Rich Churches

Rich Churches

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
21 May 11

Here in Pauls letter to Timothy he advises that we keep away from churches whose leaders are rich:

1Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. [KJV]

1Timothy 6:5 Bitter talk of men who, being evil in mind and dead to what is true, take the faith to be a way of making profit. [Bible in Basic English]

Any comments ?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
21 May 11

Originally posted by Rajk999
Here in Pauls letter to Timothy he advises that we keep away from churches whose leaders are rich:

1Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. [KJV]

1Timothy 6:5 Bitter talk of men who, being evil in mind and dead to what is true, take the faith to be a way of making profit. [Bible in Basic English]

Any comments ?
It's the men of corrupt minds that we are to avoid, not rich churches.

Although it could be said that some churches that are rich are corrupt.

The other day I heard of a church that had lost millions in the stock market. I'm not so sure that the money received by a church from its members should be used as a means for profit.

Corruption is everywhere and comes in many forms.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
21 May 11

Originally posted by josephw

The other day I heard of a church that had lost millions in the stock market. I'm not so sure that the money received by a church from its members should be used as a means for profit.

Here where I live the Pentecostals particularly display this kind of greed. All the church leaders are rich. They drive the biggest cars and live in the biggest houses. They are no doubt living off the poor congregation.

Should we avoid these types of religions?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
22 May 11

Originally posted by josephw

Matthew 10:8 (Amplified Bible)
8Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, drive out demons. Freely (without pay) you have received, freely (without charge) give.

An example of how we all should view our spirituality and helping others....

But the reality is it does cost money to supply the buildings we need to meet at, to print liturature and the other every day cost needed to support these things. And if ones do decide to give their full time in such a fine work it is not out of the question to support their basic needs.
But as we all know the greed of man has abused this all thru history.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 May 11

Any comments ?
Did they already have this problem back then or was this a prophecy
of what would happen in future times? MAYBE, BOTH.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
25 May 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Did they already have this problem back then or was this a prophecy
of what would happen in future times? MAYBE, BOTH.
Crooked, greedy people who claim to be followers of Christ existed in all eras. Ananias and Sapphira were one such example.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 May 11

Any comments ?
All organised religion is centred on money; your money. The worst examples are very apparently in the US.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 May 11

Originally posted by divegeester
All organised religion is centred on money; your money. The worst examples are very apparently in the US.
All organized religion requires money to operate in todays
society, especially here in the USA. But many of these
organized religions do good work with some of that money.
They help those in times of need both in my country and
in many other parts of the world. They use some of the
money to establish and operate satellite televison stations
to broadcast Christian religious programming all over the
world in an attempt to spread the Good news of Jesus.
But it is true that some ministers keep way too much for
their own personal needs and use false teachings in their
attempt to collect more money. What are some of these
worst examples in the USA that you are referring to, so we
can all be aware of what to look for?

D

St. Peter's

Moves
26 May 11

Any comments ?
I thought you contended that Pauline doctrines were a corruption of Christianity?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 May 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
All organized religion requires money to operate in todays
society, especially here in the USA. But many of these
organized religions do good work with some of that money.
They help those in times of need both in my country and
in many other parts of the world. They use some of the
money to establish and operate satellite televison stations
to broadc ...[text shortened]... orst examples in the USA that you are referring to, so we
can all be aware of what to look for?
Greed and false teachings !! You hit the nail on the head.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 May 11

Originally posted by Doward
I thought you contended that Pauline doctrines were a corruption of Christianity?
Nope.

I said that some churches have corrupted / twisted what Paul said. Now their interpretation of Pauls guidelines are in opposition to what Christ said.

Basically Christ was clear that, FAITH, BAPTISM AND GOOD WORKS, are essential for salvation.

After their twisting of Paul's words they have concluded that FAITH ALONE is required.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 May 11

Originally posted by divegeester
Where I live the rich Pentecostal pastor lives in a 10 bedroom house, has a BMW, a Subaru, a Toyota pick-up truck, goes on expensive holidays, while most the congregation live either below the poverty line or are humble farmers and govt workers.

In the US they drive private jets etc etc

The principle remains the same.

s

England

Moves
26 May 11
1 edit

just remember the one who gave two pennys was worth more than the ones who gave larger amounts. when you go to your church you pray.. then when the day of christs return,, just pray your voice is known,, the riches will be a weight they must carry that burden is great. so do not begrudge them there treasure on earth

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 May 11

Any comments ?
People in the days when Jesus walked among us thought they could tell who
was blessed by God, just by looking at what was going on in their lives. Which
was why the sermon on the mound was so powerful, it flew into the face of
those who thought riches or lack of them was a sign of God's blessing or not.

We know God loves us all, we know that even when we are broken spirit that
we are not father away from God than when we full and content, those things
are meaningless when it comes to God's love towards us.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 May 11
1 edit

Here where I live the Pentecostals particularly display this kind of greed. All the church leaders are rich. They drive the biggest cars and live in the biggest houses. They are no doubt living off the poor congregation.

Should we avoid these types of religions?
I agree avoid people who spend all their time getting rich of others, that said,
it does not mean that the full movement is bad due to a couple or many bad
people.
Kelly