The Beatitudes

The Beatitudes

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
10 Jul 06

Originally posted by masscat
It’s not my words you are rejecting; it’s the Word of God. My job is simply to preach the Gospel and warn people of God’s wrath to come on unbelievers. I have no control over people’s reaction to it, and I realize most will reject the Gospel. Consider yourselves warned.

Having said that, I have to ask what keeps bringing some of you back to this forum o ...[text shortened]... y opposed to. Wouldn’t be surprised if some of you became preachers even…seen it happen before!
Consider yourselves warned.

Thanks.

Personally, I come back because I aim to discredit your silly religious beliefs, which again I find degrading and debilitating. One would think that constant refutation of Christian claims would be enough, but that doesn’t seem to work on all you fundamentalist types. Put simply: one day when I have young, impressionable children, I don’t want you or anyone else telling them how worthless they are and subjugating them into the enfeebling stance that they somehow need your imaginary Jesus.

m

Moves
10 Jul 06

I'm putting you on my prayer list.

L

Moves
10 Jul 06
1 edit

I'm putting you on my prayer list.
Thanks. That's 'LemonJello': L-E-M-O-N-J-E-L-L-O.

m

Moves
10 Jul 06

God knows who you are.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jul 06

Originally posted by whodey
Yes, you must be poor in spirit, mournfull, and meek, in that order no less, in order to inherit eternal life. Christ going to the cross was just done for kicks.
So Jesus' words are meaningless according to your death worship.

How about these words later in the passage:

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a lamp, and put it under the bushel, but on the stand; and it shineth unto all that are in the house.

16 Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Does this sound like Jesus is saying these men are unworthy? You know "the light of the world" who's light will "shine before men; that they may see your good works,"?

L

Moves
10 Jul 06

God knows who you are.
If so, how do you explain that?

Matthew 7:23 "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

m

Moves
10 Jul 06

Originally posted by LemonJello
If so, how do you explain that?

Matthew 7:23 "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
I’m not going to explain it because you are trying to bait me into a pointless discussion.

P.S. I sincerely hope you’re one of those guys I was talking about that becomes a preacher someday.
😀

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
10 Jul 06
1 edit

[b]Consider yourselves warned.

Thanks.

Personally, I come back because I aim to discredit your silly religious beliefs, which again I find degrading and debilitating. One would think that constant refutation of Christian claims would be enough, but that doesn’t seem to work on all you fundamentalist types. Put simply: one day when I have young ...[text shortened]... are and subjugating them into the enfeebling stance that they somehow need your imaginary Jesus.[/b]
One would think that constant refutation of Christian claims would be enough, but that doesn’t seem to work on all you fundamentalist types.

Constant refutation? Here I was thinking Christianity to be a rationally consistent system. Silly me.

Put simply: one day when I have young, impressionable children, I don’t want you or anyone else telling them how worthless they are and subjugating them into the enfeebling stance that they somehow need your imaginary Jesus.

So you would rather impress upon their naïve minds the existentialist despair and absurdity of life? When you do, try to emphasize the ultimate meaninglessness of trying to pick yourself up by your own bootstraps: that all men, whether great or small, weak or powerful, rich or poor, share the same fate as the universe eventually collapses on itself -- crushing everything in its endless, self-created cycle of expansion and contraction; perhaps never again to have all the parameters so perfectly aligned to support life; where all deeds, profound or not, will be forgotten to endless ebbs of meaningless eternity.

I personally prefer option B.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jul 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Halitose
[b]One would think that constant refutation of Christian claims would be enough, but that doesn’t seem to work on all you fundamentalist types.

Constant refutation? Here I was thinking Christianity to be a rationally consistent system. Silly me.

[b/]Put simply: one day when I have young, impressionable children, I don’t want you or anyone else te ...[text shortened]... not, will be forgotten to endless ebbs of meaningless eternity.

I personally prefer option B.[/b]
How narcissistic of you! Can't you simply believe that you're a small part of the infinite Tao? Or do you need a starring role and one of the big trailers?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
10 Jul 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
How narcissistic of you! Can't you simply believe that you're a small part of the infinite Tao? Or do you need a starring role and one of the big trailers?
I'm certainly one for big trailers -- and big tornadoes. 😏 Well... there is option C -- but I'd still take B.

L

Moves
10 Jul 06
1 edit

One would think that constant refutation of Christian claims would be enough, but that doesn’t seem to work on all you fundamentalist types.

Put simply: one day when I have young, impressionable children, I don’t want you or anyone else tel not, will be forgotten to endless ebbs of meaningless eternity.

I personally prefer option B.
Yes, constant refutation. Christianity may be consistent, maybe; but sound? No.

The rest of your post made me laugh. Thank you for lifting my spirits and taking my mind off the ever palpable absurdism -- my task of rolling my rock, time after time, over and over. 🙂

But seriously, it's sad how your beliefs stem not from rational warrant, but from your passionate confrontation with the absurd. :'( As before, I am trying to give you some help: as a means to eliminate such suffering (but not take refuge in supreme irrationality), try Dharma practice.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jul 06
2 edits

I'm certainly one for big trailers -- and big tornadoes. 😏 Well... there is option C -- but I'd still take B.
Your post above reminded me of a scene in Play It Again, Sam with Woody Allen talking to a women at an art gallery with a painting which consisted solely of a large black dot. It went something like this:

WA: What does it [the painting] say to you?

W: It's a representation of Man's bleak and pointless existence, wallowing in despair and ending in the awful black certainty of death.[her actual lines were longer and more morose]

WA: So, what are you doing Saturday night?

W: Committing suicide.

WA: Well, how about Friday night?

EDIT: The internet is a wonderful thing; here's the actual dialogue:

Allan: That's quite a lovely Jackson Pollack, isn't it?
Museum Girl: Yes, it is.
Allan: What does it say to you?
Museum Girl: It restates the negativeness of the universe. The hideous lonely emptiness of existence. Nothingness. The predicament of Man forced to live in a barren, Godless eternity like a tiny flame flickering in an immense void with nothing but waste, horror and degradation, forming a useless bleak straitjacket in a black absurd cosmos.
Allan: What are you doing Saturday night?
Museum Girl: Committing suicide.
Allan: What about Friday night?

L

Moves
10 Jul 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Your post above reminded me of a scene in Play It Again, Sam with Woody Allen talking to a women at an art gallery with a painting which consisted solely of a large black dot. It went something like this:

WA: What does it [the painting] say to you?

W: It's a representation of Man's bleak and pointless existence, wallowing in despair an ...[text shortened]... ou doing Saturday night?
Museum Girl: Committing suicide.
Allan: What about Friday night?
He heh. That's classic.

I like Allen's work. I can't figure out who wrote this review, but they correctly, IMO, call his latest movie Match Point a "Nietzschean Tragedy".

http://www.altfg.com/Reviews/matchpoint.htm

MM

Moves
10 Jul 06
1 edit

So you would rather impress upon their naïve minds the existentialist despair and absurdity of life? When you do, try to emphasize the ultimate meaninglessness of trying to pick yourself up by your own bootstraps: that all men, whether great or small, weak or powerful, rich or poor, share the same fate as the universe eventually collapses on itself -- fe; where all deeds, profound or not, will be forgotten to endless ebbs of meaningless eternity.[/b]
I don't see why contemplation of the human condition needs to be seen as such. A life can be given it's own meaning by the individual without necessarily subscribing to the ideas of Jesus of Nazareth in the sermon on the mount, or The Bhudda in the deerpark at Saranath.

What staring into the abyss should do, is to wake us up to the fact that unless we realize that this is our chance, it will have been pointless. All around us, even in the computers we are typing with, is imbued with the meaning of lives gone by, that discovered electricity, silicon chips, encoding, music and art and so on...cannot this be us in our time?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
11 Jul 06
1 edit

The rest of your post made me laugh. Thank you for lifting my spirits and taking my mind off the ever palpable absurdism -- my task of rolling my rock, time after time, over and over. 🙂

But seriously, it's sad how your beliefs stem not from rational warrant, but fro eliminate such suffering (but not take refuge in supreme irrationality), try Dharma practice.

Which part of it? The self-inflated pontification of fundies? The orthodox tenets?

Heh heh. 😀

But seriously, it's sad how your beliefs stem not from rational warrant, but from your passionate confrontation with the absurd.

I beg to differ. My passionate tiff with the absurd aside, I've found the historical claim (and the associated trilemma) of Jesus to be rationally compelling.

As before, I am trying to give you some help: as a means to eliminate such suffering (but not take refuge in supreme irrationality), try Dharma practice.

Thanks, but I don't think I can hoodwink myself into a denial of individuality and "the self".