Prayer

Prayer

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
04 Dec 07

Originally posted by amannion
Of course there will be people like those you speak of - and like you - whose faith is very keen and very important. But there will be many others for whom it isn't.
We can trade examples and counter examples until we're both blue in the face.
The reality is that for many people, it just doesn't really matter.
My many threads on evolution, ID and creatio ...[text shortened]... t really matter surely,' would be their response to my reply.
And for many it doesn't.
To be fair, I know of Christians like the ones you describe as well. They call themselves Christians but know little about what they profess to believe and do not even incorporate the teachings of the man they idenify with who is Christ. I think we can both agree that this is no way to be whether you be a person of faith or otherwise. If you say you believe something have convictions about it and know why it is you believe what you believe. To be honest, I think this is perhaps why you were turned off by the Christian faith. After all, if it means nothing to the Christians you know then why have anything to do with it at all? There are much better ways of wasting ones time, no?

JJ

Moves
04 Dec 07

But T head.... who are you to judge if someone is wrong... remarks peppered with sarcasm and indignation does not help.... surely if one side is trying to lighten the mood to help that must be a good thing right?

Whodey...i also have experienced these "Christians"... i try to help them also... i may not be knowledgeable in the Bible but i know what i like and i know what i think is positive so as long as there is some sort of positivity going around then surely that is a good thing right?

Have a nice day 🙂

w

Moves
04 Dec 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
But T head.... who are you to judge if someone is wrong... remarks peppered with sarcasm and indignation does not help.... surely if one side is trying to lighten the mood to help that must be a good thing right?

Whodey...i also have experienced these "Christians"... i try to help them also... i may not be knowledgeable in the Bible but i know what i lik ...[text shortened]... sort of positivity going around then surely that is a good thing right?

Have a nice day 🙂
I certainly did not mean to offend any one by the things I have said, however, I think the Bible has sober warnings about living a life that only professes to know Christ but has no fruit produced as evidence of it. Let's just say that we keep it simple and identify the #1 commandment in the Bible which is to love the Lord you God with all your heart and mind and to love your neighbor as yourself. Can one love God and their neighbor in word only even though their actions may not fall in line? One thing is for certain, and that is the only people Jesus went after were the religious leaders of his day. The charge was hypocrisy. In order for people to "see the light", so to speak, one must be a light to shine in the darkness.

JJ

Moves
04 Dec 07

Originally posted by whodey
I certainly did not mean to offend any one by the things I have said, however, I think the Bible has sober warnings about living a life that only professes to know Christ but has no fruit produced as evidence of it. Let's just say that we keep it simple and identify the #1 commandment in the Bible which is to love the Lord you God with all your heart and min ...[text shortened]... der for people to "see the light", so to speak, one must be a light to shine in the darkness.
You did not offend.... One thing i do know is that Jesus also spent the majority of his time with the Tax collectors,Lepers,Homeless,persecuted etc,etc.... so there is light!!!!

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
04 Dec 07

To be fair, I know of Christians like the ones you describe as well. They call themselves Christians but know little about what they profess to believe and do not even incorporate the teachings of the man they idenify with who is Christ. I think we can both agree that this is no way to be whether you be a person of faith or otherwise. If you say you believ ...[text shortened]... en why have anything to do with it at all? There are much better ways of wasting ones time, no?
No, I was turned off by the christian faith for the same reason I've rejected any religious faith - I don't believe in the tooth fairy or in santa claus.

JJ

Moves
05 Dec 07

No, I was turned off by the christian faith for the same reason I've rejected any religious faith - I don't believe in the tooth fairy or in santa claus.
But God is not those things...

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
05 Dec 07

But God is not those things...
To me, there's no difference. All are supernatural fantasies.

JJ

Moves
05 Dec 07

To me, there's no difference. All are supernatural fantasies.
But God is more plausible...

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
05 Dec 07

But God is more plausible...
Why is that?

JJ

Moves
05 Dec 07

Why is that?
Does anything back up the exsistence of Santa and the Tooth Fairy?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
05 Dec 07

Does anything back up the exsistence of Santa and the Tooth Fairy?
I'm laughing at that one.
Of course not - which is why I don't believe in them.
And you know what's coming next don't you - what backs up the existence of a god?

JJ

Moves
06 Dec 07

I'm laughing at that one.
Of course not - which is why I don't believe in them.
And you know what's coming next don't you - what backs up the existence of a god?
did you lol !!!

i know...the same old question over and over again... christians believe it is the Bible...maybe also the dead sea scrolls...or maybe just maybe its one persons belief against anothers....the age old fight!!!

w

Moves
06 Dec 07

To be fair, there is no evidence for the existence of santa claus and the tooth fairy is there? Therefore, there is no reason to believe in them. However, if your friends say that they have reason to believe that santa and the fairys exist then perhaps it should be considered as evidence, no? Of coarse there are many other evidences other than the evidence of God in our own lives. For example, there is a long rich history about men and women who worshiped the God of the Bible. This history is by in large factual as Biblical archaeology can attest. Also there are prophesies that have been fulfilled and are currently being fulfilled. For example, just look at what is happening in the Middle East today. If Israel did not exist as was prophesied then these prophesies would all be null and void in our lives today yet they do exist against all odds. Just look at our own existence. How is life produced from nonliving matter? There are theories but that is all. For that matter, where did nonliving matter come from? There are theories, but that is all. Why is it such a deluded stretch to say that life on earth is not the only life in the universe? If there are other life forms, why is it such a stretch to say that another life form placed us all here? I know of no scientists who deny the possibility of other life forms in the universe and, in fact, if you said there were no other life forms they would probably say that that is an impossibility. If life can arise here why not over there? That is the question that must be answered and what drives scientists out of their minds trying to answer.

JJ

Moves
06 Dec 07

To be fair, there is no evidence for the existence of santa claus and the tooth fairy is there? Therefore, there is no reason to believe in them. However, if your friends say that they have reason to believe that santa and the fairys exist then perhaps it should be considered as evidence, no? Of coarse there are many other evidences other than the evidence ...[text shortened]... e question that must be answered and what drives scientists out of their minds trying to answer.
Excellent Whodey.... were not other living beings(if there are any) made by God also?

a

Moves
06 Dec 07

PRAY IS PRAY