Luck

Luck

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
31 Oct 05

I've asked variations of this question before, and have been ignored. Now you have the entire thread to ignore.

I've often observed xtians utter statements like, "Luckily my girlfriend told me about Jesus, and now I'm saved." When they bring out "luck" in this manner, are they professing a theology (Luck was a god in some ancient pantheons) that is inherently hostile to the core of their professed beliefs?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Oct 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
I've asked variations of this question before, and have been ignored. Now you have the entire thread to ignore.

I've often observed xtians utter statements like, "Luckily my girlfriend told me about Jesus, and now I'm saved." When they bring out "luck" in this manner, are they professing a theology (Luck was a god in some ancient pantheons) that is inherently hostile to the core of their professed beliefs?
I agree with you and I find I still use that word from time to time,
when divine providence could be just as useful when we think of
something occurring with perfect timing.
Kelly

e

Moves
31 Oct 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
divine providence
A question:

Is divine providence the same as active intervention?

thank you

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
31 Oct 05

I think it's similar to when non-believers use "Oh my God" or "Heaven help us." Just part of the practical language.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
31 Oct 05

Originally posted by telerion
I think it's similar to when non-believers use "Oh my God" or "Heaven help us." Just part of the practical language.
Practical language has deeper implications, unless you believe that George Orwell was spewing feces in 1984 when he accurately predicted the language of Ronald Reagan, naming it doublespeak.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Oct 05

Originally posted by eagles54
A question:

Is divine providence the same as active intervention?

thank you
I guess I'd have to be a lot more knowledgeable than I am to give
you a correct answer to that one. In other words, I don’t know! I do
know that God says He works all things together for the good of those
that love Him and are called according to His purpose. How that plays
out in something we’d call lucky or divine providence I’m not sure.
Kelly

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
31 Oct 05

Whether one uses the term secular term "luck" or the theological term "providence" , I think what they have in common is that when used to reference something good happening it is a backward look or hindsight. To me "luck" has a more immediate connotation where "providence" has more to do with an important legacy.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
31 Oct 05

Practical language has deeper implications, unless you believe that George Orwell was spewing feces in 1984 when he accurately predicted the language of Ronald Reagan, naming it doublespeak.
Ok, well, I didn't have deeper meanings then. Just a shallow vocabulary. 🙂

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Oct 05

An aside, you think double speak started with Reagan?
Kelly

e

Moves
31 Oct 05

I have the feeling God starting the whole ball rolling, gave us wisdom and compassion as our birthright, and set us on our way to do as we may.

I don't think there is any such thing as luck or divine intervention of any sort.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Oct 05

I have the feeling God starting the whole ball rolling, gave us wisdom and compassion as our birthright, and set us on our way to do as we may.

I don't think there is any such thing as luck or divine intervention of any sort.
I guess that depends on the level of hands off you think God had
to use to "...set us on our way..." which has some deeper meaning
too.
Kelly

W
Angler

River City

Moves
31 Oct 05
1 edit

An aside, you think double speak started with Reagan?
Kelly
No. He was simply its most effective and powerful practitioner. Indeed, many of his most absurd manifestations became so influential that pinkos like Billy-boy Clinton took them as Gospel Truths. Reagan's famous Welfare Queen is a case in point. Of course, in a certain sense, the Royal family of England lives on a sort of welfare and entitlements, but Reagan was highlighting a poor black woman (and a non-existent one to boot) with his terminology.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Oct 05
1 edit

No. He was simply its most effective and powerful practitioner. Indeed, many of his most absurd manifestations became so influential that pinkos like Billy-boy Clinton took them as Gospel Truths. Reagan's famous Welfare Queen is a case in point. Of course, in a certain sense, the Royal family of England lives on a sort of welfare and entitlements, but Reagan was highlighting a poor black woman (and a non-existent one to boot) with his terminology.
I believe they all do, with intent and without. I think that you and
I may feel that our two contemporary figures of Reagan and Clinton,
are or were the best/worse at it. I do believe had we lived with each
of our forefathers, we may have to acknowledge that there were
more than a few that could give those two a run for their money,
or in reality our money as the case maybe. ROFL
Kelly

e

Moves
31 Oct 05

I guess that depends on the level of hands off you think God had
to use to "...set us on our way..." which has some deeper meaning
too.
Kelly
True, good point.

I think God is going to let us sink or swim on our own accord. All of us in one boat. No exceptions.

Just my opinion.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
31 Oct 05

I think God is going to let us sink or swim on our own accord. All of us in one boat. No exceptions.
If we're all in one boat, and must sink or swim, I'm presuming that the boat itself is sinking.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