Patterns in DNA - what are your predictions?

Patterns in DNA - what are your predictions?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Jun 15

Originally posted by sonship
Whatever the answer, how will the answer effect the Spirituality of a person ?
I am not sure. What do you mean by 'spirituality of a person'?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
22 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
DNA replication is not perfect. There are a certain number of mistakes made for each generation of humans. When mistakes occur in important parts, then genetic diseases may result and due to natural selection the mistakes get weeded out. However there are large parts of DNA for which single mistakes have no detrimental effects and so mistakes accumulate o ...[text shortened]... found. Will a pattern be found that is expected if we are related, or will no pattern be found?
In the fall of 2005, in a special issue of Nature devoted to chimpanzees, researchers reported the draft sequence of the chimpanzee genome. At the time, some researchers called it “the most dramatic confirmation yet” of Darwin’s theory that man shared a common ancestor with the apes. One headline read: “Charles Darwin Was Right and Chimp Gene Map Proves It.”

So what is this great and overwhelming “proof” of chimp-human common ancestry? Researchers found 96 percent genetic similarity and a difference between us of 4 percent. This is a very strange kind of proof because it is actually double the percent difference that evolutionists have claimed for years! Even so, no matter what the actual percent difference turned out to be, whether 2, 4, or 10 percent, they still would have claimed that Darwin was right to support their worldview.

Further, the use of percentages obscures the magnitude of the differences. For example, 1.23 percent of the differences are single base pair substitutions. This doesn’t sound like much until you realize that it represents about 35 million differences! But that is only the beginning. There are 40–45 million bases present in humans that are missing from chimps and about the same number present in chimps that are absent from man. These extra DNA nucleotides are called “insertions” or “deletions” because they are thought to have been added to or lost from the original sequence. This puts the total number of DNA differences at about 125 million. However, since the insertions can be more than one nucleotide long, there are about 40 million total separate mutation events that would separate the two species in the evolutionary view.

40 million separate mutation events would have had to take place and become fixed in the population in only 300,000 generations. This is an average of 133 mutations locked into the genome every generation. Locking in such a staggering number of mutations in a relatively small number of generations is a problem referred to as “Haldane’s dilemma.”

Roughly 10 percent of genes examined showed significant differences in expression levels between chimpanzees and humans. Scientists comparing the number of genes in gene families have revealed significant differences between humans and chimpanzees. Humans have 689 genes that chimps lack and chimps have 86 genes that humans lack. Such differences mean that 6 percent of the gene complement is different between humans and chimpanzees, irrespective of the individual DNA base pairs.

Importantly, not all of the data support chimp-human common ancestry as nicely as evolutionists typically suggest. In particular, when scientists made a careful comparison between human, chimpanzee, and gorilla genomes, they found a significant number of genetic markers where humans matched gorillas more closely than chimpanzees! Indeed, at 18–29 percent of the genetic markers, either humans and gorillas or chimpanzees and gorillas had a closer match to each other than chimpanzees and humans.

These results are certainly not what one would expect according to standard evolutionary theory. Chimpanzees and humans are supposed to share a more recent common ancestor with each other than either have with the gorilla. Trying to account for the unexpected distribution of common markers that would otherwise conflict with evolutionary predictions, the authors of this study made the bizarre suggestion: Perhaps chimpanzees and humans split off from a common ancestor, but later descendants of each reproduced to form chimp-human hybrids. Such an “explanation” appears to be an attempt to rescue the concept of chimp-human common ancestry rather than to provide the data to confirm this hypothesis.

https://answersingenesis.org/genetics/dna-similarities/what-about-the-similarity-between-human-and-chimp-dna/

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
22 Jun 15

Originally posted by C Hess
But then, does that mean that you don't trust genetics can determine how closely related two humans are?
I get it Hess.

Then if we took the genes from an ape, and genes from a man, and did the test, we would know whether or not the two are related?

