The Best Thing About Jesus

The Best Thing About Jesus

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Mar 07

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
I've already read both of them more times than I can count. I used to be Christian, you know.
Ironically, in spite of your 'conversion,' if you ever truly professed Christ--- brace yourself--- you're saved, my brother. Despite all of your contentions otherwise, you will die someday and find yourself face to face with the loving Creator of the universe... thankful as all get out that He didn't follow through on your shortsighted demands.

l

London

Moves
03 Mar 07

Secret Decoder Ring alert!!
Nothing as exotic as that. Simply a recognition of the fact that few people read the Bible in the original languages with the original socio-cultural and literary context in mind.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
03 Mar 07

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Ironically, in spite of your 'conversion,' if you ever truly professed Christ--- brace yourself--- you're saved, my brother. Despite all of your contentions otherwise, you will die someday and find yourself face to face with the loving Creator of the universe... thankful as all get out that He didn't follow through on your shortsighted demands.
Why is it that Christians can never inform about the true meaning of these "deep" verses? Instead, all I get is Proclaimers like you and LH telling me the same ol' dogma I've heard for years.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
03 Mar 07

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Nothing as exotic as that. Simply a recognition of the fact that few people read the Bible in the original languages with the original socio-cultural and literary context in mind.
"And he said unto them, 'Hearken unto mine Christian universities, and their biblical scholars, for these are the Kingdom of Heaven.'"

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
03 Mar 07

Why is it that Christians can never inform about the [b]true meaning of these "deep" verses? Instead, all I get is Proclaimers like you and LH telling me the same ol' dogma I've heard for years.[/b]
I'm not sure what verse you're referring to; I was merely pointing out a doctrinal truth, based upon the character of God.

l

London

Moves
03 Mar 07

"And he said unto them, 'Hearken unto mine Christian universities, and their biblical scholars, for these are the Kingdom of Heaven.'"
Sarcasm is easy.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
03 Mar 07

Why is it that Christians can never inform about the [b]true meaning of these "deep" verses? Instead, all I get is Proclaimers like you and LH telling me the same ol' dogma I've heard for years.[/b]
Would you give me an example of a verse?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
03 Mar 07

Perhaps it is best understood if there are multiple meanings and truths to a passage. If these "truths" are not personalized, then it is pretty pointless.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
03 Mar 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
Perhaps it is best understood if there are multiple meanings and truths to a passage. If these "truths" are not personalized, then it is pretty pointless.
The verses seem clearly written to me. If they were somewhat vague, or sounded mystical, I could understand the need for careful interpretation.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
03 Mar 07

Sarcasm is easy
, getting a straight answer from God's followers is not.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
03 Mar 07

... unconditionally!
Does God love the devil?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Mar 07
1 edit

Matthew 10:28: 28 And be not afraid of them that kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Hard to reconcile with a God who loves you "unconditionally"; why should he want you to fear him?

Luke 12:5: 5 But I will warn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, who after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Ditto.

l

London

Moves
05 Mar 07

, getting a straight answer from God's followers is not.
Ask a straight, honest question -- you'll get a straight, honest answer.

l

London

Moves
05 Mar 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Does God love the devil?
Yes.

l

London

Moves
05 Mar 07

Originally posted by no1marauder
Matthew 10:28: 28 And be not afraid of them that kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: [b]but rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Hard to reconcile with a God who loves you "unconditionally"; why should he want you to fear him?

Luke 12:5: 5 But I will warn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, who ...[text shortened]... e hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Ditto.[/b]
If you're going to simply quote the citations BDP gave, at least give him credit for finding them.

And yes, my response would be the same -- read the whole passage.