The story of Laura Buxton I and II

The story of Laura Buxton I and II

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
27 Apr 13

For people on both sides who think about miracles and prophesies:

http://www.radiolab.org/people/laura-buxton/

There is a "listen" button and a "download" button. The segment is the first 20 minutes or so. Try a listen for a few minutes until you know why I'm recommending it to such people as described above, and decide if it's for you.

The full hour has to do with related things.

Moves
27 Apr 13

Originally posted by JS357
For people on both sides who think about miracles and prophesies:

http://www.radiolab.org/people/laura-buxton/

There is a "listen" button and a "download" button. The segment is the first 20 minutes or so. Try a listen for a few minutes until you know why I'm recommending it to such people as described above, and decide if it's for you.

The full hour has to do with related things.
is this the balloon lady, laura buxton? i cant listen at the moment due to my missus watching 'the voice'😞 but i think i know the story

Moves
27 Apr 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
is this the balloon lady, laura buxton? i cant listen at the moment due to my missus watching 'the voice'😞 but i think i know the story
That's her. Them.

The story is rather dry when read about. The Radiolab report is riveting and goes into explanations of how's and why's.

Moves
27 Apr 13

Originally posted by JS357
That's her. Them.

The story is rather dry when read about. The Radiolab report is riveting and goes into explanations of how's and why's.
does it look at the statistical odds it happening?

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
27 Apr 13

It is interesting so far. A discussion of how random events can appear miraculous and how humans aren't very good at imagining randomness.

Moves
27 Apr 13

Originally posted by Kepler
It is interesting so far. A discussion of how random events can appear miraculous and how humans aren't very good at imagining randomness.
have you ever listened to the infinite monkey cage? they did a brilliant episode on coincidence,random events and statistical odds. made me feel a bit thick, but pushed me to back into studying a bit of maths.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
27 Apr 13

have you ever listened to the infinite monkey cage? they did a brilliant episode on coincidence,random events and statistical odds. made me feel a bit thick, but pushed me to back into studying a bit of maths.
That's one I must look up some time. Probability is something I find fascinating.

Moves
27 Apr 13

That's one I must look up some time. Probability is something I find fascinating.
it is fascinating. especially as we as humans seem to struggle with it so much. they do this thing where they look at how many people do you need before to make it probable that you will get two with the same birthday and most people predict that you will need 183 or something like that, but the correct answer is around 20, still blows my tiny mind.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
27 Apr 13

it is fascinating. especially as we as humans seem to struggle with it so much. they do this thing where they look at how many people do you need before to make it probable that you will get two with the same birthday and most people predict that you will need 183 or something like that, but the correct answer is around 20, still blows my tiny mind.
20 is about right. I play that game with my own students. Works well. We aren't very good at seeing that random things are random and we aren't very good at predicting what randomness looks like.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
27 Apr 13
2 edits

Maybe, that is why you guys don't believe in the creation of the heavens and the earth and life forms by God, because you think it could all easily happen by random chance and the random chance of natural selection. Just add enough time, like billions of years, which we don't have anyway. Does this sound familiar?

Moves
27 Apr 13

20 is about right. I play that game with my own students. Works well. We aren't very good at seeing that random things are random and we aren't very good at predicting what randomness looks like.
do you teach maths?

Moves
27 Apr 13
1 edit

They don't do the math. That would be like the Drake equation (too many guesses at probability). But later in a more quantifiable example, they cover the idea that seemingly unlikely coincidences are very likely to occur, given enough opportunities.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
28 Apr 13

It's about 50% at around 20 or 21 as I recall. And then about 90% at double that.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
28 Apr 13

do you teach maths?
Maths, physics, statistics. Occasionally they let me do some real research as well.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
28 Apr 13

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
It's about 50% at around 20 or 21 as I recall. And then about 90% at double that.
23 gets you 50.7%, 50 gets you 97% and so on. So don't do as I do and bet on 20 or 21! I always make sure to use loaded dice, I refer to my students' records to find out whether or not any of them do share a birthday!