That seems odd to me. Seems as though we would have to get the genes from millions of apes, and millions of men before we found a match! No?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
22 Jun 15

Originally posted by JS357
I'm not joking, but I'm also not stating my opinion. I'm just stating an opinion I have seen on line, such as at

wwwevolution.com/Documents/Spiritual_Warfare/Satan_deceives_many.htm

My point is that the "defense" of creationism against evidence-based arguments is bulletproof, since any "evidence" against it can called a Satanic deception. Debating it is ultimately pointless.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

How is the defense of creationism bulletproof against evidence-based arguments?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
22 Jun 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
Well obviously we all have DNA. What I am talking about is patterns that directly point to common ancestry. Pattern that we would not expect to find if we were not related.
Do you think we will find them or not?
You may find them, but how would you know that those patterns would mean "common ancestry"?

How do you know those patterns wouldn't also show up in the DNA of fish or worms or any other creature?

Moves
23 Jun 15
3 edits

Originally posted by josephw
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

How is the defense of creationism bulletproof against evidence-based arguments?
The defense is,"Satan is trying to deceive us by making it look as though the earth is old and we came about by a godless evolutionary process." That's bulletproof because it is a 'science stopper' as Christian philosopher Alvin Plantinga puts it. It's outside the reach of science.

I'm surprised that this point of mine is such a bother. It's very Biblical.

http://www.endtime.com/endtime-magazine-articles/evolution-a-world-deception/

and many other sites.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Jun 15

The defense is,"Satan is trying to deceive us by making it look as though the earth is old and we came about by a godless evolutionary process." That's bulletproof because it is a 'science stopper' as Christian philosopher Alvin Plantinga puts it. It's outside the reach of science.

I'm surprised that this point of mine is such a bother. It's very Biblical. ...[text shortened]... /www.endtime.com/endtime-magazine-articles/evolution-a-world-deception/

and many other sites.
Yes, Satan has deceived the whole world one way or another.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Jun 15

You may find them, but how would you know that those patterns would mean "common ancestry"?

How do you know those patterns wouldn't also show up in the DNA of fish or worms or any other creature?
I am not saying (at this stage of the thread) that the pattern would definitively prove common ancestry. I am merely saying that there is a very specific pattern we would expect to find if we are related and would not expect to find if we are not related. You do not need to understand the details to answer the question. Can you give a straight answer?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 Jun 15

Originally posted by RJHinds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VFuHj9_Tgw
Yes Hinds, you are a classic creationist.

I'm sure when you go to the fridge in the morning and discover all the butter is gone, the devil gets the blame.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Jun 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Yes Hinds, you are a classic creationist.

I'm sure when you go to the fridge in the morning and discover all the butter is gone, the devil gets the blame.
Why not?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 Jun 15

Why not?
Please provide scriptual basis on why the devil would steal the butter from your fridge.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 Jun 15

I'm surprised that this point of mine is such a bother. It's very Biblical. ...[text shortened]... /www.endtime.com/endtime-magazine-articles/evolution-a-world-deception/

and many other sites.
Not a bother JS. I'm just trying to reconcile what you said with what you mean.

How is Satan making it look as though the earth is old? In what way is he doing that? Are you suggesting that Satan has control over material manifestation, or is it by the blinding of the mind?

Just want to be clear is all. I haven't viewed the link yet. Maybe I don't necessarily need to since I am aware of the devices of the devil first hand. Formidable foe, but a defeated one nonetheless.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 Jun 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Please provide scriptual basis on why the devil would steal the butter from your fridge.
It's silly to think the devil is interest in stealing butter. Satan wants souls.

Stealing is the devils work. The devil is behind the scenes...and that's all I'm going to say about it at this point. 😉

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 Jun 15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VFuHj9_Tgw
I'm not so sure I'd be that loose defining Satan's methods. Satan isn't omnipotent. He is limited in specific ways to the scope and breadth of his influence.

Man gets plenty of credit for his own choices and actions.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Jun 15

How is Satan making it look as though the earth is old? In what way is he doing that? Are you suggesting that Satan has control over material manifestation, or is it by the blinding of the mind?
His point is not about specifics. What he is saying is that as long as you can blame anything on the devil, you will never be convinced of something you don't want to, no mater how much evidence is presented to you because you can always say the devil is responsible for the evidence.