Materliasm and the cult of self

Materliasm and the cult of self

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Jul 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
thanks for the thumbs down, its always good to get a reaction!
Yeah..and just think of the one's that didn't even bother to thumb you down 🙂

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Jul 13

Originally posted by divegeester
I'm sorry I thought you were inviting reasoned debate, which I think my post is. If I had realised you were just waving another half-assed self-certified opinon about in order to attract attention to yourself I would have kept quiet.
Dont worry dude, you're not alone. He's done it to everyone else as well (me,jaywill,proper knob)

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Jul 13

Originally posted by Proper Knob
This is the biggest load of straw heaped upon more straw I've ever read. My brother, as I've mentioned before is a drunk and drugs counsellor; he's a recovered alcoholic, he is also an atheist and as you would term a 'rampant materialist'. The premise of his job is to find the root cause of people's addiction.

You live in this strange black and white ...[text shortened]... . Yet again, you can't seem to see past your presumptuous card board cut out stereotypes.
You beat me to it!

I concur that Robbie's looking at things so "black and white" obscures his views about the world and ultimately reduces his "clout" when it comes to getting his view across. And, after all, JW's work on the basis that they have to teach the bible to everyone who is willing and their primary method is the direct one ,(coming straight up to your house!! ), so I would have thought that having "clout" would be important to Robbie.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Jul 13

many persons have been helped to overcome all manner of addictions by the application of Biblical principles and i do not respect your assertions of stereotyping, in fact i have avoided making broad generalisations in this thread at very turn.
Imo the use of biblical principles in AA have been detrimental to the overall success of that program. I reckon AA would get more people off alcohol if it dropped the 'holier-than thou' attitude towards members and just got down on the same level, with realisitc expectations of the members. AA has a terrible record despite attracting many members worldwide.

While I agree that many have been helped with the aid if biblical principles, it could be argued strongly that even more could have been saved by simply reflecting on human principles.
While you may think that the bible has some magical power to help alcoholics, the reality is that alcoholics end up helping themselves. It is up to each and everyone of us to help ourselves.
When people hit rock bottom - and realize it - they are then ready to really change their lives. Just because they latch onto the bible does not mean that the bible has any power. Like I say, simply appealing to one's better judgment and a reflection on basic human values will suffice. The biblical add-ons actually hamper the potential for positive change.

I'm not surprised that "organizations" such as the JW's are made up of former alcoholics, drug-addicts and all manner of former "low-lifes" , who have hit rock-bottom and have latched onto to first positive seeming people that they see. Ahhh, the JW's are there waiting with open arms.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Jul 13

So I got through the rest of the thread and now I feel better that it was not just me that you were jerking around - it was everyone else as well. You have systematically eluded being drawn into any areas that you do not feel comfortable .
I really dont know why you bother to start a thread if you are just going to dismiss every posters comments/questions. This is becoming a bit of a habit for you ...

L

Moves
12 Jul 13
1 edit

many persons have been helped to overcome all manner of addictions by the application of Biblical principles and i do not respect your assertions of stereotyping, in fact i have avoided making broad generalisations in this thread at very turn.
in fact i have avoided making broad generalisations in this thread at very turn.

In this thread you have made weightlifter generalizations, materialist generalizations, scientist generalizations. Why stop there; why not broads too?

😵😵

Moves
12 Jul 13
1 edit

what has a Chaplin and a room set aside for prayer/mediation got to do with spirituality? nada! you are unlikely to get any spiritual guidance from a Chaplin, i know, i have tried and about as much from an empty room, let us take two Biblical principles and let us see if it has practical application, in the real world,

(Proverbs 17:22) A heart ...[text shortened]... protection against things like heart disease and stroke.”

Is it not so? Is it not practical?
"what has a Chaplin and a room set aside for prayer/mediation got to do with spirituality? nada!" robbie.

i dont think i can respect that dude.

rc

Moves
12 Jul 13
2 edits

Originally posted by stellspalfie
[b]"what has a Chaplin and a room set aside for prayer/mediation got to do with spirituality? nada!" robbie.

i dont think i can respect that dude.[/b]
dude, please, you gotta believe in me! will you give comment on the superlative Biblical principles, the efficacy of which, modern science is now only coming to terms with?

Moves
12 Jul 13

dude, please, you gotta believe in me! will you give comment on the superlative Biblical principles, the efficacy of which, modern science is now only coming to terms with?
in a previous post you said anger causes ill health and happiness is good for health. something which i agree with. do you believe anger and happiness are created spiritually or are happiness and anger created physically (chemically) and then have an effect on the spirit?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
12 Jul 13

no i dont think so and therefore i cannot respect your assertion, sorry dude, no disrespect to you personally, but i need to believe in you.
Of course you don't think so, that would mean admitting you're wrong, and we know you're incapable of that.

rc

Moves
12 Jul 13

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Of course you don't think so, that would mean admitting you're wrong, and we know you're incapable of that.
Hard to respect that dude.

rc

Moves
12 Jul 13
2 edits

in a previous post you said anger causes ill health and happiness is good for health. something which i agree with. do you believe anger and happiness are created spiritually or are happiness and anger created physically (chemically) and then have an effect on the spirit?
when you acknowledge the Bibles superlative wisdom then we can talk, as for spirituality and any correlation with happiness, please consider the words of Christ,

(Matthew 5:3) Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.

these words are deeply profound, can you discern their meaning?

Moves
12 Jul 13

when you acknowledge the Bibles superlative wisdom then we can talk, as for spirituality and any correlation with happiness, please consider the words of Christ,

(Matthew 5:3) Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.

these words are deeply profound, can you discern their meaning?
im not sure but i would guess it means people who tend to their spiritual needs can be happy knowing they will go to gods kingdom/heaven/jerusalem thing. correct??

rc

Moves
12 Jul 13
1 edit

im not sure but i would guess it means people who tend to their spiritual needs can be happy knowing they will go to gods kingdom/heaven/jerusalem thing. correct??
sigh, where to begin 😛

btw are you going along to Durham to see The Lindisfarne Gospels?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 13

'indwelling',' life giving spirit', are extremely ambiguous terms which the unscrupulous

They are "ambiguous" to you because you have no experience of regeneration and are stubburn in unbelief.

To him who has not even what he has will be taken from him.

like to utilise to perpetuate their religious bias. God has promised an earthly paradise,

You see? You are hung up on only the material aspect of God's promises. These you should have believed and not rejected the deeper truths of Christ coming to a person to make an abode with them as in John 14.

The cult of materialism infests your perversion of the New Testament.
This is why you place MORE emphasis on the Old Testament.
Earthly and material blessings your natural mind understands.

Lacking experience in receiving Christ as the life giving Spirit makes large portions of the New Testament "ambiguous".

The natural mind receives not the things of the Spirit of God.

are you now saying that he will not fulfil his promise,

Of course not.

You fail to grasp how the Spirit of life works from the inside OUT.