1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '20 16:25
    @secondson said
    Veganism.
    Rights. Freedoms. Entitlements. Taxation. Government authority. Intervention. Responsibility Representation. Social obligations. Justice. Punishment. Values. Religion. Gender. Sexual orientation. Nature and the environment. Stuff like that. Stuff that touches on what your moral compass tells you as is the case with abortion. "Veganism" just sounds facetious.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    16 Nov '20 16:48
    @fmf said
    So, you'd like to see all your moral beliefs enshrined in law so that other people had to comply with them? You can't think of ANY moral issues you'd be willing to compromise on?
    The "morality" I hold to is "enshrined" in the sacred scriptures of which the only true and living God has enumerated.

Ideally I'd like to see that morality enacted into law because it would be for the good, health and wellbeing of all mankind.

But let's be practical. That won't happen in reality until Jesus returns.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '20 16:54
    @secondson said
    The "morality" I hold to is "enshrined" in the sacred scriptures of which the only true and living God has enumerated.

Ideally I'd like to see that morality enacted into law because it would be for the good, health and wellbeing of all mankind.
    So, just to be clear, your answer to...

"So, you'd like to see all your moral beliefs enshrined in the law of the land so that other people had to comply with them?"

...is "yes", right?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '20 16:591 edit
    @secondson said
    You'd ideally like to impose the implications of these personal beliefs on the people around who don't share them?
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    16 Nov '20 20:37
    @fmf said
    So, just to be clear, your answer to...

"So, you'd like to see all your moral beliefs enshrined in the law of the land so that other people had to comply with them?"

...is "yes", right?
    My moral beliefs?
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    16 Nov '20 20:39
    @fmf said
    You'd ideally like to impose the implications of these personal beliefs on the people around who don't share them?
    I would impose?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '20 23:17
    @secondson said
    I would impose?
    Yes, in the sense framed by the thread topic.
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    16 Nov '20 23:33
    @divegeester said
    Could you provide a working example of a “metaphysical leap of faith” upon which a series of values would be based by a secular humanist state ?
    Sure -- it's too easy, because basically everything that is not rooted in empiricism is a sort of value judgment, and I think that you could even argue that empiricism itself brings with it its own value judgment.

So, even if we say something like men and women are equal, what most people in the world view as highly agreeable and think of as a sort of basis for many of our laws based on gender equality, it is still very much just a leap of faith. There is nothing in the natural world that would suggest men are equal, let alone two distinct genders with different physical characteristics and even different tendencies in their cognitive lives are equal.

You would be hard pressed to even find evidence for a statement that men with the same father are equal.

But, it is treated as a sacred principle, and it is just commonly accepted conventions enshrined in our Western liberal democracies, in spite of the fact that there is nothing in the natural world to suggest it is true.

These things are all metaphysical leaps of faith that our secular humanist societies have come to.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '20 23:43
    @philokalia said
    Sure -- it's too easy, because basically everything that is not rooted in empiricism is a sort of value judgment, and I think that you could even argue that empiricism itself brings with it its own value judgment.

So, even if we say something like men and women are equal, what most people in the world view as highly agreeable and think of as a sort of basis for m ...[text shortened]...
    These things are all metaphysical leaps of faith that our secular humanist societies have come to.
    Are there any personal principles or standards that are important to you that you would not want to see enshrined in laws that force everybody to conform to how you see the world.
  10. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 01:44
    @fmf said
    Are there any personal principles or standards that are important to you that you would not want to see enshrined in laws that force everybody to conform to how you see the world.
    I didn't answer this the first time because it just seems like a rude rhetorical question, and my opinion of it has not changed.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 01:48
    @philokalia said
    I didn't answer this the first time because it just seems like a rude rhetorical question, and my opinion of it has not changed.
    How is it "rude"?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 01:54
    @philokalia said
    Nope. It's not a "rhetorical question". If you don't want to answer, that's fine. But I think you are hiding behind a misuse the word "rhetorical" because it was clearly a question that invites an answer.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 07:36

Removed by poster

14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 07:37
    @philokalia said
    If you don’t already, you should play Dodgeball.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 07:41
    @philokalia said
    So, even if we say something like men and women are equal, what most people in the world view as highly agreeable and think of as a sort of basis for many of our laws based on gender equality, it is still very much just a leap of faith. There is nothing in the natural world that would suggest men are equal, let alone two distinct genders with different physical characteristics and even different tendencies in their cognitive lives are equal.
    think we have a different idea of what “metaphysical” means.

No one claims “men and women are equal”, they talk about “equality” of rights.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree