The God Delusion

The God Delusion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by Halitose
[b]Why does 'moral outrage' require grounds for right and wrong? Surely it only requires a 'sense' of right and wrong.

You're squirming again. Grounds; sense; same thing. Get with the program.[/b]
No they are most definitely not the same thing.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
Yes. I have a sense that I am falling; I don't need to refer to Newton to know I'm going to hit the ground.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
Yes they are. We're both using them to mean the "criterion" for differentiation between "right" and "wrong". For you this criterion is some vague "sense".

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Please?
I should have further qualified it by saying that "no nett evolutionary advantage is accrued".

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06

I should have further qualified it by saying that "no nett evolutionary advantage is accrued".
I understand your question. I prefer to discuss concrete examples, so if you don't mind...

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06

Yes they are. We're both using them to mean the "criterion" for differentiation between "right" and "wrong". For you this criterion is some vague "sense".
It's not vague at all: it's experienced directly, without premeditation. It's instinctive.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06

It's not vague at all: it's experienced directly, without premeditation. It's instinctive.
Hitler/Manson/Stalin's instinct disagreed with yours/twhiteheads. Do you have any logical grounds to prefer yours above theirs?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06

Hitler/Manson/Stalin's instinct disagreed with yours/twhiteheads. Do you have any logical grounds to prefer yours above theirs?
Why do I need any? Their actions, to me, appear self-evidently wrong. This is borne out by their obvious lunacy.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06

I understand your question. I prefer to discuss concrete examples, so if you don't mind...
Hypothetically, you adopt an HIV-positive orphan from the local township. You raise/nurture the said child at great expense knowing it would probably die in 6-10 years.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06

Why do I need any? Their actions, to me, appear self-evidently wrong. This is borne out by their obvious lunacy.
So essentially you are saying that morality is in the eye of the beholder, where no action is objectively preferable to another?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06

Hypothetically, you adopt an HIV-positive orphan from the local township. You raise/nurture the said child at great expense knowing it would probably die in 6-10 years.
The skill set you develop (from empathy to dealing with grief) can be passed on to the community. Everybody benefits.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06
1 edit

The skill set you develop (from empathy to dealing with grief) can be passed on to the community. Everybody benefits.
We're talking about "nett personal benefit"...

Edit: Another example. You jump into a burning building to rescue a total stranger with the distinct possibility that you'd die trying.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06

So essentially you are saying that morality is in the eye of the beholder, where no action is objectively preferable to another?
No, it's in the instincts of every person, which tend to be fairly similar in most cases--unsurprisingly, since much of our moral behaviour is shared with animals.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 06

We're talking about "nett personal benefit"...
No, we're not, we're talking about net evolutionary benefit, unless you want to shift things around. Read what you posted. What has net personal gain got to do with anything?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 06

No, it's in the instincts of every person, which tend to be fairly similar in most cases--unsurprisingly, since much of our moral behaviour is shared with animals.
I've just given you examples where there were contrary "instincts". Are they decided by democratic vote?