Physics Professor Knows Nothing About Physics!

Physics Professor Knows Nothing About Physics!

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
09 Jun 18

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
First, I take "understanding" to mean "comprehension ability". Fine. Let's say that there is no poser, and no puzzler, that God cannot solve. That is well and good, but it does not rule out that God is ignorant of certain true propositions. It just means that, should he stumble upon a new conundrum stemming from a discovered truth, he would be able t ...[text shortened]... tial objects.

And all this before we've hit the brick wall of the General Argument From Evil.
In short, you are defining a phrase like "knows all things," as "has the potential to figure anything out, given enough information and time." I guess we could say that about just about any run of the mill human being. I can't really argue against that accept to say you are unnecessarily adding to what's there and you are reducing the Creator of the universe to a bumbling schmuck with about a 120 IQ.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
09 Jun 18

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
Redundant. I get your point. I don't agree with it. And we could go on a lengthy exchange about the stark differences between the bible and a recently written fantasy novel series. But that's not necessary, is it?
So the veracity of the Bible is because it wasn't written recently?

But my point is : why isn't Harry Potter believed? Can you disprove it?

Moves
09 Jun 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
The jig is up?

Well, at least I have the cat.
It’s not my bag.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
09 Jun 18

In short, you are defining a phrase like "knows all things," as "has the potential to figure anything out, given enough information and time." I guess we could say that about just about any run of the mill human being. I can't really argue against that accept to say you are unnecessarily adding to what's there and you are reducing the Creator of the universe to a bumbling schmuck with about a 120 IQ.
No, I'm not. I'm saying, for example, that God can solve all chess puzzles, as long as he knows the rules.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Jun 18

Originally posted by @alphazero
Physics Class 3:9

The Professor asked us students to define physics...

Half the students get up from the class and run to the dean's office. demanding a new professor because clearly our professor knows nothing about physics - for crying out loud they asked us, the students, a question!!!

Now, being perfectly objective about this professor, one m ...[text shortened]... anyone fails to the see the sarcasm/satire go to bigdogg's post about God not being omniscient.
So you have proof of this alleged god's omniscience? And even if so, that has to do with assswipe students how?

Are you trying to say the prof should never have asked that question?

Like a music teach to first time music students, asking them what exactly IS music anyway?

Are you implying there is something wrong with that?

Perhaps you would suggest there should never be any music that celebrates mere humans instead of 100% hosannahs about your alleged god?

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
09 Jun 18

Originally posted by @wolfgang59

Harry Potter was written explicitly as fiction. There is no serious claim from anyone that it's true.

Moves
10 Jun 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @sonhouse
So you have proof of this alleged god's omniscience? And even if so, that has to do with assswipe students how?

Are you trying to say the prof should never have asked that question?

Like a music teach to first time music students, asking them what exactly IS music anyway?

Are you implying there is something wrong with that?

Perhaps you would ...[text shortened]... never be any music that celebrates mere humans instead of 100% hosannahs about your alleged god?
I'm surprised that an individual who seems as capable of intelligent thought could miss the point of my post. But, I'll go with you for a moment...

I do have proof - the Scriptures clearly teach it. Any serious student of the Scriptures knows this. In systematic theology, God's omniscience is taught as one of God's incommunicable attributes.

It appears you have little to no ability to understand or appreciate satire and sarcasm.

BigDog basically (in essence) suggested that God by asking a question in Genesis 3:9 disproves he knows all things. I, through satire, made light fun of Bigdog's post by fictitiously showing a physics professor asking a question which results in students assuming he knows nothing about physics. If you can't see the parallel then there's little point in us talking further.

No, a professor is perfectly justified in asking such a question just as God is.

I'm beginning to think you clearly didn't read the reference. A music teach (using your words) is perfectly justified in asking questions. The teach[er] does that and hopes to use it as a learning point.

