The Horus of Christianity

The Horus of Christianity

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
08 Jan 09
2 edits

Originally posted by black beetle
I call you wise and I call myself ignorant;

Therefore my friend you could try to answer to my exact question😵
If you want my answer I will give it to you. I believe that both Christ and Socrates were both striving for "truth" no matter the cost. In fact, both lost their lives pursuing it. If I recall, Socrates once said that if the world ever had within it a pure soul who sought truth and was completely without malice, those within the world would seek to destroy them and ironically the world sought to destroy both of them. So in effect, I think that is why both sounded similiar at times in what they said.

Fair enough?

w

Moves
08 Jan 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
It's not the stories he told that are questionable so much as the stories told about him. In both cases.
I guess I could see how the stories told about Jesus are questioned with people being healed and people being raised from the dead etc. In fact, those who were alive during this time even questioned it even though they seemed to be in and around such miraculous occurences. However, Socrates is another story altogether. What stories about him are so hard to believe?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Jan 09

Originally posted by whodey
I guess I could see how the stories told about Jesus are questioned with people being healed and people being raised from the dead etc. In fact, those who were alive during this time even questioned it even though they seemed to be in and around such miraculous occurences. However, Socrates is another story altogether. What stories about him are so hard to believe?
I meant Buddha. I'm not aware of any miracle stories associated with Socrates. Appollonius of Tyana, on the other hand ... but he was too much of an elitist to attract a mass following.

w

Moves
08 Jan 09
1 edit

I meant Buddha. I'm not aware of any miracle stories associated with Socrates. Appollonius of Tyana, on the other hand ... but he was too much of an elitist to attract a mass following.
So why do you think people target Socrates by questioning his existence? He was just a philosopher who went around asking questions, albiet the WRONG questions. 😛

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Jan 09

So why do you think people target Socrates by questioning his existence? He was just a philosopher who went around asking questions, albiet the WRONG questions. 😛
What do you think?

w

Moves
08 Jan 09

What do you think?
I think they question his existence ONLY on the basis of what he said. In effect, what he stood for is being questioned more than his actual existence.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
09 Jan 09

If you want my answer I will give it to you. I believe that both Christ and Socrates were both striving for "truth" no matter the cost. In fact, both lost their lives pursuing it. If I recall, Socrates once said that if the world ever had within it a pure soul who sought truth and was completely without malice, those within the world would seek to destroy ...[text shortened]... effect, I think that is why both sounded similiar at times in what they said.

Fair enough?
Your answer is irrelevant!

My question was/ is:
Maybe you mean that many of Jesus' quotes sound strangely like those of Socrates?

w

Moves
09 Jan 09

Your answer is irrelevant!

My question was/ is:
Maybe you mean that many of Jesus' quotes sound strangely like those of Socrates?
I guess you could say that. 😉

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
09 Jan 09

I guess you could say that. 😉
Sure thing😵

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Jan 09

Sure thing😵
Have a Horus torus ... http://www.horustorus.com/graphics/newblue-fo.gif

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
09 Jan 09

Have a Horus torus ... http://www.horustorus.com/graphics/newblue-fo.gif
Yikes

I will keep up surfin with Jazz😵

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
10 Jan 09

Originally posted by David C
Yes, interesting, but...most of this information was taken from Kersey Graves' "The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviours". According to the Wiki on Graves:

[quote] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kersey_Graves#Criticism

[i]Historian Richard Carrier, a proponent of the Jesus myth hypothesis, has heavily criticized Graves' work, particularly his book The Worl ...[text shortened]... nce you might be hard pressed to produce evidence for many of these claims about Horus.
Sorry for the delay.

Such is my faith that I am happy to carry the burden of proof.

Please be specific and I will provide facts.

Happy new year

Dolph Lundgren

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
11 Jan 09

Originally posted by Thequ1ck
Such is my faith that I am happy to carry the burden of proof.

Please be specific and I will provide facts.
I'll try, although I'm playing the Devil's Advocate here, since I am of the opinion that the Jesus character of the Gospels represents a syncretic evolution of previous Sun-gods (which includes Horus).

Let's start with #1. Please demonstrate that Horus was born "of a virgin".

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
11 Jan 09

Originally posted by David C
I'll try, although I'm playing the Devil's Advocate here, since I am of the opinion that the Jesus character of the Gospels represents a syncretic evolution of previous Sun-gods (which includes Horus).
The parable of the Good Sun.

j

Moves
11 Jan 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Are you joking?
He is not joking.

There is more historical reason to believe that a Jesus of Nazareth lived than there is to believe that a Socrates lived.

Don't get me wrong. I believe there was a Socrates and I read his arguments as were passed on to us by Plato. They are very interesting.
He was apparently quite a deep thinker and consistent debater, to the point of dying for what he believed according to Plato's review.

But if you doubt that Jesus ever lived BUT believe that Socrates did, you must be biased towards Socrates. The evidence for his existence is thinner.

Without Plato's word for it how much would we know about Socrates ?

That is a genuine question.