1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 14:46
    While cause and effect can be seen , and our view of time is that time is regular, it's easy to see how it can be glossed over and seen as a strong scientific theory explaining lots of stuff.
    Time is maluable, however. And random factors can always change the outcome of a sequence where usually the outcome can be predicted.

I've seen plenty random uncauseated events and things that are spontaneous that make me question the whole idea of cause and effect
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 15:15
    @karoly-aczel said
    While cause and effect can be seen , and our view of time is that time is regular, it's easy to see how it can be glossed over and seen as a strong scientific theory explaining lots of stuff.
    Time is maluable, however. And random factors can always change the outcome of a sequence where usually the outcome can be predicted.

I've seen plenty random uncauseated events and things that are spontaneous that make me question the whole idea of cause and effect
    You are suggesting events that occur can do so with no reason they just happen without reason?
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 15:24
    @kellyjay said
    You are suggesting events that occur can do so with no reason they just happen without reason?
    Depends.
    If something genuinely good or and original shows up randomly.
    Or some other events are seemingly random disturbed
    If it is like spontaneous combustion
    A life long man of peace throwing a punch seemingly unprovoked age 50
    I dunno.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 15:25
    @kellyjay said
    Yes . Without apparent reason
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 16:22
    @karoly-aczel said
    Yes . Without apparent reason
    Without an apparent reason is just acknowledging we don’t know yet. It doesn’t mean that there is no cause.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 16:541 edit
    @karoly-aczel said
    Nothing is actually random. Everything has a cause and effect; they only seem random to untrained eyes.

Rain may seem to randomly to occur to a layperson; but weather can be predicted and has specific causes.

Everything in nature has a cause and effect, it's just that some causes are harder to spot or predict than others.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 17:14
    @kellyjay said
    Without an apparent reason is just acknowledging we don’t know yet. It doesn’t mean that there is no cause.
    What? Like root cause or original cause?
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 17:19
    @vivify said
    Nothing is actually random. Everything has a cause and effect; they only seem random to untrained eyes.

Rain may seem to randomly to occur to a layperson; but weather can be predicted and has specific causes.

Everything in nature has a cause and effect, it's just that some causes are harder to spot or predict than others.
    Hmmm.
    You say nothing is random, yet most anyone understands what random means. And believe without question in events being random,,
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 17:22
    @karoly-aczel said

'Maluable' is a new one on me, what do you mean by this term?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 17:27
    @karoly-aczel said
    What? Like root cause or original cause?
    Root causes are what we look for in testing and trouble shooting. If we miss diagnose an issue we will be plagued by it until it’s resolved properly. One of the great things about the universe is it can be understood we can look at it and grasp it as long as we have all the necessary details.

If there things that occurred without a reason then the whole or parts of it could never be understood or known.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 17:40
    @kellyjay said
    You confuse causes and reasons. The cause of a chess piece moving on the board is a human hand; the reason is the player’s strategy. Two profoundly different aspects of one and the same phenomenon.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 17:441 edit
    @karoly-aczel said
    Depends.
    If something genuinely good or and original shows up randomly.
    Or some other events are seemingly random disturbed
    If it is like spontaneous combustion
    A life long man of peace throwing a punch seemingly unprovoked age 50
    I dunno.
    You confuse causes and evaluations. A tree is knocked down by a high wind; there is nothing good or bad in that, just brute causality. The falling tree kills a child and people grieve, that’s a human reaction, it’s unfortunate but not morally bad. Someone could have gotten the child to safety but failed to; that’s culpably negligent, a moral evaluation. Three profoundly different aspects of one and the same phenomenon.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 17:49
    @moonbus said
    You confuse causes and reasons. The cause of a chess piece moving on the board is a human hand; the reason is the player’s strategy. Two profoundly different aspects of one and the same phenomenon.
    The reason something occurs is due to the cause. Granted it can be fun figuring it out but that is what we do.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 17:531 edit
    @kellyjay said
    The reason something occurs is due to the cause. Granted it can be fun figuring it out but that is what we do.
    You are now confusing both reasons and causes with ‘due to’. The reason a chess player plays e5 is not due to his hand moving the piece.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 17:58
    @avalanchethecat said
    'Maluable' is a new one on me, what do you mean by this term?
    Time flies when your having fun
    Seems to drag on forever when things are unfavourable
    You think?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree