1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Aug '17 18:30
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Where did I say I knew what God should do? I asked why He doesn't adhere to His own moral code (not mine) and behave as He tells us to behave? And why are you okay that He doesn't?
    Didn't you talk about how God should do things?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '17 18:46
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    "God should follow the moral standards that apply to Him " is tautologically true."

"Frost:...Would you say that there are certain situations - and the Huston Plan was one of them - where the president can decide that it's in the best interests of the nation, and do something illegal? Nixon: Well, when the president does it, that means it is not illegal."

Isn't that so for God?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Aug '17 19:151 edit
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    No.

I spoke of how God Himself says things should be done. (And asked why He doesn't do them). Why do you keep bringing me into the argument rather than simply addressing the question? (It should worry you that you replicate Eladar in this respect).
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    18 Aug '17 23:19
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Did I claim most people would like the truth?
    So you might like the consensus theory, which seems to fit the religious definition for knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth#Consensus_theory
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge#Religious_meaning_of_knowledge

I'm a pragmatist. If something doesn't work then it isn't true. Might makes right doesn't work well as a moral foundation. As you know.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 04:08
    Originally posted by @apathist
    So you might like the consensus theory, which seems to fit the religious definition for knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth#Consensus_theory
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge#Religious_meaning_of_knowledge

I'm a pragmatist. If something doesn't work then it isn't true. Might makes right doesn't work well as a moral foundation. As you know.
    As I've said in this forum before, it's not exactly a "might makes right" issue. It's more of a "right makes might" issue.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 18:10
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    As I've said in this forum before, it's not exactly a "might makes right" issue. It's more of a "right makes might" issue.
    But according to your bible, your god attacked people, and that is a clear might makes right situation. So your own god uses that method.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 19:34
    So you agree that might makes right is a lousy morality system?
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 21:30
    Originally posted by @js357
    "God should follow the moral standards that apply to Him " is tautologically true."

"Frost:...Would you say that there are certain situations - and the Huston Plan was one of them - where the president can decide that it's in the best interests of the nation, and do something illegal? Nixon: Well, when the president does it, that means it is not illegal."

Isn't that so for God?
    No
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 21:32
    No.

I spoke of how God Himself says things should be done. (And asked why He doesn't do them). Why do you keep bringing me into the argument rather than simply addressing the question? (It should worry you that you replicate Eladar in this respect).
    I'll get back to you, your on my list, my growing list of people I owe replies to.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 23:53
    Originally posted by @js357

Isn't that so for God?
    God's laws are for man, a creature filled with sin, not God, who is without sin.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 23:55
    Originally posted by @apathist
    So you agree that might makes right is a lousy morality system?
    "Might makes right" is a morality system created by man, so yes.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 00:011 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    But according to your bible, your god attacked people, and that is a clear might makes right situation. So your own god uses that method.
    Not true.

When God attacks people, it is because those people are full of sin, and God cannot abide sin. "Might makes right" is a man-made morality system which doesn't address sin and so, is therefore insufficient to describe God's system, which is against sin.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 01:48
    God's laws are for man, a creature filled with sin, not God, who is without sin.
    So what is your opinion of God instructing people to kill homosexuals?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 12:49
    The point is, God 'should' be different from us, by His very definition as the moral law giver. The argument that God can 'do what he likes' with his own creation is probably the most repugnant put forward by some Christians. - I would have no objection to the statement 'God could if He so wished' kill Mr X (in the sense that an omnipotent deity wou ...[text shortened]... izarre.

A God, worthy of worship, would instruct us to 'do as I do, not just do what I say.'
    " would have no objection to the statement 'God could if He so wished' kill Mr X (in the sense that an omnipotent deity would have the power to do so) but not with the statement that God 'is at liberty to kill Mr X while maintaining his status as the moral law giver.' The Christian position that it's okay for God to tell us not to kill, but morally at liberty to do so Himself' (not subject 'to His own' moral code) is bordering on the bizarre. "

Are you not calling into question here how God should and should not behave?
  15. Joined
    20 Aug '17
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 15:22
    In my responds ,murdering is okay when the person who commits believes it to be.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree