The advice given by Gamaliel ...

The advice given by Gamaliel ...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
12 Jun 11

.. is good advice for atheists. If there is no God then religion will fall by the wayside on its own.

Act 5:34-39 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space; And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.

For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.

After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.

And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
12 Jun 11

Originally posted by Rajk999
.. is good advice for atheists. If there is no God then religion will fall by the wayside on its own.

Act 5:34-39 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space; And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to ...[text shortened]... it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.
The eyes see forms outside, but inside there is nothing. The ears hear defiling sounds but the mind doesn’t know. All dharmas are produced and extinguished by conditions. Obtaining, I am not delighted. Losing, I don’t worry. Knowing how to be content I am always happy, knowing to be patient I am peaceful and I get rid of my afflictions. Inside there is no body and mind, outside there is no world. Phenomena themselves are noumenon, noumenon itself is phenomena. When competing (like Gamaliel amongst else) there is attachment to rights and wrong, when penetrating there is no debating with adversaries
😵

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Jun 11

Act 5:34-39 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space; And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to ...[text shortened]... it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.
Christianity is stronger than ever after 2000 years.
The Holy Bible is still considered the greatest book ever written.
And it contains the greatest story ever told.
Jesus, the Christ, is still the most talked about man in history
and the greatest man who ever lived.

Moves
12 Jun 11

Gamaliel? Wasn't she the Elven sorceress who gave Frodo and company all the gifts?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Jun 11

Originally posted by Kunsoo
Gamaliel? Wasn't she the Elven sorceress who gave Frodo and company all the gifts?
Galadriel?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
13 Jun 11

If there is no God then religion will fall by the wayside on its own.
Will it really? I think not. It already has a track record of thousands of years of staying power despite god's non-existence. Man will keep it going in one form or another.

Gamaliel was unaware of the future existence of other religions like Islam that are directly contradictory to the Jewish faith. If Islam has staying power despite being obviously false, then staying power is no guarantee of truth nor proof of divine backing.

j

Moves
18 Jun 11
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Galadriel?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
18 Jun 11

Originally posted by jaywill

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Jun 11

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Will it really? I think not. It already has a track record of thousands of years of staying power despite god's non-existence. Man will keep it going in one form or another.

Gamaliel was unaware of the future existence of other religions like Islam that are directly contradictory to the Jewish faith. If Islam has staying power despite being obviously false, then staying power is no guarantee of truth nor proof of divine backing.
Gamaliel was also unaware that other religions would use the force
of the sword to spread their religion, since there was no fear of this
at the time from Christianity. But Christianity has been required to
defend itself from the violence from the conquering hordes of Islam.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
18 Jun 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Gamaliel was also unaware that other religions would use the force
of the sword to spread their religion, since there was no fear of this
at the time from Christianity. But Christianity has been required to
defend itself from the violence from the conquering hordes of Islam.
and do a bit of conquering of it's own ,eh?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Jun 11

and do a bit of conquering of it's own ,eh?
Are you talking about regaining the Holy Land so all could worship there?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
19 Jun 11

Are you talking about regaining the Holy Land so all could worship there?
I'm talkin about those crusades.
Nasty stuff. Puts me right off christianity

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Jun 11

But it would never have happened if it hadn't been the false religion
of Islam. You apparently was not told the truth about the history.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
19 Jun 11

But it would never have happened if it hadn't been the false religion
of Islam. You apparently was not told the truth about the history.
A violent response is not suitable for a peaceful outcome. The buddhists have practised this. The christians have not.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Jun 11

Does the actions of the Whites against the Blacks in the days of slavery put you off the whites?

How about the merciless killings of native Indians by American settlers .. how about that. Are you put off by Americans?

Germans killing Jews?

Muslims killing Christians in Dafur? Are you put off by muslims?