Ridiculous arguments

Ridiculous arguments

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Jan 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
Yeah, the bible talks SO much about how far away stars are and red shift.
Why, it's a treasure trove of physics.
Salvation is not dependant on how far away stars are or the appearance of red shifts or blue shifts. So the Holy Bible does not need to mention these things that we can discover ourselves and are relatively unimportant in the scheme of things.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Jan 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
"According to the Holy Bible"? Really?

What you mean to say is "according to MY zero imagination interpretation of the Holy Bible".
Why is it necessary for me to be imaginative in my interpretation of the clear word of God?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Jan 14
3 edits

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Would you say the weeks in Daniel Chapter 9 are literal weeks?
Notice that in the footnote for Daniel 9:24 for "weeks" there is "Literally sevens, and so throughout the chapter." So the "sevens" is seven days or seven years, however this is a prophecy and scholars have determined a prophetic day is to be counted as a year in accordance with Genesis 29:26-28; Leviticus 25:8; Numbers 14:34; and Ezekiel 4:5-6.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Jan 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
Why is it necessary for me to be imaginative in my interpretation of the clear word of God?
Yes, you are thoroughly equipped for that job.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
23 Jan 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
Notice that in the footnote for Daniel 9:24 for "weeks" there is "Literally sevens, and so throughout the chapter." So the "sevens" is seven days or seven years, however this is a prophecy and scholars have determined a prophetic day is to be counted as a year in accordance with Genesis 29:26-28; Leviticus 25:8; Numbers 14:34; and Ezekiel 4:5-6.
The footnote?

Were those also divinely inspired?

Is this important footnote in all of the copies of the Bible, or just certain ones?

Say some scholars added a footnote to Genesis saying that the days aren't literal. Will you be ready to embrace the old universe then?

Maybe they already have and you just haven't found the Bible with the footnote in it yet. 😛

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Jan 14
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
The footnote?

Were those also divinely inspired?

Is this important footnote in all of the copies of the Bible, or just certain ones?

Say some scholars added a footnote to Genesis saying that the days aren't literal. Will you be ready to embrace the old universe then?

Maybe they already have and you just haven't found the Bible with the footnote in it yet. 😛
No, footnotes are not devinely inspired and neither are the translations and not all Bible translations provide footnotes. However, this footnote provides the literal translation of the Hebrew word that is translated week in many English translations. The New International Version actually uses the word "seven" here as is shown below:

"Seventy 'sevens' are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the Most Holy Place.

(Daniel 9:24 NIV)

Place is not actually in the Hebrew text, but the translator believed it referred to a place rather than a person.

Any Jewish Hebrew scholar knows that the literal meaning of day when a number is used and modified with evening and morning is a normal day of 24 hours as we know today. There is no doubt about it.