music

music

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 May 10

Is there anyone at all (in the whole world) , that doesn't like some form of music?
Could music possibly be the only thing that 100% of people appreciate?

Cape Town

Moves
26 May 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Is there anyone at all (in the whole world) , that doesn't like some form of music?
What about beauty? Love?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 May 10
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
What about beauty? Love?
Yes,yes...however I would contend that some people wouldn't admit to appreciating Love and beauty unreservedly, because some might contend that beauty and Love always has their opposites,("ugliness" and hate), whereas music has no opposites-it is free to be enjoyed by anyone with no apparent drawbacks-unlike love and beauty. (perhaps silence could be considered an opposite to music but there is no such thing as true silence-even in the vacuum of space).
I realize that this is not a proper refutation of your arguement but can you see what I'm trying to assert here?
Music (like "Love" ) is a very mysterious yet indisputeably a tangible concept.
I say it is mysterious because, other than personal testament, there is actually no scientific way to prove either. Yet both exist . (surely you wouldn't challenge that)
Anyway , I look forward to yours (or anyone elses), response, as I am trying find a way to work through this issue. An issue, that so far I can find no arguement against.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
26 May 10

Yes,yes...however I would contend that some people wouldn't admit to appreciating Love and beauty unreservedly, because some might contend that beauty and Love always has their opposites,("ugliness" and hate), whereas music has no opposites-it is free to be enjoyed by anyone with no apparent drawbacks-unlike love and beauty. (perhaps silence could be co ...[text shortened]... a way to work through this issue. An issue, that so far I can find no arguement against.
There is pure Silence, otherwise there would be no Logos
😵

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 May 10

Originally posted by black beetle
😵
Ok. but not in an observer universe. (my arguement here is transitory and will hopefully be redundant in the future)

Cape Town

Moves
26 May 10

whereas music has no opposites ....
Annoying noises? Finger nails on the black board?
Most of us don't even like all music. Besides, the existence of an opposite has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not all people like something.
I think all people appreciate beauty and love in some way, shape or form.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
26 May 10

Ok. but not in an observer universe. (my arguement here is transitory and will hopefully be redundant in the future)
Of course in the observer universe, in its dharmakaya level😵

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 May 10

In the book 'So, You Think You're Human?' I read about a tribe that had done away with all culture, music included, barring the production of purely functional grass mats. It seems the tribe underwent some catastrophe and all fun was abandoned in this time of 'great sadness'.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 May 10

Most of us don't even like all music. Besides, the existence of an opposite has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not all people like something.
"Most of us dont like all music". That was not my contention.
what I was trying to get at was that everyone likes music.
I believe there is a spiritual connection with music.
And , as I inferred before, could music be the ONLY thing that all people have in common?
Also, like "love" , music cant be explained scientifically adequately. There is a mystery there. Whenever one tries to explain it in terms of rythym or melody(for example), there is no set formula that covers all music. It is an enigma, and a link to the divine for which there is no explanation.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 May 10

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
In the book 'So, You Think You're Human?' I read about a tribe that had done away with all culture, music included, barring the production of purely functional grass mats. It seems the tribe underwent some catastrophe and all fun was abandoned in this time of 'great sadness'.
If I read you correctly there was a "great sadness" in this tribe because of no music (and maybe other things).
To me music is the great "mind clearer". It has the capacity to make one forget about their worldly problems.

If you listen long and patiently enough, one may even break through to the other side, where nothing tangible exists. I believe that that is because of the eternal nature of music.
To be able to create something that does this is to truly make something which heals the world

Cape Town

Moves
26 May 10
1 edit

And , as I inferred before, could music be the ONLY thing that all people have in common?
You are yet to rule out beauty or love.

Also, like "love" , music cant be explained scientifically adequately.
I find the explanations for both, perfectly adequate.

There is a mystery there.
Not really, no.

Whenever one tries to explain it in terms of rythym or melody(for example), there is no set formula that covers all music.
That does not mean it can't be explained.

It is an enigma, and a link to the divine for which there is no explanation.
There is an explanation. The fact that you don't know it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, nor does it make it 'divine' whatever you mean by that.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 May 10

The existence of no opposite means that one doesn't need to associate guilt or any other bad feelings with music.
It can be enjoyed in and of itself. And the Enjoyment is within. It is something which cannot be taken away.
It is Mans creation as a stepping stone to return to his /her origonal nature.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
26 May 10

Originally posted by black beetle
😵
In zen, the loudest sound is silence

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 May 10

You are yet to rule out beauty or love.

[b]Also, like "love" , music cant be explained scientifically adequately.

I find the explanations for both, perfectly adequate.

There is a mystery there.
Not really, no.

Whenever one tries to explain it in terms of rythym or melody(for example), there is no set formula that covers all music. ...[text shortened]... , doesn't mean it doesn't exist, nor does it make it 'divine' whatever you mean by that.
I disagree.
Please provide me a link or some reading material which explains music in purely physical terms.
I am happy to stand corrected if an explanation exists.

I did not rule out love or beauty, merely pointed out that such notions have their drawbacks whereas as music does not

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 May 10

If I read you correctly there was a "great sadness" in this tribe because of no music (and maybe other things).
To me music is the great "mind clearer". It has the capacity to make one forget about their worldly problems.

If you listen long and patiently enough, one may even break through to the other side, where nothing tangible exists. I believe ...[text shortened]... be able to create something that does this is to truly make something which heals the world
No, the great sadness caused them to set aside music and all other aesthetic activities, barring the production of strictly utilitarian grass mats.

But I agree with you and would charm the sad matmakers from their despondency with sweet soul music if I could.