The Passion

The Passion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
25 Mar 08

A few days late, I know, but I was wondering what people's views on this were...

Who was responsible for the death of Jesus?

What was he convicted of, and was he guilty?

If there is anything else interesting you can think of, I'd be interested.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
25 Mar 08

Originally posted by HumeA
A few days late, I know, but I was wondering what people's views on this were...

Of course he was guilty. Republicans have been telling us for years that no innocent man ever
gets the death penalty.

Nemesio

m

Moves
25 Mar 08

Who was responsible? From what I can see of the story, his Father was responsible, it was His idea from the beginning.
Jesus didn't have to be guilty of anything , tradition has it that his fate was already sealed by birth, and prophesies from the old testament were assumed to be aimed at him, e.g. the well known and freely quoted one from Isiaah saying something like " he was wounded for our transgressions, bruised for our iniquities, the chastisement of our peace was upon him, and with his stripes we are healed.
All ridiculous clap-trap in my opinion, but if I was the coroner, I would lay the responsibilty sqarely on the shoulders of his Father.

c

Moves
26 Mar 08

This was the purpose for which Jesus was born.

The Jewish high priests (puppets of the Roman government) accused him of blasphemy which was punishable by death according to Jewish Law. The Jews however, under Roman Law were not allowed to put anyone to death without Roman permission. So they had to get permission from Pontius Pilate (Governor of Judea). He was convicted of blasphemy and crucified.

Was he guilty?
No he was not because blasphemy isn't blasphemy if it's true. 🙂

d

Moves
26 Mar 08

First off, do not redicule God please, for your own sakes.

We are all responsible for his death because he died for our sins.

He was convicted by the Jewish high priests of blasphemy. He was sentenced to die by Pontius Pilate for being the source of unrest in a province already known for great trouble among the
Roman authorities.

He did not blaspheme God. Even Pontius Pilate washed his hands before the multitude saying "I am innocent of the blood of this just person." For he knew that for envy they had delivered him.

Before you challenge the scripture, please reflect on the following.

1) Jesus Christ was a real historical person that we can know because he was mentioned in other histories besides the Holy Bible. These other sources had no vested interest in Christianity.

2) An extremely large number of faithful people recognize that He cured many of sickness and preached a new Gospel of love, not for your friends and family, but for everyone even your enemies.

3) This has caused many to attempt to marginalize him as only a great prophet.

4) However, he can not be a great prophet, for he did say he was the Son of God. Because of this, he must be either who he says he is, a pathalogical liar, or a raveing lunatic. Neither the second or third can be true given the historical record.

5) How many have given their lives for no personal benefit to spread the word of the Gospel. I do not think there is a similar comparison to be made of any of the other known religions.

6) As far as I am aware, there is no other religion that says you can never earn your way into Heaven. You can only receive Heaven by God's grace. Because this is unique among the theologies of the world, it deserves special analysis. The theology does not flatter man's ego and it therefore does not appear to be inspired by great earthly minds.

Again, I ask for your own sakes, not mine, that you reflect carefully on his Gospel before making a derisive comment about the validity of His Glory and Majesty.

"May the Lord bless you and keep you, may the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you, May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.

m

Moves
26 Mar 08

Originally posted by dinosaurus
First off, do not redicule God please, for your own sakes.

He was convicted by the Jewish high priests of blasphemy. He was sentenced to die by Pontius Pilate for being the source of unrest in a province already known for great trouble among the
Roman authorities.

He did not bl ...[text shortened]... acious unto you, May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace." Amen.
If you seriously consider that this God would take offence at a genuine opinion which happened to differ from yours, then let Him do something about it. But if you think that your thinly veiled threat of God's retribution being exacted upon the mockers will make us quiver, then here is His chance to either back you up or back away. Take your best shot God, if you can't abide critics.

c

Moves
26 Mar 08

Originally posted by muppyman
If you seriously consider that this God would take offence at a genuine opinion which happened to differ from yours, then let Him do something about it. But if you think that your thinly veiled threat of God's retribution being exacted upon the mockers will make us quiver, then here is His chance to either back you up or back away. Take your best shot God, if you can't abide critics.
Who are you to critisize God? God will not be mocked.

m

Moves
26 Mar 08

Originally posted by chappy1
Who am I?, Just someone who does not accept that a God who is constantly harrased by his worshipers to answer their prayers and supplications, would be so humanly petty as to take time out to swat a fly like me for not bending the knee to Him, or does he still send his followers to do His dirty work for Him while he is busily engaged in allowing tiny children to die in unutterable agony so that his people can remember how good He is for receiving them to His bosom?

m

Moves
26 Mar 08

In other words just an old man who categorically rejects the possibility that this God can exist.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Mar 08

If God will not be mocked then what are you worried about? Either he will be mocked or he wont. Make up your mind.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Mar 08

He was legally guilty as he was convicted of the crime.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Mar 08

Was he guilty?
No he was not because blasphemy isn't blasphemy if it's true. 🙂
From Merriam Webster:
1 a: the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God
b: the act of claiming the attributes of deity
2: irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable

Clearly he was guilty of both 1 b: and 2, whether or not he told the truth.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Mar 08

Originally posted by dinosaurus
If I go to hell for my sins, am I still partially responsible for his death, and was his sacrifice for me a waste of time?

c

Moves
26 Mar 08

Originally posted by muppyman
Who am I?, Just someone who does not accept that a God who is constantly harrased by his worshipers to answer their prayers and supplications, would be so humanly petty as to take time out to swat a fly like me for not bending the knee to Him, or does he still send his followers to do His dirty work for Him while he is busily engaged in allowing tiny childr ...[text shortened]... nutterable agony so that his people can remember how good He is for receiving them to His bosom?
Well, I hope you do come to know him someday.

c

Moves
26 Mar 08

Originally posted by twhitehead
If God will not be mocked then what are you worried about? Either he will be mocked or he wont. Make up your mind.
I'm not worried just offended.