Reading God's Word at the Capital

Reading God's Word at the Capital

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
01 May 14
1 edit

http://www.dcbiblemarathon.org/Home.html

What are your thoughts of this?

I wish I could read out of the book of Acts if I was a part of this.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 May 14

Originally posted by RBHILL

I am not sure what good this is thought to do. If this has been done every year since 1990, then it does not seem to have had any effect on the members of congress. They obviously are not paying any attention to it. Perhaps they could move it around to different cities so that those that don't want to travel from California or Utah to DC would be able to participate.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 May 14

What are they hoping to achieve do you think? How many hours will be enough? What happens if they finish 1 hour too soon and just before whatever it is they are hoping to achieve is achieved? Where is the scriptural basis for this kind of evangelistic ritualistic public self-flagellation?

I know I'm appearing negative, but this kind of pseudo-Christian activity is another reason I left organised religion.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
01 May 14

Originally posted by divegeester
What are they hoping to achieve do you think? How many hours will be enough? What happens if they finish 1 hour too soon and just before whatever it is they are hoping to achieve is achieved? Where is the scriptural basis for this kind of evangelistic ritualistic public self-flagellation?

I know I'm appearing negative, but this kind of pseudo-Christian activity is another reason I left organised religion.
"Where is the scriptural basis for this kind of evangelistic ritualistic public self-flagellation?" -divegeester

My question as well.

Moves
01 May 14

I think there are a lot of people who don't like, or haven't read the US constitution.

R

California

Moves
01 May 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"Where is the scriptural basis for this kind of evangelistic ritualistic public self-flagellation?" -divegeester

My question as well.
1Tim. 4:13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 May 14

1Tim. 4:13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.
And you honestly believe that this annual demonstration is representative of Paul's instruction to Timothy?

R

California

Moves
01 May 14
1 edit

divegeester, What are your thoughts on national Day of prayer or even global Day of prayer? Today in my city I participated praying for different kinds of businesses and our leaders of the nation and local leaders and state leaders what are your thoughts on that. This is done at city hall too outside by the leaders of the city. And even in Fresno they do it outside later in the evening and some of the police chiefs and the mayor participate too.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 May 14
1 edit

divegeester, What are your thoughts on national Day of prayer or even global Day of prayer? Today in my city I participated praying for different kinds of businesses and our leaders of the nation and local leaders and state leaders what are your thoughts on that. This is done at city hall too outside by the leaders of the city. And even in Fresno they do it outside later in the evening and some of the police chiefs and the mayor participate too.
I've never heard of such things, they sound like a phenomena of the contemporary evangelical/Charismatic Movement.

I notice you avoided all of my original questions by the way. And the last one.

R

California

Moves
02 May 14
1 edit

I've never heard of such things, they sound like a phenomena of the contemporary evangelical/Charismatic Movement.

I notice you avoided all of my original questions by the way. And the last one.
Well obviously if I don't respond then I believe it. But honestly with all due respect I don't know how to answer them.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
02 May 14
1 edit

Well obviously if I don't respond then I believe it. But honestly with all due respect I don't know how to answer them.
This is exactly what I'm talking about RBHILL; in this instance you are starting a thread about some activity and extolling them in that you would be joining them and other similar activities and yet you cannot answer these simple questions from my first post:

"What are they hoping to achieve do you think? How many hours will be enough? What happens if they finish 1 hour too soon and just before whatever it is they are hoping to achieve is achieved?"

I just find this an extraordinary phenomena of the modern church; this propensity to confuse activity with productivity, to be "doing something" even if we don't know why.

R

California

Moves
02 May 14

This is exactly what I'm talking about RBHILL; in this instance you are starting a thread about some activity and extolling them in that you would be joining them and other similar activities and yet you cannot answer these simple questions from my first post:

"What are they hoping to achieve do you think? How many hours will be enough? What happens i ...[text shortened]... ensity to confuse activity with productivity, to be "doing something" even if we don't know why.
Well technically everything we do is to bring glory to God!

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
02 May 14
1 edit

Well technically everything we do is to bring glory to God!
"Technically" What do you mean, "scripturally" or something else?

Are you saying that no matter what we [you] do it brings glory to god?
Or is intended to bring glory to god?
Who is "we"?

I'm sorry to come across as pedantic but you are not being clear. If you are suggesting that 'it's all good/effective because we/they/our hearts are in the right place', then I have to disagree.

R

California

Moves
02 May 14
1 edit

"Technically" What do you mean, "scripturally" or something else?

Are you saying that no matter what we [you] do it brings glory to god?
Or is intended to bring glory to god?
Who is "we"?

I'm sorry to come across as pedantic but you are not being clear. If you are suggesting that 'it's all good/effective because we/they/our hearts are in the right place', then I have to disagree.
Whatever floats your boat. Doctrines don't divide, attitudes do!

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
02 May 14
1 edit

Doctrines don't divide, attitudes do!
Really...Because I disagree with you? I used to hear that kind of speak in church all the time. Here's another control gem: "lead, be led, or get out of the way", heard that one in your church?

Edit: guess what I did?