1. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 20:42
    Luke 9:60 - New International Version
    Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God."

An interesting phrase, 'let the dead bury their own dead'. What did Jesus mean and what implications does this have for Christians?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 21:10
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God."

An interesting phrase, 'let the dead bury their own dead'. What did Jesus mean and what implications does this have for Christians?
    No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 21:48
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
    Yes what what does it mean and what implications does this have for Christians?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 22:24
    Yes what what does it mean and what implications does this have for Christians?
    The focus of the Christian must be obedience to Christ's commandments.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 22:29

It means seek first the Kingdom of God and leave temporal matters to those focused on temporal things. It means that death, while significant for many, should not be a significant issue for Christians. It means that spiritual life is more important than physical death. It means don't get distracted from the pursuit of the Gospel. It means keep your eyes fixed on Jesus Christ the author of our faith.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 22:312 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It means seek first the Kingdom of God and leave temporal matters to those focused on temporal things. It means that death, while significant for many, should not be a significant issue for Christians. It means that spiritual life is more important than physical death. It means don't get distracted from the pursuit of the Gospel. It means keep your eyes fixed on Jesus Christ the author of our faith.
    I think it means that some people are spiritually dead. Jesus admonishment is quite clear, if you are not proclaiming the Kingdom of God you are spiritually dead. I don't see how it can be read any other way.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 22:38
    I think it means that some people are spiritually dead. Jesus admonishment is quite clear, if you are not proclaiming the Kingdom of God you are spiritually dead. I don't see how it can be read any other way.
    And by "proclaiming the Kingdom" you mean going door to door, and according to you, you lot are the only group who go to door to door, so according to you everyone else is spiritually dead.

The end. That was a good thread.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 22:42
    So you are saying that there are two groups of people in the time of Christ:
    - the disciples who were proclaiming the Kingdom of God, who were not spiritually dead
    - all the rest of the world who were spiritually dead.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 22:471 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    And by "proclaiming the Kingdom" you mean going door to door, and according to you, you lot are the only group who go to door to door, so according to you everyone else is spiritually dead.

The end. That was a good thread.
    what I have actually said and its worth noting here this attempt of yours to portray elements that have not been explicitly expressed by me is that if you are not proclaiming the Kingdom of God you are spiritually dead. If what you have stated is what 'proclaiming the Kingdom of God', means to you then so be it, but I have not said it and I resent your attempt to misconstrue what I actually have stated.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 22:481 edit
    So you are saying that there are two groups of people in the time of Christ:
    - the disciples who were proclaiming the Kingdom of God, who were not spiritually dead
    - all the rest of the world who were spiritually dead.
    Well how else are we supposed to understand Chirst words? here is another translation of the text.

New Living Translation
    But Jesus told him, "Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God."
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 22:54
    Well how else are we supposed to understand Chirst words?
    Since the idea of all the other people apart from Christ 70 [or however many there were] disciples being spiritually dead sounds far fetched [even ridiculous], then I would have to assume that Christ knew something of the family of the disciple that wanted to bury his father... they were probably spiritually dead.

John the Baptist at the time was going around baptising by the many thousands, Christ also had many many who were following him and obeying his teachings. All these people could not possibly be spiritually dead.

There are many attributes of the spiritually alive person, preaching the kingdom of God is not the only one.

Would you say that Mary the mother of Jesus was also spiritually dead?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 22:59
    Since the idea of all the other people apart from Christ 70 [or however many there were] disciples being spiritually dead sounds far fetched [even ridiculous], then I would have to assume that Christ knew something of the family of the disciple that wanted to bury his father... they were probably spiritually dead.

John the Baptist at the time was going a ...[text shortened]... is not the only one.

Would you say that Mary the mother of Jesus was also spiritually dead?
    How do you know that Mary did not proclaim the Kingdom of God after Christ had died and been raised? Clearly Jesus thinks that there is a symbiotic relationship between proclaiming the Kingdom of God and being spiritually alive otherwise his words make no sense.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Nov '15 23:53
    How do you know that Mary did not proclaim the Kingdom of God after Christ had died and been raised? Clearly Jesus thinks that there is a symbiotic relationship between proclaiming the Kingdom of God and being spiritually alive otherwise his words make no sense.
    All believers would proclaim the Kingdom of God to some degree but the charge of the 70 disciples were to go out and preach. The instructions are clear. Here they are:

After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come. Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest. Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves. Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way. And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house. And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again. And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house. And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you: And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you. But into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you not, go your ways out into the streets of the same, and say, Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you. But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city. (Luke 10:1-12 KJV)

These are the instructions to 70 disciples on a mission to preach to the house of Isreal... a specific group on a specific mission. These are not instructions for all disciples of all of eternity.

Preaching the Kingdom of God is one aspect of a discples life, certainly not the whole story.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    06 Nov '15 01:12
    Zombies have always been a problem and they're difficult to bury if you don't want to be bitten. I think that's the true meaning.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '15 01:19
    All believers would proclaim the Kingdom of God to some degree but the charge of the 70 disciples were to go out and preach. The instructions are clear. Here they are:

[i]After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come. Therefore said he unto them, ...[text shortened]...

Preaching the Kingdom of God is one aspect of a discples life, certainly not the whole story.
    On the contrary Jesus clearly states that the Kingdom message would be proclaimed worldwide,

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

Its not [possible to think that Jesus intended only seventy persons to proclaim Gods Kingdom. The verse above clearly demonstrates that he considered it to be a global undertaking. Further to that he states that it would continue right up until the end of the age, or the conclusion of the system. So i reject the idea that proclaiming Gods Kingdom was only limited to seventy disciples. It was to be a worldwide work with Jesus backing it until the system ends and I repeat my original premise that unless you are proclaiming Gods Kingdom you are spiritually dead.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree