Spirituality in the Workplace

Spirituality in the Workplace

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
03 Mar 05

Do you feel that the workplace is an appropriate place to witness or to speak about the teachings of Jesus Christ? Can anyone here give a testimony about witnessing to a co-worker or colleague and what the results were?

Hmmm . . .

Moves
03 Mar 05

Originally posted by darvlay
Do you feel that the workplace is an appropriate place to witness or to speak about the teachings of Jesus Christ? Can anyone here give a testimony about witnessing to a co-worker or colleague and what the results were?
Excellent question! Whether or not witnessing is accepted as appropriate depends on how the people in the workplace view it. If someone objected, I think the "witnesser" could be compelled to stop, subject to disciplinary action. I'm speaking in the context of the US, where free speech rights do not generally extend into the private sector workplace. There are exceptions; the particular one I know about is union-talk. Can't remember any others; maybe someone else can.

d

Moves
03 Mar 05

At one time, I had a co-worker ask me if I was interested in having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. We were both on the job with our shovels diggin a hole for some stiff's tombstone foundation when he sprang the question out of nowhere. I wasn't at all offended and I actually talked to him and made him feel special by saying I would think about it, although I was completely lying. I didn't object to it then and I probably wouldn't now unless it were in the bombastic fashion that we see around here. However, I do know many that I work with who find it completely inappropriate to even say Christmas during the holiday season, which I have never understood.

d

Moves
03 Mar 05

I'm starting to feel like I'm being ignored. :'(

d

Moves
03 Mar 05

I need Jesus.

The Apologist

Moves
03 Mar 05

At one time, I had a co-worker ask me if I was interested in having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. We were both on the job with our shovels diggin a hole for some stiff's tombstone foundation when he sprang the question out of nowhere. I wasn't at all offended and I actually talked to him and made him feel special by saying I would think abou ...[text shortened]... ly inappropriate to even say Christmas during the holiday season, which I have never understood.
Why were you lying? What is so proposterous about Jesus Christ, darv? I mean, do you just deny Him because it's the popular, cool thing to do?

w
Stay outta my biznez

Moves
03 Mar 05

No. Never. Any religion in any workplace simply leads to peer pressure more than anything else. Suppose your boss is very religious and you're not? If he or she wants to preach to you how do you handle it at work without risking upsetting them? Suppose your coworkers and boss are Christians and you're not. Who will the promotions and favors go to? The christians or the heathen that never goes to church and doesn't hand out christmas cards with little baby Jesus on them?

So again. No religion in the workplace. A person's home and their church is where religion needs to stay. Religion is a private matter. It should stay that way.

d

Moves
03 Mar 05

Originally posted by Darfius
Why were you lying? What is so proposterous about Jesus Christ, darv? I mean, do you just deny Him because it's the popular, cool thing to do?
I lied because I liked the guy and I figured it would bring him a little light in his life. Was that so wrong?

About Jesus being cool and popular, it is irrelevant. If I were a Born Again Christian, I'm sure I would have plenty of friends and others around me who felt the same way. Acceptance is acceptance is acceptance.

Do you have any opinions about spirituality in the workplace or have you never actually held down a real job in your life?

N
The eyes of truth

elsewhere

Moves
03 Mar 05

Originally posted by vistesd
Excellent question! Whether or not witnessing is accepted as appropriate depends on how the people in the workplace view it. If someone objected, I think the "witnesser" could be compelled to stop, subject to disciplinary action. I'm speaking in the context of the US, where free speech rights do not generally extend into the private sector workplace. ...[text shortened]... particular one I know about is union-talk. Can't remember any others; maybe someone else can.
Union talk seems to have no place in the private stores of wal-mart.

The topic : I don't religion should be banned, if someone wishes to be religious that is their right. If someone wishes to not hear about that is another right. When these two conflict with each other is where we ahave a problem.

Nyxie
the Valkyrja

The Apologist

Moves
03 Mar 05

I lied because I liked the guy and I figured it would bring him a little light in his life. Was that so wrong?

About Jesus being cool and popular, it is irrelevant. If I were a Born Again Christian, I'm sure I would have plenty of friends and others around me who felt the same way. Acceptance is acceptance is acceptance.

Do you have any opinions ab ...[text shortened]... ut spirituality in the workplace or have you never actually held down a real job in your life?
Well considering I just graduated from high school, no, I have never had a 9-5, darv. I don't appreciate the sarcasm, either.

It's not irrelevant, most people who reject Jesus nowadays do so without giving it a second thought because it's what Hollywood and the media does. A lot of people are being brainwashed.

So, why have you rejected Jesus?

To stay on topic, a Christian would never favor a worker simply because they are Christian as well, that was pretty bogus. If you do better work, expect to get better rewards.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
03 Mar 05

To stay on topic, a Christian would never favor a worker simply because they are Christian as well, that was pretty bogus. If you do better work, expect to get better rewards.
A Christian employer kept me on when he should have fired me because I got the job through some mutual friends that were Christians, and he assumed that I was as well.

d

Moves
03 Mar 05

Well considering I just graduated from high school, no, I have never had a 9-5, darv. I don't appreciate the sarcasm, either.

It's not irrelevant, most people who reject Jesus nowadays do so without giving it a second thought because it's what Hollywood and the media does. A lot of people are being brainwashed.

So, why have you rejected Jesus? ...[text shortened]... Christian as well, that was pretty bogus. If you do better work, expect to get better rewards.
I didn't 'reject' Jesus, more like I never got my personal invite in the mail. 🙄 And everytime I call the Lord's house he's never available to speak to me. 🙄

a Christian would never favor a worker simply because they are Christian as well, that was pretty bogus. If you do better work, expect to get better rewards

How is this on topic?

No job, eh? Not even a paper route? You didn't even stuff grocery bags for the glory of God?

d

Moves
03 Mar 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
A Christian employer kept me on when he should have fired me because I got the job through some mutual friends that were Christians, and he assumed that I was as well.
LOL. That's alright!

w
Stay outta my biznez

Moves
03 Mar 05
1 edit

Darfius: It's not irrelevant, most people who reject Jesus nowadays do so without giving it a second thought because it's what Hollywood and the media does. A lot of people are being brainwashed.

No, they don't reject Jesus because of Hollywood. I can think of a lot of reasons to reject Jesus and none of them have to do with Hollywood. You're the one being brainwashed into believing nonsense like that. That's sounds like something Rush Limbaugh would say.

Darfius: To stay on topic, a Christian would never favor a worker simply because they are Christian as well, that was pretty bogus. If you do better work, expect to get better rewards.

I'm not sure where you live, but on my planet humans are still fallible and susceptable to every selfish, egotistical, arrogant, and greedy action that we've always been prone to commit. You obviously have spent very little time in the workforce.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Mar 05

Prattling on about Jesus during company time is inappropriate. We had a meeting or something at a place I used to work at and one of the very religious secretaries thought it would be a good idea to open the meeting with a prayer. Everyone was too stunned to do anything about it at the moment, but I complained to the owners about it later and they assured me that they too were merely caught off guard and wouldn't let it happen again.