Meditation 101

Meditation 101

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
22 Jun 05

Anyone here meditate?

I've had a meditation practice on and off for many years. Always found it very valuable for disciplining and calming the mind.

Given that the mind is the source of all of our issues in life, it makes sense to understand how this mind works. As with anything in life, in order to understand something, we need to be able to observe it, to familiarize ourself with it.

So the practice of meditation is first and foremost about observing one's mind.

A few myths and misconceptions...

1. Meditation is zoning out -- not true, in fact meditation is concerned with the opposite of "zoning out", it's concerned with the practice of being fully present, in this moment.

2. (religious objection) Meditation is opening your mind to "evil influences" -- balderdash. Anyway, meditation does not so much "open the mind," as it deepens the capacity for self-awareness and further, for awareness into the transpersonal states. It also has beneficial effects on health, especially when used in conjunction with a physical expercise program (running, weights, etc.).

3. Meditation is too self-preoccupied -- this one I always found funny. Given that the "self" that we experience ourselves to be is the one thing we can't leave behind at home when we go out in the morning, it would seem to behoove us to familiarize ourselves with this "self". Most irresponsible behavior in life is born out of ignorance of one's own tendencies and habits -- literally, not knowing oneself. When Socrates said, "know thyself" he was referring to the antidote to the cause of suffering life, being ignorance of who one is. Buddha based his teachings on the idea that all suffering arises out of a basic ignorance of our real nature.

Knowing one's mind does not involve any sort of avoidance of the world, in fact a meditation practice works best in combination with a healthy social life, that is, engaging the world. When one is concerned only with the world and not with one's own mind, one tends to spend a lot of time projecting onto the world.

To "project" means to see things in the world -- or in others -- that are really in one's own mind. To not recognize them internally is, in essence, to not take responsibility for oneself.

So interestingly, a meditation practice designed to deepen one's understanding of their own mind can actually make one less self-absorbed by making one more responsible for one's actions and interactions with the world.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
22 Jun 05

I do Transcendental Meditation.

M

Moves
22 Jun 05

Originally posted by buckky
I do Transcendental Meditation.
Now don't get all wordy on me. Kidding.

What benefits have you gotten from it?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
22 Jun 05

Originally posted by Metamorphosis

Transcendental ones , I'll bet

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
22 Jun 05

Well it has made me much calmer. My blood pressure has gone down. Colors seem to be brighter. It has also made me somewhat ultra sensitve to things. That can be a problem, but I'm hoping for that to pass. It's only been thirty years, and maybe I'm pushing my progress.

M

Moves
22 Jun 05
2 edits

Originally posted by frogstomp
Transcendental ones , I'll bet
Ever heard of a transcendental pitchfork meditation?

It's a variant of the yogic "shirshasan" -- standing on one's head, followed by lying down on a bed of nails, followed by eating extremely spicy/hot southern Indian food.

After this training, one is immune to any fears of going to hell, lol. 😲

M

Moves
22 Jun 05

Originally posted by buckky
Well it has made me much calmer. My blood pressure has gone down. Colors seem to be brighter. It has also made me somewhat ultra sensitve to things. That can be a problem, but I'm hoping for that to pass. It's only been thirty years, and maybe I'm pushing my progress.
Interesting. Have you ever tried any other methods, like Vipassana or Zen koans?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
22 Jun 05
1 edit

Ever heard of a transcendental pitchfork meditation?

It's a variant of the yogic "shirshasan" -- standing on one's head, followed by lying down on a bed of nails, followed by eating extremely spicy/hot southern Indian food.
...[text shortened]... his training, one is immune to any fears of going to hell, lol. 😲
In hell there is such a thing as quick acting laxatives and enough heat to reach the combustion point of hydro-carbons.

and that to the image you drew and you will certainly want to Be Good!

edit
"shirshasan" is almost the way it's spelled in hell

M

Moves
22 Jun 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
In hell there is such a thing as quick acting laxatives and enough heat to reach the combustion point of hydro-carbons.

and that to the image you drew and you will certainly want to Be Good!

edit
"shirshasan" is almost the way it's spelled in hell
Well actually, the symbol in Vedic Hinduism used for spiritual enlightenment attained via meditation practice is often that of Shiva -- a horned guy with a trident-pitchfork. No kidding.

Shiva represents stability, centeredness. Shakti, his counterpart, represents the "divine wind" -- not the divine breaking wind, I should hasten to clarify... 😕

In the south of India is a holy mountain called "Arunachala", where the great sage Ramana Maharshi spent his whole life teaching. The mountain is considered an emanation of Shiva. Ramana was considered by many to have been India greatest sage of the 20th century...

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
23 Jun 05

Well actually, the symbol in Vedic Hinduism used for spiritual enlightenment attained via meditation practice is often that of Shiva -- a horned guy with a trident-pitchfork. No kidding.

Shiva represents stability, centeredness. Shakti, his counterpart, represents the "divine wind" -- not the divine breaking wind, I should hasten to clarify ...[text shortened]... of Shiva. Ramana was considered by many to have been India greatest sage of the 20th century...
See I knew there was a cosmic reason I pick my avatar for rhp,,, I just knew it!!!!!!!!!!

l

London

Moves
23 Jun 05

Um ... Shiva is not horned.

M

Moves
23 Jun 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Um ... Shiva is not horned.
Yes, in some versions he is, especially in the Harappan Seal, "Lord of the Animals" form....

http://www.tantraworks.com/Ancient_Tantra.html

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
23 Jun 05

Yes, in some versions he is, especially in the Harappan Seal, "Lord of the Animals" form....

wanna borrow a pitchfork to poke him with?

l

London

Moves
23 Jun 05

A few myths and misconceptions...

1. Meditation is zoning out -- not true, in fact meditation is concerned with the opposite of "zoning out", it's concerned with the practice of being fully present, in this moment.

2. (religious objection) Meditation is opening your mind to "evil influences" -- balderdash. Anyway, meditation does not so much ...[text shortened]... s teachings on the idea that all suffering arises out of a basic ignorance of our real nature.
You forget one:

4. (Revenge of the Sith objection) - Focusing one's attention inwards is the path to the Dark Side ...

l

London

Moves
23 Jun 05

Hey, that's cheating! The Harappans probably didn't even call him Shiva - he might be one of the influences/sources on the Aryan Shiva, though.