Neanderthals

Neanderthals

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
05 Sep 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
If you ever heard of the O.J. Simpson case, you should know that DNA
can get contaminated easily. The state tried to use DNA to convict
Mr. Simpson and could not do it due to the possibility of contamination.
And that DNA doesn't even come close to the possibility of deterioration
and contamination that would result from and DNA they could possibly
obt ...[text shortened]... anderthal man. But even if this was possible, it certainly could not
give a reliable result.
I don't know if there is any evidence they tried to test any DNA of the Neanderthal man.

How do you propose that scientists sequenced the neanderthal genome if they didn't have any DNA?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Sep 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
[b]I don't know if there is any evidence they tried to test any DNA of the Neanderthal man.

How do you propose that scientists sequenced the neanderthal genome if they didn't have any DNA?[/b]
I don't have any evidence that they did such a thing. I believe nobody
knows anything about them and are just guessing.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Sep 11
1 edit

I don't have any evidence that they did such a thing. I believe nobody
knows anything about them and are just guessing.
Well not only have they sequenced the DNA of Neanders, that was three years ago.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/08/07/neanderthal-dna.html

Of course you are free to believe in whatever delusion you wish to, it will not change the results of anything.

Your second sentence could be said for all religions just as well.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Sep 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
Well not only have they sequenced the DNA of Neanders, that was three years ago.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/08/07/neanderthal-dna.html

Of course you are free to believe in whatever delusion you wish to, it will not change the results of anything.

Your second sentence could be said for all religions just as well.
Did you read this in the referenced link:

After studying the newly completed genome, Green, a researcher at the Max-Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Germany, and his team first concluded that the Neanderthal mitochondria falls outside the range of variation found in humans today, offering no evidence that interbreeding occurred between them and us.

The researchers are quick to add that such interbreeding could still have happened and that the Neanderthals' "exact relationship with modern humans remains a topic of debate."

So it appears that it is still a bunch of guess work in what is known about
the Neanderthals.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
05 Sep 11

Originally posted by Suzianne
Come on, man! When are you going to stop making Christians look like idiots?
Don't worry Suzianne, I can't believe anybody is going to form an opinion of christianity based on the inimitable Mr Hinds!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Sep 11

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
That 230kya figure is based on finds from Pontnewydd Cave in North Wales. A lot of stone tools were found, and a few teeth. These teeth are have characteristics which are generally considered to be indicative of neanderthal lineage.

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/rhagor/article/1968/

It's not really possible to say when the first 'neanderthals ...[text shortened]... probably those from Ehringsdorf, which are pretty soundly dated to a little more than 200kya.
The following is taken from your reference link:

Questions remain as to whether these humans were originally buried in graves within the cave. The cave has since been washed through by the melt water from the retreating ice sheets at the end of the last Ice Age. Unfortunately the forces that have remarkably led to the preservation of these teeth deep within Pontnewydd Cave destroyed any traces of their original burial context.

I think the so-called melt water from ice sheets is actually water from the
flood of Noah's day.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Sep 11

Don't worry Suzianne, I can't believe anybody is going to form an opinion of christianity based on the inimitable Mr Hinds!
That's right. They know by now that I don't represent all Christians
or even the average Christian. So you have nothing to worry about.
Just let me spout all the nonsense I want and they will just write me
off as a lunatic.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
05 Sep 11
1 edit

The following is taken from your reference link:

Questions remain as to whether these humans were originally buried in graves within the cave. The cave has since been washed through by the melt water from the retreating ice sheets at the end of the last Ice Age. Unfortunately the forces that have remarkably led to the preservation of these teeth deep with ...[text shortened]... think the so-called melt water from ice sheets is actually water from the
flood of Noah's day.
Well, you are certainly entitled to your views. I might point out that the dating of the various strata within the cave system preclude the possibility that they were laid down during the Holocene epoch (ie. within the last 10,000 years), but I suppose you would simply reject the various techniques used to arrive at that conclusion anyway.

Do you not find it problematic that there is no geological evidence whatsoever to support a global flood? Do you simply reject the science of geology in the same casual manner with which you approach archaeology?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Sep 11

Well, you are certainly entitled to your views. I might point out that the dating of the various strata within the cave system preclude the possibility that they were laid down during the Holocene epoch (ie. within the last 10,000 years), but I suppose you would simply reject the various techniques used to arrive at that conclusion anyway.

Do you ...[text shortened]... ply reject the science of geology in the same casual manner with which you approach archaeology?
No. No.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
05 Sep 11

No. No.
Your clarity is refreshing in it's absence.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
05 Sep 11
1 edit

oh, i don't know. i think mr. hind's satirical portrayal of christianity hits on accurate notes. although not the finest satirist out there, he's good enough for a chess forum.

rc

Moves
05 Sep 11
1 edit

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
oh, i don't know. i think mr. hind's satirical portrayal of christianity hits on accurate notes. although not the finest satirist out there, he's good enough for a chess forum.
yes indeed, i am going to challenge him to a game! why not? because he is only accepting players with a rating above 1800, how unchristian!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Sep 11

Did you read this in the referenced link:

After studying the newly completed genome, Green, a researcher at the Max-Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Germany, and his team first concluded that the Neanderthal mitochondria falls outside the range of variation found in humans today, offering no evidence that interbreeding occurred between th ...[text shortened]... o it appears that it is still a bunch of guess work in what is known about
the Neanderthals.
So you figure competing scientists who disagree makes the whole edifice = to guesswork.

You should really make a study of the scientific method before you make such sweeping judgments.

You only make such sweeping statements because to accept any of that data would go against your religious dogma. If such scientific debate were going on in any other field it would be (if you even found the links) totally a valid debate and you would have no problem with any of it, just scientists doing their jobs, say in mathematics or semiconductor research. It hits on genetics and evolution and all of a sudden you are a critic seeing what nobody else does.

Give it up. Nobody here has any respect for your opinions, you are just full of delusions engendered by your religious dogma.

rc

Moves
05 Sep 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
So you figure competing scientists who disagree makes the whole edifice = to guesswork.

You should really make a study of the scientific method before you make such sweeping judgments.

You only make such sweeping statements because to accept any of that data would go against your religious dogma. If such scientific debate were going on in any other ...[text shortened]... ny respect for your opinions, you are just full of delusions engendered by your religious dogma.
I do, even though i dont agree with them.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Sep 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yes indeed, i am going to challenge him to a game! why not? because he is only accepting players with a rating above 1800, how unchristian!
I just lowered my rating requirement to 1600 just for you. Isn't
that Christian?