1. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 07:52
    Originally posted by Dasa
    On second thought you may be correct because I do not make copies of my posts.

If it is what I said then I stand by it 100%

No.......one million %
    Cheat , fraud , sicko , banned - NOW
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 10:07
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No faith can be based on evidence. I've said this before, too. What I did not say was "personal whim". We are given the Owner's Manual for life on earth. Ignore it at your own peril.
    You have stated categorically in the past that belief in god MUST be on faith alone and that
    there can be no evidence for god.

This means that you MUST also believe that the bible is the true word of god also purely on
    faith.

Given that it's possible to believe anything on faith, and that it's impossible to rule out the
    existence OF anything if you accept faith as a reasonable way to believe things, then what
    you choose to believe or not is by definition a personal whim, and irrational to boot.

You believe in the god of the bible and the truth of the bible because you want to, because it
    makes you happy, because it's your cultural upbringing and what you were indoctrinated to
    believe. You have no rational reasonable justification for any of it.

You believe on faith, blind faith, which means you believe because of personal whim.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 17:44
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You have stated categorically in the past that belief in god MUST be on faith alone and that
    there can be no evidence for god.

This means that you MUST also believe that the bible is the true word of god also purely on
    faith.

Given that it's possible to believe anything on faith, and that it's impossible to rule out the
    existence OF anything ...[text shortened]... f it.

You believe on faith, blind faith, which means you believe because of personal whim.
    We believe on faith, but it is not blind faith. We have evidence for
    the truth of certain things in the Holy Bible. We have written records
    outside the Holy Bible of its truth. We have the Christian church
    that has survived persecution just as Jesus predicted it would. And
    for those willing to accept it we have the burial clothes of Christ.
    This is just a small part of the evidence available. So yes, it does
    require faith, but it does not have to be blind faith, unless one keeps
    their eyes closed to the evidence.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 22:16
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    No, this is wrong. My faith is not blind faith. And my faith is not a personal whim. Millions of Christians would also be as insulted as I am by this "definition".

Wikipedia has this to say about Christian faith:

Faith in Christianity is based in and on the work and teachings of Jesus Christ. In this way Christianity declares not to be distinguished by its faith, but by the object of its faith. Faith is an act of trust or reliance. Rather than being passive, faith leads to an active life aligned with the ideals and the example of the one being trusted. It sees the mystery of God and his grace and seeks to know and become obedient to God. To a Christian; faith is not static but causes one to learn more of God and grow; it has its origin in God.

In Christianity faith causes change as it seeks a greater understanding of God. Faith is not fideism or simple obedience to a set of rules or statements. Before the Christian has faith, they must understand in whom and in what they have faith. Without understanding, there cannot be true faith and that understanding is built on the foundation of the community of believers, the scriptures and traditions and on the personal experiences of the believer. In English translations of the New Testament, the word faith generally corresponds to the Greek noun πίστις (pistis) or the Greek verb πιστεύω (pisteuo), meaning "to trust, to have confidence, faithfulness, to be reliable, to assure".

In the Bible (Hebrews 11) says that faith is "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jan '12 06:44
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No, this is wrong. My faith is not blind faith. And my faith is not a personal whim. Millions of Christians would also be as insulted as I am by this "definition".
    If you feel insulted, it is because you gave us the wrong information. All we did was clarify what you yourself were claiming. The problem is, you want to hold two contradictory claims:
    1. That there is no evidence for the existence of God otherwise your faith would not be genuine.
    2. That your faith is based on evidence.

And whatever we say that is a logical conclusion from 1. or 2. you simply claim that your stand is the other one.

This latest post of yours essentially says that your faith is evidence based - clearly contradicting some of your earlier posts on the subject. You need to pick 1 or 2 and let us know which it is. Simply feeling insulted will not help anyone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree