Question to any JW

Question to any JW

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
03 Feb 12
4 edits

Originally posted by Proper Knob
People become overweight because they eat more food than their body needs. That's a simple plain as day idiot proof fact. They over-indulge frequently.

I'm sure you're congregation would remove someone who over frequently indulged with alcohol, but if someone frequently over indulged with food and began piling on the pounds?! No one would batter an eyelid would they. That Rob, is nothing more than rank hypocrisy.
one can be overweight but not as a consequence of gluttony, merely a lifestyle with no
exercise and consuming the recommended RDA of calories for man/women. I may eat
more food than an office worker because i am pushing more than pens and the office
worker may eat less yet still be overweight, thus gluttony is not dependent upon
amounts, as its a disposition of the mind, an attitude if you like. I could for example
over indulge and vomit my food up like the ancient Romans and remain skinny, is this
gluttony, most certainly. Its the attitude, the wanton greed that is the defining
characteristic of gluttony, not being overweight.

No one is removed for indulging in alcohol, people may be removed for over indulging,
getting drunk, but only after they are counselled and attempts made to help them.

No hypocrisy PK.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Feb 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
one can be overweight but not as a consequence of gluttony, merely a lifestyle with no
exercise and consuming the recommended RDA of calories for man/women. I may eat
more food than an office worker because i am pushing more than pens and the office
worker may eat less yet still be overweight, thus gluttony is not dependent upon
amounts, as ...[text shortened]... drunk, but only after they are counselled and attempts made to help them.

No hypocrisy PK.
The simple fact is that if you over indulge with food on a regular basis then you will become overweight. Yes or no?

rc

Moves
03 Feb 12

The simple fact is that if you over indulge with food on a regular basis then you will become overweight. Yes or no?
if I stick to the RDA i can become overweight with no over indulgence.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Feb 12

if I stick to the RDA i can become overweight with no over indulgence.
The RDA is a guideline and nothing else, it's relative to the individual. If you're putting on weight you are eating too much food. It's as simple as that.

rc

Moves
03 Feb 12

The RDA is a guideline and nothing else, it's relative to the individual. If you're putting on weight you are eating too much food. It's as simple as that.
yes but its not because of overindulgence, but lack of exercise.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Feb 12

You are still putting more food into your body than it needs. You are eating to excess. If someone who is inactive eats the amount of food i do everyday they will become fat, it's relative to the individual. The inescapable fact of the matter is that if you are getting fat you are putting more food into your body than it needs. You are eating to excess.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Feb 12

The contradiction can be summed up as thus -

You're basically saying to your congregation that if they put this liquid into their bodies (alcohol) frequently and excessively then they will be 'counselled and attempts made to help them', failing that they will be removed from the congregation. If people put food stuffs into their bodies frequently and excessively no one will do anything. You'll stand by and watch them slowly kill themselves even though they are violating scripture.

rc

Moves
03 Feb 12
1 edit

You are still putting more food into your body than it needs. You are eating to excess. If someone who is inactive eats the amount of food i do everyday they will become fat, it's relative to the individual. The inescapable fact of the matter is that if you are getting fat you are putting more food into your body than it needs. You are eating to excess.
ok, on the PK scale of fatometers, how much is too much, 1kg, 2kgs, 10kgs? 20 kgs?
what shall we do? weigh everyone before they come into the Kingdom hall, 'my my
sister that's a very loose fitting dress you are wearing, are you hiding some flab under
it?' Your position is pedantic and unreasonable and unworkable in practice.

rc

Moves
03 Feb 12

The contradiction can be summed up as thus -

You're basically saying to your congregation that if they put this liquid into their bodies (alcohol) frequently and excessively then they will be 'counselled and attempts made to help them', failing that they will be removed from the congregation. If people put food stuffs into their bodies frequently and ...[text shortened]... 'll stand by and watch them slowly kill themselves even though they are violating scripture.
please see the text above.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Feb 12

ok, on the PK scale of fatometers, how much is too much, 1kg, 2kgs, 10kgs? 20 kgs?
sister that's a very loose fitting dress you are wearing, are you hiding some flab under
Explain to me why people who put a certain type of liquid into their bodies frequently and excessively can face removal from a congregation, yet nothing will happen to people who put food into their bodies frequently and excessively.

rc

Moves
03 Feb 12

Explain to me why people who put a certain type of liquid into their bodies frequently and excessively can face removal from a congregation, yet nothing will happen to people who put food into their bodies frequently and excessively.
because gluttony is condemned in scripture, alcohol abuse is gluttony, being overweight
is not.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Feb 12
1 edit

Your position is pedantic and unreasonable and unworkable in practice.

It's not my position, it's your God's position as stated in the Bible.

I can see it now, after the Great Tribulation God comes down to earth to find a load of obese JW's left on the planet. He asks -

'I though i made my position quite clear regarding food and gluttony?!'

To which you'll pipe up from the back -

'Well actually God we found your position pedantic and unreasonable and unworkable in practice so we decided to do nothing about it'.

rc

Moves
03 Feb 12
1 edit

[b]Your position is pedantic and unreasonable and unworkable in practice.

It's not my position, it's your God's position.

I can see it now, after the Great Tribulation God comes down to earth to find a load of obese JW's left on the planet. He asks -

'I though i made my position quite clear regarding food and gluttony?!'

To which you'll ntic and unreasonable and unworkable in practice so we decided to do nothing about it'.[/b]
ok now you've gone off at the deep end! great learning is making you mad!

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 Feb 12

ok now you've gone off at the deep end! great learning is making you mad!
That's the hypocrisy of your position, gluttonous drinkers will removed from your congregation yet gluttonous eaters remain. Obesity is sweeping this nation and America like a pandemic, 1/3 of adult Americans and nearly 1/4 of adults from the UK are clinically obese, the Bible has strict views on gluttonous eating yet your organisation chooses to do nothing. Cherry picking of the highest order.

rc

Moves
03 Feb 12

That's the hypocrisy of your position, gluttonous drinkers will removed from your congregation yet gluttonous eaters remain. Obesity is sweeping this nation and America like a pandemic, 1/3 of adult Americans and nearly 1/4 of adults from the UK are clinically obese, the Bible has strict views on gluttonous eating yet your organisation chooses to do nothing. Cherry picking of the highest order.
pedantry of the highest order, being overweight does not mean that one is a glutton.