Stigmata

Stigmata

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
This is hardly an accurate depiction of my epistemology. Further, you don't give me any reason to believe that it would be worth my time expounding upon it. One thing that I do believe without seeing is that my time is short and ought not be wasted.

Proverbs 14:7 is one verse that I believe in.
"Escape quickly from the company of fools; they're a waste of your time, a waste of your words."
Alright, buddy. If that's the way you feel about it. Maybe I was pushing too hard for a response. I admit what I wrote was a little over the top, but there is much that can be taken from it. Maybe you just don't wanna rethink your position. You're content with what you believe. That's fine. Plenty of Christians and atheists who are comfortable believing that they "know" the "truth". Just didn't think you were one of them. Peace out, fool.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
20 Dec 05
1 edit

Please, let us in on the joke, Saint Ivanhoe.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Dec 05

This is hardly an accurate depiction of my epistemology. Further, you don't give me any reason to believe that it would be worth my time expounding upon it. One thing that I do believe without seeing is that my time is short and ought not be wasted.

Proverbs 14:7 is one verse that I believe in.
"Escape quickly from the company of fools; they're a waste of your time, a waste of your words."
ROTFLMSO 😀 😵 😀 ....... your epistemology .............. oh Doctor ....

Glass of water for Sir Ivanhoe, please.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Dec 05
1 edit

........ noooo, I don't want to be a killjoy ...... 😀 😵 😀

Please, continue .......... 😀

a

Forgotten

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by Nemesio
A) I think there are very few people who maintain that the wounds
inflicted in the crucifixion actually were placed on the palms, as is
often depicted. There has been sufficient study of the physiology of
the human body to indicate that palm-wounds will not support the
weight of the crucified. Archeologically, they have found parts of
crucified rema ...[text shortened]... of Turin has wounds through the wrists and on the
left side, if I recall correctly.

Nemesio
i think that when looking at C
remember almost all depictions of jesus transfigured have the wounds on the hands.and stigmata are manifestations of what the believer believes,not neccessaily the actual wounds of jesus.
i think its from popular misconception of the crucifiction that causes the stigmata in the palms.the masses have passed down the belief long enough that it has become a reality of sorts

great answers everyone!

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Dec 05
1 edit

Proverbs 14:4

Where there are no oxen, the crib remains empty; but large crops come through the strength of the bull.

😲 😀

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Dec 05

So basically we've got this Padre dude indulging in a little self-harm to make himself feel more holy and get some promotion in the church. Nice.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
20 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by aspviper666
stigmata are manifestations of what the believer believes,not neccessaily the actual wounds of jesus.
i think its from popular misconception of the crucifiction that causes the stigmata in the palms.the masses have passed down the belief long enough that it has become a reality of sorts
I think this is the most likely explanation.

It also explains why only Catholics and not Protestants get stigmata. Only Catholics are routinely exposed to the crucifix, while Protestants are typically exposed to an empty cross. Protestants are thus much less likely to have a psychological compulsion to emulate or fake the wounds of the crucifix.

a

Forgotten

Moves
20 Dec 05
1 edit

can i get a witness brothas??
(rec the danged post then lmao)

edit:thank you😀

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by scottishinnz
So basically we've got this Padre dude indulging in a little self-harm to make himself feel more holy and get some promotion in the church. Nice.
The Padre dude is dead ...

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Dec 05
1 edit

I think this is the most likely explanation.

It also explains why only Catholics and not Protestants get stigmata. Only Catholics are routinely exposed to the crucifix, while Protestants are typically exposed to an empty cross. Protestants are thus much less likely to have a psychological compulsion to emulate or fake the wounds of the crucifix.
Don't Anglicans have crucifixes with corpses on them .... and what about the Orthodox ?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
Oddly enough, there were no wounds on his body at the time of his death. According to the show I'm watching, his stigmata was not considered one of the miracles necessary for his canonization by the RCC.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
Indeed, and made into a saint. Sorry, I didn't use past-tense. Feeling very 'present moment' today.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
20 Dec 05

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Indeed, and made into a saint. Sorry, I didn't use past-tense. Feeling very 'present moment' today.
Scot: "Feeling very 'present moment' today"

Enjoy it .... 😉

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
20 Dec 05

OK, based on what was presented during the show, I have to conlcude that stigmata are most likely intentional frauds, or possibly unintentional frauds that result from psychological delusion.

Does anybody else find differently based on the show?

One thing that I learned was that crucifiction with nails in the palms is in fact possible according to the latest experiments.

The most interesting observation is that stigmata were originally observed in the palms. Then, about 100 years ago, the first experiments regarding the physics of crucifiction were done, the results of which were that Christ must have been nailed through the wrist. Subsequent stigmata cases then exhibited bleeding from the wrists! It will be interesting to see what effect the latest experimental results have on future stigmata.