Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe

Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Sep 10

Originally posted by lausey
I would say that life is an illusion. The properties of beings that have this illusion are chemical structures that can self replicate, starting from the simplest structures that have developed the ability to self replicate after billions of years in a vast universe (the odds of these structures are small, but over enough time and space, it is plausible).

...[text shortened]... hich you don't even know what it is?

I wouldn't consider quotes from the bible as evidence.
Quotes from a book 'Bible' are just quotes from a book no matter how good the
book is. The reality of God goes beyond the mere words on a page, if God is real
then finding God would seem quite important to me. The only reason scripture
would be worth anything is if God were some how involved.
Kelly

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
03 Sep 10

Originally posted by KellyJay
So life isn't reality, it is something less, an illusion? I don't think I follow you
here! What is contained in our chemical structures is something more than the
physical body by itself, when someone dies something besides chemicals are
affected. I don't think life is an illusion as much as what life is, is hidden from
you because you have not found the source of it, so it simply does not make
sense.
Kelly
What would you say is affected besides chemicals when someone dies?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Sep 10

Originally posted by lausey
What would you say is affected besides chemicals when someone dies?
I believe we have souls spirits and our bodies are temples, when we die we move
on. This physical world loses its grip on us, all which seemed important that really
wasn’t will simply drop off our radars, that which really always was important will
be made quite clear too. Examples money and power here we do not take with us,
but the people around us who should be ultra important will go on to the other
side so we should value them.
Kelly

s

England

Moves
03 Sep 10

on. This physical world loses its grip on us, all which seemed important that really
wasn’t will simply drop off our radars, that which really always was important will
Kelly
the body returns to the earth which it came from. the soul returns to god which it came from. plus the souls who dwell with god are all important, thos who dwell outside of god whom god will not remember are in darkness.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Sep 10

on.
But your initial comments were about 'life'.
So what do you include in 'life'?
Would you include virus'? What about self replicating chemicals?
What about computer virus'?
Is there a definite line between life and death?

If you were cloned, would your soul hang around in the clone? Would it split in two?

Moves
03 Sep 10

Originally posted by amannion
I think we can probably concede that there are two clear possibilities at this point:

1. god exists and created the universe. Some people believe this and some don't. For those who believe the existence of the universe itself is proof. For those who don't there is no proof, and likely will not be.

2. god doesn't exist and the universe can be explained ...[text shortened]... It's fun, granted. But doesn't it feel a bit like banging your head against a wall?
I'm not sure why we continue to debate these things that will never be resolved. It's fun, granted. But doesn't it feel a bit like banging your head against a wall?
I see it more as a friendly game of My Turtle Is Better Than Yours.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
03 Sep 10

Kelly
What about plants? Aren't they alive? Does that mean they have souls, too?

AH

Moves
03 Sep 10

Life is some mystical entity, you think you have grasped the physical part of life
which I don't believe you really have, but there is something even beyond getting
that right, something more to life.
Kelly
“…Life is some mystical entity,…”

I find this belief of yours eccentric to the extreme.
I could be completely wrong here but I am guessing here that not even some of the more fanatical Christians actually believe this.
I am puzzled to WHY you believe this:

Do you believe you must believe this to be a “true” Christian? Or a “good” Christian? Or has it nothing to do with that?
Do you believe this because some scripture/scriptures in the Bible imply this to you?
If not, then what is the premise of your belief that “Life is some mystical entity”?
I mean, is the some particular empirical evidence / reasoning in your mind you think you can point out that gives credence to this belief and, if so, what is it?

I

Moves
03 Sep 10

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
“…Life is some mystical entity,…”

I find this belief of yours eccentric to the extreme.
I could be completely wrong here but I am guessing here that not even some of the more fanatical Christians actually believe this.
I am puzzled to WHY you believe this:

Do you believe you must believe this to be a “true” Christian? Or a “good” Christian? ...[text shortened]... your mind you think you can point out that gives credence to this belief and, if so, what is it?
If he isn't being coherent, at least give him credit for being poetic.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
04 Sep 10

Originally posted by Proper Knob
An extract of Stephen Hawkings new book has been printed in The Times, although you can't see it online as you have to pay for it now. An extract -

Britain’s most eminent scientist argues that a new series of theories have rendered redundant the role of a creator for the Universe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11161493

Biology has rendered God redundant, now it's physics turn.
God is redundant? What does that mean?

God just keeps on keepin' on!

AH

Moves
04 Sep 10

Originally posted by IshDaGegg
If he isn't being coherent, at least give him credit for being poetic.
Unfortunately I don’t understand poetry 🙁

DSJ

Lawrence, Ks

Moves
05 Sep 10

An extract of Stephen Hawkings new book has been printed in The Times, although you can't see it online as you have to pay for it now. An extract -

Britain’s most eminent scientist argues that a new series of theories have rendered redundant the role of a creator for the Universe.

I've read, in earlier Stephen Hawking books, that he was actually TRYING to find relevance in God THROUGH physics, and that he felt he had done so. Why the change?

Cape Town

Moves
05 Sep 10

Originally posted by Dan St John
I've read, in earlier Stephen Hawking books, that he was actually TRYING to find relevance in God THROUGH physics, and that he felt he had done so. Why the change?
Presumably he is an honest scientist who believes his results over what he desires to find.

j

Moves
05 Sep 10
1 edit

Stephen Hawking also said that a computer virus should be considered a new life form.

You go ahead and follow Stephen Hawking in everything if you want to. Not me, not in everything.

I don't think a computer virus is a new life form.

AH

Moves
05 Sep 10

Originally posted by jaywill
Stephen Hawking also said that a computer virus should be considered a new life form.

You go ahead and follow Stephen Hawking in everything if you want to. Not me, not in everything.

I don't think a computer virus is a new life form.
It certainly isn’t what I would personally call “life”. But, just like most words, the word “life” can mean different things to different people. And there are no non-arbitrary criteria that I or you could use to decide who has the “correct” meaning of the word. If Stephen Hawking thinks a computer virus is a form of “life” then he is neither “correct” nor “incorrect” in thinking that.