The Garden of Eden

The Garden of Eden

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Aug 14

Originally posted by galveston75
Usually with scriptures that are symbolic, one has to use other sciptures to make sence of them such as many in Revelation, to put it easy.
But there is no such confusion or symbolisms in the creation account and no need for that to be used there or to be thought it isn't a real event.
The symbolisms that some put on the creation account are simply n ...[text shortened]... terms.
Why do you think it might be symbolic and not a real event as it is written in Genesis?
It may be yes.

For example do you think the fruit that Eve ate was a literal fruit?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
11 Aug 14
2 edits

Originally posted by divegeester
Yes, I have no idea whether it is correct or not though.
Well the death that is brought on by sinning is only a human thing. Nothing in the rest of earthly creation sins especially in such things as plant life.
Living forever was only given to humans by god as we are superior to all other forms of life and if Adam and all his offspring would have stayed faithful to our creator, we would have had the chance to live forever where as that gift was never going to happen to all other life forms on earth.
We were created a little lower then angels and they had the same prospect we do in that they could live forever too as long as they stayed faithful to their creator.
Some didn't just as satan didn't and they will soon lose their life's in the future as many humans will also.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
11 Aug 14

It may be yes.

For example do you think the fruit that Eve ate was a literal fruit?
Yes. Why couldn't it be? It was a very simple thing god asked of them. Fruits and vegtables were no doubt their daily basic food source. So God would use that to make it as simple as possible for them to see and it could have been a fruit that they didn't normally have in the garden and that is probably why the scripture says it was "pleasing to the eye".
They had all they needed and should have trusted their creator even if they didn't understand. Then satan saw all this and knew something that was pleasing or pleasureable to look at just might work to get them to turn their backs on God and his wisdom.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Aug 14

Yes. Why couldn't it be? It was a very simple thing god asked of them. Fruits and vegtables were no doubt their daily basic food source. So God would use that to make it as simple as possible for them to see and it could have been a fruit that they didn't normally have in the garden and that is probably why the scripture says it was "pleasing to the eye" ...[text shortened]... r pleasureable to look at just might work to get them to turn their backs on God and his wisdom.
It was call the fruit of the tree of the "knowledge of good and evil". Are you saying that you believe this was a real tree who's fruit when eaten somehow imparted knowledge?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Aug 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
It's you who claimed that the Bible version was corroborated by "all accounts", where are they?
Idioms & Phrases

by all accounts

Also, according to all accounts . From all reports available, from what everyone is saying. For example, By all accounts the party was a great success , or They spent a fortune on their cruise, according to all accounts . These phrases rely on account in the sense of "a particular report or description of some event." [Late 1700s]

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/by+all+accounts

The idom or phrase "by all accounts" does not necessarily mean that there are more than one account. There could be only one account known by the person making the statement. So basically, it means by all the knowledge that the person is aware of.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
11 Aug 14

It was call the fruit of the tree of the "knowledge of good and evil". Are you saying that you believe this was a real tree who's fruit when eaten somehow imparted knowledge?
No that is not what that means. Did the tree have special powers? No it didn't.
It is very simple as they did not know or have knowledge of sinning as they had never sinned before. So they had never experianced guilt or their conscience letting them know they in fact did something wrong. Now their conscience pricked their heart and they felt guilt as never before in their lifes.
So know they knew the differance in feeling good about themselves and now feeling bad and guilty. Now they had knowledge of what good and bad were and didn't like it as they now felt ashamed and wanted to hide from god.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
11 Aug 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
Idioms & Phrases

by all accounts

Also, according to all accounts . From all reports available, from what everyone is saying. For example, By all accounts the party was a great success , or They spent a fortune on their cruise, according to all accounts . These phrases rely on account in the sense of "a particular report or description of some event ...[text shortened]... making the statement. So basically, it means by all the knowledge that the person is aware of.
Good stuff......

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
11 Aug 14

Did the "tree of life" have special powers?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Aug 14
1 edit

It is very simple as they did not know or have knowledge of sinning as they had never sinned before. So they had never experianced guilt or their conscience letting them know they in fact did something wrong. Now their conscience pricked their heart and they felt guilt as n ...[text shortened]... what good and bad were and didn't like it as they now felt ashamed and wanted to hide from god.
The part I can't get past is this supposedly omniscient god capable of making entire universes with a wave of its rhetorical hand would know in advance the outcome of a stricture against eating the fruit, so it would not have needed that test.

Knowing the outcome before the event happened would just mean, to this god, I better get it right this time, scrub the experiment and start over.

With that in mind, how do we know that in fact happened before?

It is problems with the plot of the story that the writers did not take into account, not expecting actual critical thinking which leads me to the conclusion that it is just that, a story written by men to start a religion with no god involved.

And OF COURSE I am the assshole here for daring to bring up such heresy.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Aug 14

I used the biblical description which says the the tree was the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" and we also see that when Adam and Eve ate the fruit "their eyes were opened". So here is a tree with a special name about cognitive enhancement which when it's fruit is eaten imparts said cognitive enhancement to the devourer. Seems quite "special" to me. As fruit trees go.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Aug 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
Idioms & Phrases

by all accounts

Also, according to all accounts . From all reports available, from what everyone is saying. For example, By all accounts the party was a great success , or They spent a fortune on their cruise, according to all accounts . These phrases rely on account in the sense of "a particular report or description of some event ...[text shortened]... making the statement. So basically, it means by all the knowledge that the person is aware of.
The phrase "by all accounts" was used by Galveston to infer that there were other evidences/sources of text/witnesses etc who could corroborate Galveston's claim.

I think FMF is seeking these actual "accounts" that Galveston claimed supported the the biblical genealogy of Adam to Christ was indeed accurate, rather than an examination of what "by all accounts" means.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
11 Aug 14

I used the biblical description which says the the tree was the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" and we also see that when Adam and Eve ate the fruit "their eyes were opened". So here is a tree with a special name about cognitive enhancement which when it's fruit is eaten imparts said cognitive enhancement to the devourer. Seems quite "special" to me. As fruit trees go.
Yes their eyes were opened to now know what they did and how it made them feel and now knowing they damaged their relationship with their God or father, was no doubt a really bad thing to now know.
But no where does the bible say they knew all of what badness could be and what bad things were going to follow in mankinds existanace in the future and of all the good things that the future was going to hold from God's promisses of the far future.
The bible says nothing about them being suddenly enlightend with all the knowledge of all there was to know on these subjects. If that were the case they would be god like as satan promissed but we know satan did nothing but lie to them.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
11 Aug 14

The phrase "by all accounts" was used by Galveston to infer that there were other evidences/sources of text/witnesses etc who could corroborate Galveston's claim.

I think FMF is seeking these actual "accounts" that Galveston claimed supported the the biblical genealogy of Adam to Christ was indeed accurate, rather than an examination of what "by all accounts" means.
Still there are no accounts being presented that disclaim what the bible says. Why not?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
11 Aug 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
The part I can't get past is this supposedly omniscient god capable of making entire universes with a wave of its rhetorical hand would know in advance the outcome of a stricture against eating the fruit, so it would not have needed that test.

Knowing the outcome before the event happened would just mean, to this god, I better get it right this time, sc ...[text shortened]... ith no god involved.

And OF COURSE I am the assshole here for daring to bring up such heresy.
Where does the bible say he knew the outcome?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Aug 14
1 edit

Where does the bible say he knew the outcome?
This god is touted as being all knowing. I thought that pretty much covered it.

Same with the Abraham/Esau story or the flood story.