The human need to outgrow God

The human need to outgrow God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
11 Mar 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
I created a thread a while ago about how I felt God (or at least 'the idea' of God) was holding us back as a species.

I'll happily concede that faith gives strength, comfort and hope to those who have it, but such a reliance on a divine force to 'lift us up' seriously impedes our shared human enterprise of 'rising up' of our own accord.

How much faster would we have progressed as a species without God holding us back?
Yes, how people feel about God is holding us back as a species.

Finally something both atheists and those of faith can agree upon.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Mar 18

Originally posted by @whodey
Yes, how people feel about God is holding us back as a species.

Finally something both atheists and those of faith can agree upon.
Is that an example sir of selective reading or selective use of brain cells?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Mar 18

Is that an example sir of selective reading or selective use of brain cells?
And is this an example of trolling or substance?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Mar 18

"My comments are brief this morning."

Invariably a good thing.
Lmfao

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Mar 18

Originally posted by @secondson
[b]"Curious though you put all the focus on 'words' and not 'actions.' "

Curious too that you appear to be unaware that the Bible says both things. Everyone, including Christians, will be judged based on both their words and works.

The difference being in the object of their faith.[/b]
Only God judges me, and He does it all the time. Lmfao

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Mar 18

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
Only God judges me, and He does it all the time. Lmfao
God judges justly. No need to worry. Everyone will recieve accordingly.

Some to life eternal. Others to eternal condemnation.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Mar 18

Lmfao

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Mar 18
2 edits

I'm confident any benevolent deity will look favorably upon how I have lived my life and will not judge me too harshly for not being convinced of his existence.

Do you mean "benevolent" to the point of being unrighteous ?

Do you mean a kind of mushy Barney the Dinosaur benevolence who will be "benevolent" to look the other way when you sinned? Turning his ever smiley face so as to not see your transgression.

Do you mean a "benevolence" which would encourage you to sin all the more? That would be an unrighteous "benevolence".

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Mar 18

Originally posted by @sonship
I'm confident any benevolent deity will look favorably upon how I have lived my life and will not judge me too harshly for not being convinced of his existence.

Do you mean "benevolent" to the point of being unrighteous ?

Do you mean a kind of mushy Barney the Dinosaur benevolence who will be "benevolent" to look the other way when yo ...[text shortened]... nce" which would encourage you to sin all the more? That would be an unrighteous "benevolence".
Who are you to judge God or tell Him the required equilibrium between benevolence and righteousness?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Mar 18
2 edits

Who are you to judge God or tell Him the required equilibrium between benevolence and righteousness?

I am not dictating to God at all. I am contemplatively musing over the accounts of Him through the Bible.

By reading Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy and other books of the Bible I get a picture of His ways.

I stick to my reading. I do not shut the book close when I see something I don't like. I read through consecutively and get a healthy steady diet of digesting God's WAYS.

He unfolds His nature to us as we read the history of His interaction with Israel and the world.

Yes, no doubt, I read of His mercy, longsuffering, patience, kindness. Without question some benevolence in this sense is seen.

But watch out. I also see He is absolutely righteous.
He is forgiving in a righteous way, not in a sloppy, sentimental, ultra liberal, permissivist way.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Mar 18

Originally posted by @sonship

I am not dictating to God at all. I am contemplatively musing over the accounts of Him through the Bible.

By reading [b]Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
and other books of the Bible I get a picture of His ways. ...[text shortened]... is forgiving in a righteous way, not in a sloppy, sentimental, ultra liberal, permissivist way.[/b]
We are in agreement that a truly benevolent God wouldn't be the Christian God illustrated in the Bible.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Mar 18

We are in agreement that a truly benevolent God wouldn't be the Christian God illustrated in the Bible.
We are in no such agreement and never could be on that.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Mar 18
3 edits

But watch out. I also see He is absolutely righteous.

When I was a very young Christian I read the Bible looking for ways I could keep doing what I was doing.

I remember that I liked this verse in Ecclesiastes.

"Rejoice, young man in your childhood, and let your heart be merry in the days of your youth,

and walk in the ways of your heart and in the sight of your eyes, ..." (Ecc. 11:9a)

I said to myself "Cool! This Christianity stuff isn't too bad after all. Here the Bible is telling me to keep on keeping on just doing whatever my heart says to do. Cool! "

But somehow the REST of the passage bothered me ... um... just a little bit.

" ... and walk in the ways of your heart and in the sight of your eyes. But know that for all these things God will bring you into judgment."

It wasn't quite that simple.
I could do whatever, but God would record, God would remember, God would judge.

I learned latter that God would ALSO give grace and empowerment to live unto Him.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
12 Mar 18

The ones to eternal condemnation are the goats.

The Sheep of Christ hear his voice.
They follow his commandments
They get eternal life.

All other get eternal condemnation.