probability

probability

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
19 Nov 06

Originally posted by Orange Peel
I'm just plucking numbers out of the air.
an explanation would be good

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
19 Nov 06

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
the probability of the lottery should not be based on whether you win or lose, it should be based on the process, that weird machine they use which is obviously not 50/50. you can not base probability on something you know, like the diamond thing.
Now you're starting to understand. There is a process behind every probability whether it's a machine or something else. Unless you know something about that process, there's no way you can assign a probability to an event.

OP

liar.

Moves
19 Nov 06

an explanation would be good
I don't think many people are true Christians.

I think some do, but only for their own gains.

I think more people than both the above, believe Jesus is like the tooth fairy or as my friend says the FSM.

E

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by Palynka
Now you're starting to understand. There is a process behind every probability whether it's a machine or something else. Unless you know something about that process, there's no way you can assign a probability to an event.
if God(s) created everything, then there is no process behind God(s) existance, so it would be 50/50.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Nov 06
1 edit

if God(s) created everything, then there is no process behind God(s) existance, so it would be 50/50.
IF God created everything and you know this, then it's closer to 100/0.

If you don't know that he exists, then it depends on what evidence you have. I see no evidence for His existence, so I assign a near zero probability of Him existing.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Nov 06

God does not exist so the probability of him existing is 0.

Probability theory requires several prerequisites.
1. A number of possible outcomes.
2. A random selection process.

If one of the outcomes is not possible (God cannot exist) then you cannot assign probabilities. The selection process is not know (as you admit) so again you cannot assign probabilities.

j

Moves
20 Nov 06

there is a difference between this and what dr. scribbles said, dr. scribbles says the die can be either a 3 or not a 3, but there is 5 other possiblities. with this one, there is two possibilities, his theory is flawed. God can not half-exist, he either does or he doesnt. since there is only two possibilities, it should be compared to a coin, not a die. when you flip a coin it is either heads or tails and has a 50% chance to land on heads.
Sounds like sound thinking to me. Why were you called stupid?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by jaywill
Sounds like sound thinking to me. Why were you called stupid?
EcstremeV - you can take this as a compliment if you like, but considering the source.....

j

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
EcstremeV - you can take this as a compliment if you like, but considering the source.....
He doesn't have to consider the source. He only has to consider whether or not there is truth there.

That's one reason why you lack credibility. You're biased.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Nov 06

He doesn't have to consider the source. He only has to consider whether or not there is truth there.

So all biased people lack credibility? If that is your understanding of logic then no wonder you thought the 50/50 idea made sense.
By the way, by supporting EcstremeVenoms view point you are saying that you think there is a 50% chance that you are wrong about the existence of God. What little faith you have!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
20 Nov 06

Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

And I suppose you're a paragon of objectivity, eh?

j

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
So all biased people lack credibility? If that is your understanding of logic then no wonder you thought the 50/50 idea made sense.
By the way, by supporting EcstremeVenoms view point you are saying that you think there is a 50% chance that you are wrong about the existence of God. What little faith you have!
I think that the anology of the existence or non-existence of something it is a binary proposition.

So the coin analogy is more appropriate it we're talking about the probobility of that idea.

And if you are talking about probabilty then bias is a problem.
You're in the realm of mathematics.

j

Moves
20 Nov 06

Originally posted by rwingett
Well isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

And I suppose you're a paragon of objectivity, eh?
I'm biased.

But I know it.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
20 Nov 06

If I were dead, I would be rolling over in my grave right now.

To remove the label "stupid" from the 50/50 gang, I suggest the following criteria:

1) read this short entry and explain how it relates to the OP. Specifically, why is it important to understand the sample space and is the 50/50's definition sufficient?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_space

2) List the Laws of Probability. Explain why misrepresenting the sample space almost always invalidates probabilistic claims that follow.

3) Finally, read the following link and correctly formalize the measure space for this problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_space

I have chosen these links from a layman's source to facilitate learning.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
20 Nov 06

I think that the anology of the existence or non-existence of something it is a binary proposition.

So the coin analogy is more appropriate it we're talking about the probobility of that idea.

And if you are talking about probabilty then bias is a problem.
You're in the realm of mathematics.
You need to follow the steps listed in my post above. You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Several excellent examples of "binary propositions" for which the event probabilities are not equal (i.e. 0.5 and 0.5) have been offered in this thread already.

Here is another. I have a daughter. Either her name is "jknm29u3ne" or it is not "jknm29u3ne." Do you think that the probability that her name is "jknm29u3ne" is 0.5?