written in metaphors, similes and analogies because they are not factual or the main focus is not on the facts, the writers can use clever writing styles to make the art more interesting.

a good writer needs to know when to use a factual writing style and when to be creative. the bible writers have gotten it all wrong.....its almost like they are writing a legendary story rather than an historical document.

bad writing.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 May 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
the bible is badly written because it claims to contain messages and morals of the up most importance. yet it is written in such a vague way that it is open to multiple interpretations. hence all the different beliefs the theists have. you can not agree on what the metaphors mean, you cannot agree on what it literal and what is analogy. it contradicts i ...[text shortened]... most like they are writing a legendary story rather than an historical document.

bad writing.
Not 'almost' writing a legendary story. In fact, writing a legendary story with no more reality than the idea the Earth sits on the back of a turtle which sits on the back of a lion or some such.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
02 May 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
Not 'almost' writing a legendary story. In fact, writing a legendary story with no more reality than the idea the Earth sits on the back of a turtle which sits on the back of a lion or some such.
Legends have a basis in fact. I think myth is the one you want. The big book of fairy tales is mostly myth.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 May 13

Originally posted by Kepler
Legends have a basis in fact. I think myth is the one you want. The big book of fairy tales is mostly myth.
Jesus is defintely a legend because myths do not change the world.

"Throughout history, the influence Jesus had on the lives of people has never been surpassed. No other great leader has inspired so many positive changes in the lives of his followers."

http://powertochange.com/discover/faith/whoisjesus6/

"What did Jesus Christ do for the world? The possibilities of research is endless! Christian music, art, architecture dominants the West. Christian values shaped our civilisation. Christian scientists paved the way into a new world. Christian values led to mass education, healthcare and development…the lists goes on."

http://www.byfaith.co.uk/paul200914.htm

Both liberals and conservatives can agree that Jesus changed the world more than anyone else. The following is an example from a liberal source, The Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-ortberg/six-surprising-ways-jesus_b_1773225.html

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
02 May 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
the bible is badly written because it claims to contain messages and morals of the up most importance. yet it is written in such a vague way that it is open to multiple interpretations. hence all the different beliefs the theists have. you can not agree on what the metaphors mean, you cannot agree on what it literal and what is analogy. it contradicts i ...[text shortened]... most like they are writing a legendary story rather than an historical document.

bad writing.
I respect your view and I do completely understand why many have this same viewpoint. But there is a reason why God had the Bible written in exactly they way it was. I'm not saying this to insult anyone at all and hope I don't.
But if one could try to understand this is like no other book in the world. It was only pinned by men that God choose and these are not human thoughts and not designed by man. Sure as was mentioned before, some of their different personalities do show in those writings and God had no problem with that as it is there, but he no doubt held that in check. These men were only doing a secretarial work and were guided by God's spirit.
Not all men want to know what God says and many could care less. But the Bible offers some great prospects for the future but in oreder to gain that and for God eventually let one attain it, he has to see into ones heart to see if one is willing to search for it. That gift of living forever one day is very precious and one that he wants all to have if one is willing to ask him for help and would be willing to do what God ask and that is to love him and their fellow man and to take care of the earth.
So....yes the bible is not written in a way to make this easy for just all to sit down and read thru it like the books we read that are writtten by man. It takes God's help to understand it and that help has to be requested from us to him. In general most of it can be understand to some level, but to really understand the deeper parts and to have it all come together takes more and only God can open that up to ones with the correct heart condition he is looking for. And even then the bible's understandings have only come in parts. It has been by his timetable that has allowed it to gradually become cleary to understand.
In fact as time has passed it has become clearer that is is the most important and incredible book ever written knowing what the implications are for mankind and this planet that this book speaks of.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 May 13
1 edit

So....yes the bible is not written in a way to make this easy for just all to sit down and read thru it like the books we read that are writtten by man.
One of the simple things we teach children is "writing for purpose" and an
important aspect of that is to "know your audience". Most 11 year-olds
know that there are big differences between writing a story for their 5 year-old
brother and a letter to their local politician.

Why then can the all great god with this important
message write it all down in a coherent style ... was it
beyond him?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
02 May 13

One of the simple things we teach children is "writing for purpose" and an
important aspect of that is to "know your audience". Most 11 year-olds
know that there are big differences between writing a story for their 5 year-old
brother and a letter to their local politician.

Why then can the all great god with this important
message write it all down in a coherent style ... was it
beyond him?
Well I don't know how else to say this and I'm not trying to be rude but it's only incoherent to those God will not let understand it. The Bible itself says this so that indicates the truth of this issue.

Moves
02 May 13

Well I don't know how else to say this and I'm not trying to be rude but it's only incoherent to those God will not let understand it. The Bible itself says this so that indicates the truth of this issue.
taking your words as true would mean that the only people on earth who god wants to understand his words are j.w's as you are the only people who follow your translation of the bible.......this means that 99.99% of people who ever ever lived have been excluded by god for one reason or anther. this contradicts the opinion that god wants the word spreading. totally inconsistent.

regarding the difficulty of the text, god making it hard so only the people who make the effort to understand him are rewarded. but the bible is so hard to understand even you who would consider themselves part of the true faith need a bunch of other men to tell you what the bible means, does this mean you have been excluded by god as well?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 May 13

So we can agree that it is badly written for the vast majority of the world.

Which is a crap way of trying to get your message across.