1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 18:34
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    umm...did you actually read the post?
    Perhaps if you did a little research on the Amorites and how they were viewed and the dominace they had on the surrounding areas, you would understand this scripture.

At Amos 2:9 the Amorite people were likened to the cedar for height and to “massive trees” for vigor. These “massive trees” were especially abundant in Bashan, E of the Jordan, and are used in comparisons along with the cedars of Lebanon. (Isa 2:13; Zec 11:1, 2) Oars were fashioned from their wood. (Eze 27:6) Deborah was buried under such a tree at Bethel, resulting in the name Allon-bacuth, which means “Massive Tree of Weeping.” (Ge 35:8) The location of such trees on hills and high places made them popular places of shade under which false worshipers would engage in idolatrous practices.—Ho 4:13.
  2. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 22:49
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    So you think.
    Well I allow for both lines of thought on Genesis 6 as being plausible however you also have to allow for the reference in the book of Jude. Jude 1:6-----

6 And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day, 7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire.

Some argue that the book of Enoch is non-canonical but Jude is canonical and he makes this reference to what?? Obviously the writer of Jude saw it as truth. Once again the "Sons of God" is only used several times in the whole of the bible.

http://creationwiki.org/Bene_Elohim allows for the different arguments

Lastly how do we know what or where angels actual reside? What they can actually do and how they can interact with this physical realm we currently live in now?

Manny
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 23:50
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Perhaps if you did a little research on the Amorites and how they were viewed and the dominace they had on the surrounding areas, you would understand this scripture.

At Amos 2:9 the Amorite people were likened to the cedar for height and to “massive trees” for vigor. These “massive trees” were especially abundant in Bashan, E of the Jordan, and are ...[text shortened]... ular places of shade under which false worshipers would engage in idolatrous practices.—Ho 4:13.
    yep, and that's an exaggeration. thanks for doing the research yourself, now i don't have to point it out for you.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 02:19
    Originally posted by menace71
    I think this subject has been brought up before but it's very interesting to say the least.

Gen 6:1

1 Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. 3 Then the LORD said ...[text shortened]... men who were of old, men of renown.

http://stevequayle.com/ interesting link

Manny
    Here is a youtube video on the same subject.

YouTube&feature=related
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 02:26
    YouTube&feature=related
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 02:35
    YouTube&feature=related
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 03:38
    yep, and that's an exaggeration. thanks for doing the research yourself, now i don't have to point it out for you.
    Well the research explains why they would use that example and description. There is nothing neccasarily unusual with the way many in society describe things such as an enemy. Ever heard of the Greeks with their superhuman being they were afraid of?
  8. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 03:45
    Well the research explains why they would use that example and description. There is nothing neccasarily unusual with the way many in society describe things such as an enemy. Ever heard of the Greeks with their superhuman being they were afraid of?
    Do you mean the "Titans" ?

Manny
  9. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 05:351 edit
    you mean there are exaggerations in other myths as well? imagine that.

giants are an integral part of the myths of many cultures.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Mar '12 19:02
    you mean there are exaggerations in other myths as well? imagine that.

giants are an integral part of the myths of many cultures.
    So you knock the bible but I think you have refered to other exaggerting culters and seem ok with that. I'm I right?
    But this exaggeration you referred to in the Bible is a wrong thing? What bible truth did it go against or was it simply history that this scripture was explaining so we could learn about the peoples of that time?
  11. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    24 Mar '12 00:54
    So you knock the bible but I think you have refered to other exaggerting culters and seem ok with that. I'm I right?
    But this exaggeration you referred to in the Bible is a wrong thing? What bible truth did it go against or was it simply history that this scripture was explaining so we could learn about the peoples of that time?
    you're reading too much into it. i merely pointed out that it's full of exagerrations. i see the bible as largely a mythology so i have no problem comparing it with other mythologies.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    24 Mar '12 01:14
    you're reading too much into it. i merely pointed out that it's full of exagerrations. i see the bible as largely a mythology so i have no problem comparing it with other mythologies.
    I understand your view and respect it. But ones who believe in the Bible take it to heart and I am one of those. I take it very seriously.
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    24 Mar '12 03:50
    I understand your view and respect it. But ones who believe in the Bible take it to heart and I am one of those. I take it very seriously.
    while you're taking it seriously, you could look up the legend of gilgamesh and huwawa.

heroes/gods of mythical legend established their renown by defeating mighty giants. the epic of gilgamesh is among the earliest recorded legend of a god struggling with a giant. in the book of amos, biblegod is establishing his own heroic renown in the boasting of defeating mighty giants.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree