Sheep? or Shepherd?

Sheep? or Shepherd?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

The sky

Moves
05 Feb 07

Originally posted by SharpeMother
Yes, but if they don't listen to their instinct (which may be rare or never for a real sheep; as I said, every good analogy has its limits) then is it the dog/shepherds' fault that the sheep got attacked or killed for the choice it made?
If a shepherd has a herd of goats or cats and tries to treat them like sheep, who's to blame if they all run away? It's obvious that you can't treat all animals the same way, it won't work. And you can't even treat all sheep the same way. If the shepherd has a sheep without herd instincts, he'll have to find a different way to keep it close to the rest of the herd. If it's a sheep with reasoning skills, he might explain why staying with the herd is desirable. However, if the sheep's reasoning skills are too good, it probably won't work, because the sheep will understand that the ultimate reason why the shepherd wants to keep the herd together is that he wants to kill them later and sell their meat.

S

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
That is something I have never understood and yet it seems to be taken as obvious by most Christians. Why is there a price to be paid? What is being bought? From whom, by whom? Is it perhaps a fine we are talking about? If so what is its purpose? Punishment? The maintenance of the Heaven Fund? Who is collecting it? When Jesus suffered and died, did God co ...[text shortened]... something? How does the whole 'died but rose again' thing work? Did he pay then get a refund?
Why is there a price to be paid when someone is a murderer? You reap what you sew, you suffer the consequences, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

S

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
If a shepherd has a herd of goats or cats and tries to treat them like sheep, who's to blame if they all run away? It's obvious that you can't treat all animals the same way, it won't work. And you can't even treat all sheep the same way. If the shepherd has a sheep without herd instincts, he'll have to find a different way to keep it close to the rest of th ...[text shortened]... ants to keep the herd together is that he wants to kill them later and sell their meat.
That's ridiculous and has nothing to do with a correct analogy. Like I've said a couple times before, every good analogy has it's limits.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Feb 07

That's ridiculous and has nothing to do with a correct analogy. Like I've said a couple times before, every good analogy has it's limits.
Well, so far this analogy is proving the opposite of the intended point.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Feb 07

Why is there a price to be paid when someone is a murderer? You reap what you sew, you suffer the consequences, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Well that depends on the country and its laws - and whether or not you get caught. You certainly do not reap what you sow in this world.

The purpose of punishment and incarceration in todays society is:
1. Revenge.
2. To discourage other potential offenders.
3. To discourage repeat offenses.
4. To remove the offender from society in order to prevent repeat offenses.

Do you have another explanation or and explanation of how this applies to what we were talking about or do you actually have no explanation and are just trying to brush it under the carpet by saying "everybody knows".

KM

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
Well, so far this analogy is proving the opposite of the intended point.
I do not have a intended point in posting this analogy? Just seeing what you all come up with. Thanks Kevin

N

The sky

Moves
06 Feb 07

What's ridiculous about it? My point is that a good shepherd needs to provide care and protection for all his animals, no matter whether they behave typically or not. If they behave differently, he'll need to use a different approach. That's part of his job. Do you disagree?

My last comment was tongue-in-cheek, of course, but not without a point either, the point being that it's not advisable to blindly follow a seemingly benevolent leader.

L

Moves
06 Feb 07
1 edit

No, actually Nordlys always has good insight. Hers is a good sheep story.

If my aim were shepherding, I suppose it would be nice if my sheep had some reasoning skills, but I would want them to be severely stunted when it comes to normative deliberation. I would desire that their deliberations be childlike, marked by an eagerness to adopt heteronomous standards of conduct without conducting even cursory investigation into the notion of justification -- basically, one who understands what a rule is and believes that any rule handed down by a presumed authority is to be followed but doesn't understand what purpose(s) any rule serves. Now there's a good follower.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by LemonJello
No, actually Nordlys always has good insight. Hers is a good sheep story.

If my aim were shepherding, I suppose it would be nice if my sheep had some reasoning skills, but I would want them to be severely stunted when it comes to normative deliberation. I would desire that their deliberations be childlike, marked by an eagerness to adopt heteronomous ...[text shortened]... followed but doesn't understand what purpose(s) any rule serves. Now there's a good follower.
"I prefer an abbreviated phraseology, distinguished for its lucidity." -Stuart Chase

Main Entry: nor·ma·tive
Pronunciation: 'nor-m&-tiv
Function: adjective
Etymology: French normatif, from norme norm, from Latin norma
1 : of, relating to, or determining norms or standards
2 : conforming to or based on norms
3 : prescribing norms

Main Entry: het·er·on·o·mous
Pronunciation: "he-t&-'rä-n&-m&s
: subject to external controls and impositions

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
06 Feb 07

How can an individual stray from an omnipotent, omnipresent God? It's theoretically impossible!

a

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by Kevin Mcfarland
If a sheep wounders off and becomes lost or gets hurt or killed. Is it the sheeps fualt or the shepherd in charge of the sheep?
sheeps don't have minds to think !!

a

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
How can an individual stray from an omnipotent, omnipresent God? It's theoretically impossible!
It's theoretically impossible!

What theory and who did discover or state it ?

Cape Town

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by ahosyney
sheeps don't have minds to think !!
Sheep do have minds, they are just not nearly as clever as goats. What I always find funny is that Jesus went to the extent of telling a parable where the sheep get to heaven and the goats don't implying that God prefers people not to question too much.
Anyone who has spent time with both sheep and goats would know that goats are the troublesome ones. What not everybody realizes is that that is due to their greater intelligence and also a preference for a larger variety of food.

L

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
"I prefer an abbreviated phraseology, distinguished for its lucidity." -Stuart Chase

Main Entry: [b]nor·ma·tive

Pronunciation: 'nor-m&-tiv
Etymology: French normatif, from norme norm, from Latin norma
1 : of, relating to, or determining norms or standards
2 : conforming to or based on norms
3 : prescribing norms ...[text shortened]... ion: "he-t&-'rä-n&-m&s
: subject to external controls and impositions[/b]
:'(

Wasn't that Chevy Chase?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by ahosyney
[b]It's theoretically impossible!

What theory and who did discover or state it ?[/b]
okay, it's logically impossible to do anything that an omniscient God doesn't already know that your are going to do. Also, of course, since God made everything, then everything is a part of what God has decreed.

God says "don't murder each other", yet God created murder, at least indirectly, by creating people that he knew would murder.