The Name of God

The Name of God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
05 Jan 07

Nordlys said: "One of the guys he named was Allah, which is the Arabic word for God."

Is that accurate?

By what name do Arabic speaking Christians call the God of Abraham? That is, do they call the Father of the Holy Trinity by the name Allah?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
05 Jan 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Nordlys said: "One of the guys he named was Allah, which is the Arabic word for God."

Is that accurate?

By what name do Arabic speaking Christians call the God of Abraham? That is, do they call the Father of the Holy Trinity by the name Allah?
Probably the simplist thing to do is call God in the way he revealed himself to Moses. Just think of Popeye. I am what I am.

N

The sky

Moves
05 Jan 07

Is that accurate?

According to my encyclopaedia and wikipedia, they do.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
05 Jan 07

Is that accurate?

It is imperative that the term Allah not be totally destroyed in Western minds. Otherwise, even Arab Christians will be questioned as to their authenticity and worship of the one, triune God, according to Christian orthodoxy. Such linguistic destruction also threatens to harm relationships with Muslims and potentially arouses hatred. The problem is linguistic, not theological.

Arabic was spoken at Pentecost, a watershed event in church history (Acts 2:8–11). Its usage regarding the worship of God predates English. In fact, Muhammad may have borrowed the term from Christians and Jews of his day. A Washington University anthropology professor states, “Allah is the south Semitic version of the north Semitic Elohim…so that the Eloh and Allah versions appear to come from the same Semitic root.” Let’s exercise caution in speaking of Islam’s different tenets and not demonize Allah, who is found throughout the Old and New Testaments in the Arabic Bible, as is God in our English version. The apostle John said, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Allah, and the Word was Allah” (see John 1:1). We can join our Arab brothers and sisters in Christ who often say, “Allah be praised!”

-- Helen Louise Herndon

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
05 Jan 07

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
It is imperative that the term Allah not be totally destroyed in Western minds. Otherwise, even Arab Christians will be questioned as to their authenticity and worship of the one, triune God, according to Christian orthodoxy. Such linguistic destruction also threatens to harm relationships with Muslims and potentially arouses hatred. The problem is linguis ...[text shortened]... ab brothers and sisters in Christ who often say, “Allah be praised!”

-- Helen Louise Herndon
I see. So, do you worship Allah?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
05 Jan 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
According to my encyclopaedia and wikipedia, they do.
Do Muslims think that their god is the same as the Jewish god?

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
05 Jan 07

I see. So, do you worship Allah?
Not in the word's current denotation. In the traditional Arabic meaning, yes.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
05 Jan 07

Not in the word's current denotation. In the traditional Arabic meaning, yes.
So, is Nordlys wrong that the word currently denotes the Christian God?

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
05 Jan 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
Probably the simplist thing to do is call God in the way he revealed himself to Moses. Just think of Popeye. I am what I am.
I remember the Jews got mad when Jesus said, "I AM".

a

Moves
05 Jan 07

Is that accurate?

Yes Arab Christians say Allah, and not only that,

If you know , the language of Jesus was Aramaic , go to this link and check what GOD means in Aramaic and also you can hear it.

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_of_G-d/Elah/elah.html

It is exactly the same as Arabic, which make me belive that it is the right word.

S

Moves
05 Jan 07

Originally posted by RBHILL
I remember the Jews got mad when Jesus said, "I AM".
Really? Were you there? Please tell ... I have never heared an eyewitness story by anybody who has really been there.

a

Moves
05 Jan 07
1 edit

It is imperative that the term Allah not be totally destroyed in Western minds. Otherwise, even Arab Christians will be questioned as to their authenticity and worship of the one, triune God, according to Christian orthodoxy. Such linguistic destruction also threatens to harm relationships with Muslims and potentially arouses hatred. The problem is linguis ...[text shortened]... ab brothers and sisters in Christ who often say, “Allah be praised!”

-- Helen Louise Herndon
In fact, Muhammad may have borrowed the term from Christians and Jews of his day.

I'm sorry your statment is wrong. The word Allah exists in Arabic before the prophet. And people in Arabis used it to refere to the only GOD, although they worshiped many GODs but they belived that those GODs are mediators to the only GOD , Allah.

a

Moves
05 Jan 07

Do Muslims think that their god is the same as the Jewish god?
Yes

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
05 Jan 07

Originally posted by Sushill
Really? Were you there? Please tell ... I have never heared an eyewitness story by anybody who has really been there.
It is called Living by faith in the word of God.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
05 Jan 07

Originally posted by ahosyney
Yes
Then why all the fighting between the two peoples?