No. Bach, Correlli, and others wrote music that is very aesthetically pleasing and while Handel's Messiah might be more explicitly honoring of God Bach and Correlli's talent is honoring as well.

Next time - try to understand the entire context. You totally missed my point. I am a classically trained musician since I was 6. I love music and enjoy talking about it.

However, I realise you are (apparently) needlessly antagonistic of theism, or at least just Christianity. Have a nice evening, sonhouse. Next time try to understand the context of my post - I even explicitly pointed it out at the bottom of my post....

However, I actually thank you for your post. The indignation you felt over my post is sincere. If my post had been true it would have been worthy of such indignation. However, it isn't true. It was made to make fun of bigdog's post. Your indignation over my satire of students assuming a professor knows nothing about physics should be shared over one assuming the same thing about God asking a question and thus God does not know all things...

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
10 Jun 18

A book thousands of years old that has prevailed against unprecedented scrutiny the entire time would not be compared apples to apples by any rational person, with a fantasy novel recently written and intended as pure fiction.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Jun 18

Harry Potter was written explicitly as fiction. There is no serious claim from anyone that it's true.
My question was "Can you disprove it is true?"

How would you disprove it to someone who honestly
and genuinely believed every word of it was fact?

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
10 Jun 18
1 edit

My question was "Can you disprove it is true?"

How would you disprove it to someone who honestly
and genuinely believed every word of it was fact?
Any bible believer that likewise asks, "Can you disprove the existence of God?", is accordingly taken to task for demanding proof of a negative which is a logical fallacy. Your question is even worse because you are asking someone to prove an established work of fiction isn't fiction. As if the author accidentally--against her will, even--conjured up a completely true account. Questions like "prove unicorns don't exist," or "prove leprechauns don't exist" are actually superior to yours, because there at least are a couple of wackos that believe they exist. ZERO people believe the Harry Potter fiction novels are true.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
10 Jun 18

Originally posted by @alphazero
I'm surprised that an individual who seems as capable of intelligent thought could miss the point of my post. But, I'll go with you for a moment...

I do have proof - the Scriptures clearly teach it. Any serious student of the Scriptures knows this. In systematic theology, God's omniscience is taught as one of God's incommunicable attributes.

It app ...[text shortened]... assuming the same thing about God asking a question and thus God does not know all things...
[/b]
Yeah, how dare an instructor check his students' preconceptions on a subject with a simple question!

You're not as smart as you think you are.

T

Moves
10 Jun 18

A book thousands of years old that has prevailed against unprecedented scrutiny the entire time would not be compared apples to apples by any rational person, with a fantasy novel recently written and intended as pure fiction.
A book thousands of years old that has prevailed against unprecedented scrutiny the entire time...

It has only prevailed in the minds of those who delude themselves into believing that THEIR INTERPRETATION of a text that is steeped in metaphor, is widely open to interpretation and contains inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions is "the word of God". The reality is that they only have THEIR INTERPRETATION.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Jun 18

Any bible believer that likewise asks,......
I'm not talking about the bible.
What has the bible got to do with Harry Potter?

My question which you seem incapable of answering:
Can you disprove the Harry Potter books?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Jun 18

ZERO people believe the Harry Potter fiction novels are true.
Do you understand what hypothetical means?

Also do you think the truth can be discerned by popularity?

If something is TRUE and ZERO people believe it ... does that make it false?

Moves
10 Jun 18

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
Yeah, how dare an instructor check his students' preconceptions on a subject with a simple question!

You're not as smart as you think you are.
Does no one on here understand sarcasm/satire???

BigDog, apparently you are not that smart. I literally created the entire story to make fun of your question. How dare an instructor as such a question??? They are perfectly justified in asking such a question. Just as God is.

Anyone with an ounce of honest sense would see that you just proved my post with your response. And if you fail to see that - you are not that smart.

Yet, the definition of a fool is someone who sees it and ignores it or refuses to see it.