The Catholic Saints

The Catholic Saints

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jun 09

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Do you pray to saints to petition God on your behalf?
No.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
19 Jun 09

Originally posted by Conrau K
No.
Good, because that would be a silly thing to do.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jun 09
1 edit

Good, because that would be a silly thing to do.
I would expect that answer from you. You are not Orthodox or Catholic.

rc

Moves
19 Jun 09

who decides on who becomes a Saint, is it the pope himself,

who was the last person to become a Saint?

is it possible to become a saint in ones own lifetime, like if you are particularly revered, like Gandhi or Mother Teresa?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
19 Jun 09

Are you suggesting that Catholics and Orthodox Christians don't have the requisite acumen to deduce that they are committed to the stated dilemma?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jun 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie

is it possible to become a saint in ones own lifetime, like if you are particularly revered, like Gandhi or Mother Teresa?
A saint in the broad sense is anyone in heaven. So of course anyone could be a saint. It is then fitting to some Christians to pray to deceased relatives.

In the juridical sense, a saint is anyone whom the Church approves for public devotion. Such a person must have shown heroic virtue in their life and have two miracles attributed to them. Only the Pope approves such people. The last people to become saints were canonised only last month. From memory, I think there were five.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jun 09
1 edit

Are you suggesting that Catholics and Orthodox Christians don't have the requisite acumen to deduce that they are committed to the stated dilemma?
I am sure many do have acumen. I was only suggesting that since you doubt the efficacy of prayer in the first place, you would have even greater challenges understanding the devotion of praying to saints.

e4

Moves
19 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie

I'm not up to date on these things but I'm pretty sure the Pope does
not decide. It's a committee of sorts that do it.

There used to be a rule about a person being dead for a number of
years before they could become a saint. In some cases it was centuries.

(The must be a room in Heaven for saint's in waiting).

I think the previous Pope, John Paul, is going to be made saint.
(or is he already?)

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
19 Jun 09

My Mom & Dad were raised Catholic & my Dad always spoke of one of the saints that got excommunicated and was a rebel. Can't remember which one but my dad like him. 😉

Manny

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
19 Jun 09
4 edits

Originally posted by greenpawn34

I think the previous Pope, John Paul, is going to be made saint.
Even though he knew about the rampant child molestation and didn't exercise his authority to put a stop to the relocation of the guilty priests? It seems like at the very least, a saint wouldn't turn a blind eye to that sort of thing taking place in an organization that he was in charge of.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Jun 09

A saint in the broad sense is anyone in heaven. So of course anyone could be a saint. It is then fitting to some Christians to pray to deceased relatives.

In the juridical sense, a saint is anyone whom the Church approves for public devotion. Such a person must have shown heroic virtue in their life and have two miracles attributed to them. Only the Pop ...[text shortened]... st people to become saints were canonised only last month. From memory, I think there were five.
So the Pope knows who is in heaven.
Praying to deceased relatives.
Approval for public devotion.

Is any of that Biblical ?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Jun 09

Even though he knew about the rampant child molestation and didn't exercise his authority to put a stop to the relocation of the guilty priests? It seems like at the very least, a saint wouldn't turn a blind eye to that sort of thing taking place in an organization that he was in charge of.
Relocation to another place just means a fresh batch of boys to molest. Those guilty priests should be relocated to jail.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jun 09

Originally posted by Rajk999
So the Pope knows who is in heaven.
Praying to deceased relatives.
Approval for public devotion.

No; the Pope does not know who is heaven. However, it is the Pope who ultimately approves a candidate for sainthood. This is after a long process of investigation, sometimes hundreds of years.

I'm not sure. Possibly. But the point is irrelevant since the Catholic Church does not judge the soundness of a doctrine merely by Scripture. It takes into account the Patristic teachings, the sensus fidelium and the pronouncements of the ecumenical councils. This is true also of the Orthodox churches, although the declaration of a saint is jointly approved by a Synod.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Jun 09

And Pope John Paul II is not yet a saint. There is currently an investigation to ascertain whether he is a saint or not. The outcome of that should be years away. Keep in mind that he has not even been declared blessed or been deemed to have shown heroic virtues.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Jun 09

He did actually implement new measures in the wake of the abuse scandal. Since then, it is now obligatory that anyone who wants to enter a seminary or religious life must undergo psychological tests.