spirituality forum

spirituality forum

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
21 Jan 17

Originally posted by KellyJay
They do if they demand them of others.
Let us not conflate sir atheism with civility.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
21 Jan 17

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
How so?
Decent atheist sets his own standards.

Theist invents his own God and then follows the standards of said invention.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Jan 17

Indeed. They are even allowed to torture babies for fun. Must be fun having no moral absolutes. Until you are the victim.
How very revealing. So it's only the fear of divine retribution that stops you from torturing babies for fun then?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Jan 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Boiling it down, if you know enough to hold another accountable for something, you've
no excuse yourself if you do not also live by that standard. We could also use Jesus'
words:

Matthew 7
Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? ...

One of the more scary verses in all of the Bible in my opinion.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Jan 17

Decent atheist sets his own standards.

Theist invents his own God and then follows the standards of said invention.
But how are standards set by one man better than standards set by another?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Jan 17
2 edits

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
How very revealing. So it's only the fear of divine retribution that stops you from torturing babies for fun then?
Logically if there are no moral absolutes you can justify any action. If God does not exist, everything is permissible. If you disagree feel free to give me one action that is always wrong.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
21 Jan 17

Sir Atheism? I've never heard of him.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Jan 17

Logically if there are no moral absolutes you can justify any action. If God does not exist, everything is permissible. If you disagree feel free to give me one action that is always wrong.
Your assertion is childish and asinine. Human morality clearly does exist, we all of us, well, the vast majority of us demonstrably although arguably with some exceptions, experience it on a daily basis. Whether or not god exists none of us know, despite the vigorous assertions to the contrary give by many of us. Your argue that the non-existence of god means that all actions are permissable; this is presumably an extrapolation of your own experience of the human condition, that it is only your belief in the existence of god which limits your own actions. You should not assume that the rest of the world shares your apparent sociopathy.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Jan 17
2 edits

Your assertion is childish and asinine. Human morality clearly does exist, we all of us, well, the vast majority of us demonstrably although arguably with some exceptions, experience it on a daily basis. Whether or not god exists none of us know, despite the vigorous assertions to the contrary give by many of us. Your argue that the non-existence of ...[text shortened]... r own actions. You should not assume that the rest of the world shares your apparent sociopathy.
When you say, 'human morality clearly does exist', does this mean you have an objective standard of morality by which you can judge whether or not something is morally right or wrong?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Jan 17

Do you have an objective standard of morality by which you can judge whether or not something is morally right or wrong?
Do you?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Jan 17

Do you?
I assume that one exists, do you?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Jan 17

I assume that one exists, do you?
Why do you make this assumption?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Jan 17

Why do you make this assumption?
Because I believe in the existence of 'good' and 'evil'. Do you?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Jan 17

Because I believe in the existence of 'good' and 'evil'. Do you?
How do you mean exactly? I certainly believe that there are people who behave in a way which what I think of as right-thinking people would term evil.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
21 Jan 17

Originally posted by DeepThought
Sir Atheism? I've never heard of him.
I believe he was knighted for all the good work he did for charity.