1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Nov '18 21:18
    @philokalia said
    What's most interesting is that he fully knew the dangers that were going on. Indeed, he had been shot at with arrows and chased out before; he had had his canoe destroyed and swam back to the boat (apparently a very athletic fellow), yet he persisted.

He even had strategies for engaging them.

He apparently fantasized about going to the North Sentinelese for ...[text shortened]... r of invasion or erasure, but still, in this circumstance, that society is backwards and wrong, IMO.
    Perhaps the Islanders were trying to convert him?
    Maybe its their belief he will be reincarnated as one of them.

Or maybe, and this is a bit crazy, they thought a messenger
    from god would die for their sins and be resurrected.
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 08:27
    @wolfgang59 said
    Perhaps the Islanders were trying to convert him?
    Maybe its their belief he will be reincarnated as one of them.

Or maybe, and this is a bit crazy, they thought a messenger
    from god would die for their sins and be resurrected.
    Haha,

of course, it is far more likely that they simply viewed him as an outsider and a potential threat. Or maybe even they just relish this sort of violence.

Who knows.

Something tells me they will not be doing interviews.
  3. Joined
    09 Jun '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 10:39
    I am surprised by the lack of sympathy he gets in the posts, not to say simply insults.
    He was doing what he thought he should do, he harmed nobody, he has been killed.
    Anybody sympathizes with the killers? cheers
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 10:59
    @joven-capablanca said
    I am surprised by the lack of sympathy he gets in the posts, not to say simply insults.
    He was doing what he thought he should do, he harmed nobody, he has been killed.
    He was an idiot and evolution selected him for extinction.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 11:02
    @joven-capablanca said
    Wise man say, 'climb into cage of lion, don't blame lion when eaten.'
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 11:45
    @joven-capablanca said
    Despite the fact he was both deceitful and disrespectful, my thoughts go out to his family and those who knew him. What a brutal way to die.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 11:47
    @fmf said
    Despite the fact he was both deceitful and disrespectful, my thoughts go out to his family and those who knew him. What a brutal way to die.
    Yes this too!

I’m not sure if he was married, hope not. Kids, even more hope not.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 11:552 edits
    @joven-capablanca said
    For some reason I find myself having more sympathy with Arabic girls leaving the UK and sneaking off to support ISIS, and then getting repeatedly gang raped and enslaved. These things happen because of a deluded warped adherence to a religion. People need to engage their brains before embarking on missionary work which they tell themselves God has especially called them out to do.

This guy wasn’t trying to support “his people” who were being oppressed or at war or whatever, he was trying to interfere in a colony of people who were minding their own business, who were legally protected from intruders for scientific as well as the obvious social reasons. He was being grotesquely selfish in my opinion; endangering these people to satiate his need to feel spiritually unique.

Yes is is sad of course, but I’m afraid I struggle to have any sympathy except, as FMF interjected, with his poor family.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree