1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 21:51
    off to my first non religious funeral tomorrow. not really sure what to expect, but from the basic info we've had it sounds way better than the usual catholic nonsense ive been to in the past.

leave your sympathy or commiserations at the door. im not here to talk about the personal aspect. lets talk funerals.

whats the best way to go? i personally think they are generally a waste of time. people say its so they can say goodbye.....but why do they need to have a ceremony to say that? also most people i know say they want x or y at their funeral.....why? you are dead, what difference does it make? the celebrations of life funerals seem like a nice idea....but isnt it demanding people to fake how they are feeling? im playing devils advocate a little here...

what im interested in knowing is how do you want yours to go and why does it matter if you are dead?
    if you are a christian does the god demand you must be sent off in a certain way and if so why?
    and does anybody agree with me that a funeral is more about the people left than the person gone and therefore it should be up to the next of kin how they send the person off, as it may help them deal with things better?

basically any thoughts on funerals welcome.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 22:081 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    off to my first non religious funeral tomorrow. not really sure what to expect, but from the basic info we've had it sounds way better than the usual catholic nonsense ive been to in the past.

leave your sympathy or commiserations at the door. im not here to talk about the personal aspect. lets talk funerals.

whats the best way to go? i personall ...[text shortened]... off, as it may help them deal with things better?

I agree with much of what you say. It should make no difference to a Christian what is said or done after the life leaves the body. The life, which some call the soul returns to God. The body is just dust and will return to the earth. Funerals are for the living, not the dead, so what is said and done is really for the benefit and comfort of the living who knew the dead.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 22:182 edits

whats the best way to go? i personall ...[text shortened]... off, as it may help them deal with things better?

New Orleans Jazz band for me then a Viking longboat out into the Irish sea to the sound of Saxon, Heavy metal thunder. I suspect other poets and luminaries will compose verse to my honour.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 22:231 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    New Orleans Jazz band for me then a Viking longboat out into the Irish sea to the sound of Saxon, Heavy metal thunder. I suspect other poets and luminaries to compose verse to my honour.
    i have to admit it sounds like the kind of funeral i would like to attend.....but why did you choose that? is it to entertain those attending? is it vanity? what is the point? why not let each person say goodbye how they want? is it cathartic for eveybody to get together? or is that just an added pressure for those who are most upset?

what does your lot do robbie?
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 22:34
    Personally I quite liked the funeral (as much as you like any funeral) in the second Thor film.

Of course to have that would require building a disk world in space with an endless waterfall
    over the edge, the invention of artificial gravity, coupled with a self guided flaming homing arrow.

And given that I rather suspect I would be the only one to enjoy it and I would be dead at the
    time... Probably best for the arrangements to be made by those actually attending.

As long as absolutely no religion is involved.

On the grounds that you are not remembering me if you have a religious service given how
    vehemently anti-religion I am.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 22:541 edit
    i personally think they are generally a waste of time. people say its so they can say goodbye.....but why do they need to have a ceremony to say that?
    Our baby's funeral definitely helped us through our grief and gave us
    the opportunity to vent whatever emotions we were holding in. It was
    also beneficial for family and friends to give their condolences.

You are right; funerals are for the living.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 23:16
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Personally I quite liked the funeral (as much as you like any funeral) in the second Thor film.

Of course to have that would require building a disk world in space with an endless waterfall
    over the edge, the invention of artificial gravity, coupled with a self guided flaming homing arrow.

And given that I rather suspect I would be the only one t ...[text shortened]... re not remembering me if you have a religious service given how
    grrrrrrrr!!!!! shhhhhhhh!!!!! not seen it yet (fingers in ears lalalalalalaaa).
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 23:18

And given that I rather suspect I would be the only one t ...[text shortened]... re not remembering me if you have a religious service given how
    I'd do one just to spite you.

"If googlefuedge were here right now, he'd tell you: I was right and he was waaaaay off..."
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 23:21
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I'd do one just to spite you.

"If googlefuedge were here right now, he'd tell you: I was right and he was waaaaay off..."
    And this is one of the many ways theists piss of atheists.

You [theists] would be horrified if you didn't get your proper religious funerals and burials.

And yet you are more than happy to trample all over ours without a second thought.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 23:25

Perhaps you've never lost someone you dearly loved.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 23:40
    And this is one of the many ways theists piss of atheists.

You [theists] would be horrified if you didn't get your proper religious funerals and burials.

And yet you are more than happy to trample all over ours without a second thought.
    History is written by the victors.
    Quitcher bitchin', will ya?
    Did you seriously think I planned on crossing the Atlantic for your funeral?!

Damn, you really have an inflated ego!
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 23:431 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    New Orleans Jazz band for me then a Viking longboat out into the Irish sea to the sound of Saxon, Heavy metal thunder. I suspect other poets and luminaries will compose verse to my honour.
    There's not much versical about 'Good Riddance!' 😛
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 23:49
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Perhaps you've never lost someone you dearly loved.
    I have... and yes, funerals are for the living.

Of course, the deceased's wishes should be followed, but the main function seems to be the consolation and comfort of those left behind. If this is achieved through observance of ritual, then so be it.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 00:34
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    History is written by the victors.
    Quitcher bitchin', will ya?
    Did you seriously think I planned on crossing the Atlantic for your funeral?!

Damn, you really have an inflated ego!
    No you moron.

I was talking about the fact that theists DO regularly hold religious funerals for atheists.

Often times against their express wishes.

It's usually the family that does it, and not morons crossing the Atlantic specially for the occasion.

But it still does happen all too frequently.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 10:01
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    There's not much versical about 'Good Riddance!' 😛
    what are you talking about? women will be throwing themselves from tall buildings on the knowledge of my demise! 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree