Knowledge and Knowledge

Knowledge and Knowledge

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
If no one is excluded, how is the final conclusion decided, i.e., what is the factor which determines a person has arrived at the intended (?) state?
You'll know Nirvana if you reach it.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
If no one is excluded, how is the final conclusion decided, i.e., what is the factor which determines a person has arrived at the intended (?) state?
There isn't any, at least not in the sense of crossing a finish line and winning a trophy handed to you by some official.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
You'll know Nirvana if you reach it.
Is this another variation of the "Magic Decoder Ring (MDR, TM)"?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Don't be an idiot.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 05

Don't be an idiot.
...and this of the renowned last-ditch defense?

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
13 Dec 05

That remains to be seen, but I doubt it since magic rings and all externals are to be left behind.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 05
1 edit

...and this of the renowned last-ditch defense?
You have to try it for yourself. I'm sure you've read at least one thread on Buddhism in the last few months. Is your memory a sieve?

--Excuse the rancour, but you ought to know that paradox is central to Buddhist thought. It is not a question of decoder rings but practice.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 05
1 edit

You have to try it for yourself. I'm sure you've read at least one thread on Buddhism in the last few months. Is your memory a sieve?
Is your memory a sieve?

Keeping in mind my self-proclaimed title - is this a trick question?

You have to try it for yourself.

I have no problem with this - but what is the difference between some of the fundies (TM) on the site claiming the need to be spirit-filled to understand the Bible, and you claiming the need to "Buddhism-filled" to understand Nirvana?

--Excuse the rancour, but you ought to know that paradox is central to Buddhist thought. It is not a question of decoder rings but practice.

Sure - practice being the MDR, TM.

P.S. No offence, I just enjoy drawing parallels - a risky business I'm sure.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
13 Dec 05

If one approaches a study with a closed mind or heart, the study will disappoint.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 05

I have no problem with this - but what is the difference between some of the fundies (TM) on the site claiming the need to be spirit-filled to understand the Bible, and you claiming the need to "Buddhism-filled" to understand Nirvana?
The difference is that with Nirvana, there's nothing to understand.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
13 Dec 05

hOriginally posted by Halitose
[b]Is your memory a sieve?

Keeping in mind my self-proclaimed title - is this a trick question?

You have to try it for yourself.

I have no problem with this - but what is the difference between some of the fundies (TM) on the site claiming the need to be spirit-filled to understand the Bible, and you claiming the need to "Buddhism-filled" to understand Nirvana?[/b]
Who said "Buddhism-filled"?

Rather: "If you meet the Budda on the road, kill him."

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
13 Dec 05

The difference is that with Nirvana, there's nothing to understand.
Right.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
13 Dec 05

Right.
I'm glad you understand. Now take off your shoes.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Dec 05

The "Christians" here want everything tied up in a neat little package with a big bow and a label saying "Just for You and the Other 1% of the Special People". Plus they want to pretend that only they can understand what is in the package, even though it's transparent for all to see.

Other spiritual belief systems acknowledge that there may be things that Man, at least in his present state, cannot understand though perhaps in other stages of being you will be able to understand them . That is entirely different and far more rational than a belief that you personally have special, secret knowledge because of intervention by an invisible entity that 99% of the world doesn't experience. The first is a recognization of Man's limited nature, the second is hubris and arrogance.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
13 Dec 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
The "Christians" here want everything tied up in a neat little package with a big bow and a label saying "Just for You and the Other 1% of the Special People".
Well, it is nearly Christmas.