1. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 10:49
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7080326.stm

""The villagers and some of the relations were not so keen about going ahead with the surgery but the parents are looking to the future and they were very, very keen and motivated to have medical intervention," he said.

The child has been hailed by some in her village in the northern state of Bihar as the reincarnation of the multi-limbed Hindu goddess of wealth, Lakshmi. "

Take yourself back a few thousand years. Would you not too think that this child is truely the reincarnation of a goddess?

What chance would she have had if it were not for science? Even now there is pressure to keep her as she is :- because of a belief that seems out of kilter with what we know. The parents seem to have a healthier instinct for the well being of their child. What a difference to the mother of my last thread, where belief kept her from becoming a real mother.

I truely hope everything goes well for the operation, for the physical and mental well-being of the child.
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 11:30
    Originally posted by snowinscotland

""The villagers and some of the relations were not so keen about going ahead with the surgery but the parents are looking to the future and they were very, very keen and motivated to have medical intervention," he said.

The child has been hailed by some in her village in the northern state ...[text shortened]... everything goes well for the operation, for the physical and mental well-being of the child.
    The things people believe, could you imagine?
    People will write books about the reincarnation of this Goddess and the miraculous things they think she did, and in 1000 years there will be a lot of believers. Atheists saying there are no people with 8 limbs, religious saying it's a fact and she really existed and there strong evidence she is a Goddess on Earth.
    Who is closer to the truth? Both are wrong, but with this example we see there's always a good explanation for even the incredible things some believe in.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 11:54
    Take yourself back a few thousand years. Would you not too think that this child is truely the reincarnation of a goddess?
    Its got nothing to do with whether it is now or a few thousand years ago, it has to do with:
    1. Intelligence.
    2. Education.
    3. Experience.
    Not everybody a few thousand years ago would have believed it and not everybody today does not believe it.
    If I lived a few thousand years ago, who is to say whether or not I would have the necessary education, intelligence, or experience to doubt reincarnation?

So why not just say: "Pretend you are an uneducated fool. Would you not too think that this child is truly the reincarnation of a goddess?"
  4. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 14:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Its got nothing to do with whether it is now or a few thousand years ago, it has to do with:
    1. Intelligence.
    2. Education.
    3. Experience.
    Not everybody a few thousand years ago would have believed it and not everybody today does not believe it.
    If I lived a few thousand years ago, who is to say whether or not I would have the necessary education, in ...[text shortened]... ucated fool. Would you not too think that this child is truly the reincarnation of a goddess?"
    All are relative to the time we live in.

The point is the vast majority would not have had the tools to unpick the situation, and so would be much more susceptible. It is not about being a fool, just that science has allowed us to make so much more progress in understanding the world around us.

Without the luxury of a couple of thousand years we might be sacrificing a few lambs or goats to this child....
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:07
    Originally posted by snowinscotland.

The child has been hailed by some in her village in the northern state of Bihar as the reincarnation of the multi-limbed Hindu goddess of wealth, Lakshmi. "
    [/b]
    " .... by some in her village .... ". Sure .....

Please, let's not believe al this rubbish in the media .... not even if it suits one's own political or religious purposes ....
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:111 edit

The child has been hailed by some in her village in the northern state everything goes well for the operation, for the physical and mental well-being of the child.
    Just to roam a little around in your scapegoat realm .....

... if the child does not survive this operation ? Whom will you blame ? Science or religion ?
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:26
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    " .... by some in her village .... ". Sure .....

Please, let's not believe al this rubbish in the media .... not even if it suits one's own political or religious purposes ....
    But you do believe that some Catholics actually exhibit stigmata, correct?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:31

The child has been hailed by some in her village in the northern state ...[text shortened]... everything goes well for the operation, for the physical and mental well-being of the child.
    Thanks for checking in with another hysterical, Chicken Little-ish thread. I wonder how many "some" are.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:42
    She looked a bit like an octopus to me.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 17:493 edits
    According to MSNBC, the extra limbs belonged to a twin that stopped developing in the womb. However, since this was post-conception, that twin, even though it had no head, brain stem, etc. etc. was a fully human person according to Ivanhoe. Thus, detaching it from the girl was nothing short of euthanasia.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21652326/

When will the killing stop?
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 18:45
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    However, since this was post-conception, that twin, even though it had no head, brain stem, etc. etc. was a fully human person according to Ivanhoe. Thus, detaching it from the girl was nothing short of euthanasia.
    Squid-kid is a full person according to a lot of people on this forum, actually. Great counterexample.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 17:041 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    1. Intelligence.
    2. Education.
    3. Experience.
    If I lived a few thousand years ago, who is to say whether or not I would have the necessary education, in ucated fool. Would you not too think that this child is truly the reincarnation of a goddess?"
    Even better. Pretend you're an uneducated fool with no significance in the grand scheme of things. You're poor, you're dark skinned and "everyone knows" that light skinned people have all the power, you speak some tribal language maybe - you're going to want to find cool things to be proud of in your village.
  13. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 17:32
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Just to roam a little around in your scapegoat realm .....

... if the child does not survive this operation ? Whom will you blame ? Science or religion ?
    What would you do?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree