1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 01:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yeah some people like mountain climbing, they feel that sense of wonderment that you are referring to on the top of mountains, others like diving in the sea, others like the forest or the Aurora Borealis. Here the forest is not dangerous, but I have a friend from Montana who says that they get bears in their back yard, they got like bear proof garba ...[text shortened]... life. Man I could live up there no problem if i could make veggie burgers from wild mushrooms.
    When we lived in Alaska, we used to pick these humungus wonderful mushrooms the size of plates, totally edible, we had mushroom steaks! That's how big they were!
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 07:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Robbie, you might get a kick out of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY-ZoVMwGKM
    Outstanding!
    KJ
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 07:401 edit
    When we lived in Alaska, we used to pick these humungus wonderful mushrooms the size of plates, totally edible, we had mushroom steaks! That's how big they were!
    morels?

I've seen pictures of them as big as that, mainly from friends who know
    how much I love them and want to make me regret moving from the
    midwest. We never got them that big, when I did live there. The largest
    one I ever found was when I was playing golf I hit my ball it landed next
    to one that was close to a half a pound, it tasted good!
    Kelly
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 08:51
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    They don't know about context. Nice imagery in the OP by the way.
    You mean the little church? I have mixed feelings about churches, you see the spire on that one is Norman in design, its square and resembles the parapet of a castle, almost militaristic in appearance. I find the larger ones to be ostentatious and when i think of the poverty that surrounded them it really makes me despair.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 08:52
    Sure that's fine but what does a veggie do in wintertime?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 09:23
    I have to admit that I love trees. Chop down a tree and you chop down an entire community.
    Are you willing to participate in any political activism that might contribute to a reduction in the number of trees getting cut down around the world?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 10:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are you willing to participate in any political activism that might contribute to a reduction in the number of trees getting cut down around the world?
    No political activities for me. Although I do plant trees. I have an Ash sapling that I have grown that I will plant somewhere.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 10:11
    Sure that's fine but what does a veggie do in wintertime?
    In Alaska, all you can do is hope there are veggies at the local grocery unless you have an excellent power source and a greenhouse.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 10:201 edit
    In Alaska, all you can do is hope there are veggies at the local grocery unless you have an excellent power source and a greenhouse.
    I remember Adak Alaska, we would drive from one base to another on
    the other side of the island. Adak national forst was between the two,
    there was a sign that said, "You are entering and leaving Adak National
    Forest" which was 6 puny trees next to each other. I had someone since
    tell me (don't recall who) some smuck ran them over, what a moron.
    Nothing grew up there but eagles, otters, rats, and tundra and a few
    other creatures. 🙂
    Kelly
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 17:121 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I remember Adak Alaska, we would drive from one base to another on
    the other side of the island. Adak national forst was between the two,
    there was a sign that said, "You are entering and leaving Adak National
    Forest" which was 6 puny trees next to each other. I had someone since
    tell me (don't recall who) some smuck ran them over, what a moron.
    Nothing grew up there but eagles, otters, rats, and tundra and a few
    other creatures. 🙂
    Kelly
    Yes, Kuluk bay. Even in Anchorage the trees were skinny but I think they have always been like that, I don't think the forests were denuded like in Virginia and such in the US where in the 1700's entire forests were cut down for the young iron industry and now all there is is 3rd gen forests although some of those forests are recovering to something like their former glory.

So were you Adak army or Adak Navy?
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 19:49
    You mean the little church? I have mixed feelings about churches, you see the spire on that one is Norman in design, its square and resembles the parapet of a castle, almost militaristic in appearance. I find the larger ones to be ostentatious and when i think of the poverty that surrounded them it really makes me despair.
    I was thinking of the poem, not the prose. A church was often the only stone building. So when war came along people could shelter in a building that was already fortified.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 22:01
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I was thinking of the poem, not the prose. A church was often the only stone building. So when war came along people could shelter in a building that was already fortified.
    The poem, ok, yeah, thanks. I suppose if you have no stone, in Scotland we have crannogs which are like usually built surrounded by water, i saw some very ancient ones on the outer Hebrides, thousands of years old, built like round towers in the middle of a body of water.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 01:43
    Yes, Kuluk bay. Even in Anchorage the trees were skinny but I think they have always been like that, I don't think the forests were denuded like in Virginia and such in the US where in the 1700's entire forests were cut down for the young iron industry and now all there is is 3rd gen forests although some of those forests are recovering to something like their former glory.

So were you Adak army or Adak Navy?
    Navy, I was a radioman on Mt Moffit (sp) for a year, 18 days, 23 hours,
    and 12 mins. 🙂
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 02:181 edit
    Near my home along the Forth and Clyde canal built in the 1700's and now a national monument lies the parish of Cadder. A church of some description has stood on the same site since the 1100's which by any account is pretty ancient the present one having been erected in the 1800's. I went not to pay my respects to the diseased but to see a tree whi ...[text shortened]... ://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TrAfgqXvlJU/SwgWsxeygHI/AAAAAAAAAgE/xt9yaiZf1GI/s1600/cawder+graveyard.JPG
    Now was this church a JW church, the only true church, or where they pagan Satan worshiping evangelicals?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 08:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    Now was this church a JW church, the only true church, or where they pagan Satan worshiping evangelicals?
    Its as far as I am aware a church of Scotland building.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree