Justice and Hell

Justice and Hell

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 Mar 06

Originally posted by DragonFriend
If we are to draw our own conclusions in a vaccuum, I'd agree. But God has interacted with us. That's the whole purpose of our creation. And through this relationship with Him we can come to know Him. No guessing required.

DF
Well, you choose to believe the bible's claims, but even if God himself spoke to you, you could not assume he was telling the truth. It would be trivial for God to deceive you, if he wished.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
04 Mar 06
1 edit

I know there's been plenty of discussion already, but I want to return to the original post.

It assumes - or at least it seems to me that it does - that the PURPOSE of hell is punishment.

I'm not persuaded that's correct. Certainly CS Lewis didn't seem to think so. I'm reading "The Great Divorce" at the moment and, while it's certainly not his best writing as a fictional narrative, it's theology on this topic is pretty clear. People are in hell because they've 'chosen' to be there.

But a better characterisation of the choice is: to not let go of the things that are keeping them from heaven.

Now, the hell he describes is not a place of fire and brimstone and devils stretching people on racks. It's a grey miserable place where people bicker and do their best to isolate themselves from each other. But, I think there's room in his theology for an explanation for 'punishment' in hell that would run like this:

- devils live in hell because they can't live in heaven
- there are people in hell too
- devils enjoy torturing people (presumably it helps relieve their own misery a little)
- there are plenty of people available at home for them to torture, so why not do it?

Punishment then becomes an outcome, rather than the intentional purpose, of being in hell.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
04 Mar 06

Originally posted by orfeo

Punishment then becomes an outcome, rather than the intentional purpose, of being in hell.
Except that once again God being the omniscient, omnipotent Creator makes "outcome" equivalent to "intentional purpose."

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
04 Mar 06

Originally posted by telerion
Except that once again God being the omniscient, omnipotent Creator makes "outcome" equivalent to "intentional purpose."
One of your earlier posts interested me. Are you also saying that God intends that if you jump of a cliff, you'll fall?

Or is that simply a consequence?

D

Moves
04 Mar 06

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Well, you choose to believe the bible's claims, but even if God himself spoke to you, you could not assume he was telling the truth. It would be trivial for God to deceive you, if he wished.
He is soooo much greater than I, that yes, I suppose He could lie to me and I would never be able to tell the difference. But that's not who He is. God is all about truth, so to lie would be contrary to His nature.

DF

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 Mar 06

Originally posted by DragonFriend
He is soooo much greater than I, that yes, I suppose He could lie to me and I would never be able to tell the difference. But that's not who He is. God is all about truth, so to lie would be contrary to His nature.

DF
How do you know that's not who he is?

Moves
04 Mar 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
So, if I dont believe in God then if am covered in sin and therefore belong to Satan! I thought I was made by God how come I now belong to Satan? What happened to free will?

[b]Satan was an angel created by God, but rebelled against God. He is thus a fallen angel. His time of eternal damnation is coming, when he and all his followers will be cast into ...[text shortened]... lake of fire.

Why the fire? For what purpose other than those listed in my origional post?[/b]
So, if I dont believe in God then if am covered in sin and therefore belong to Satan! I thought I was made by God how come I now belong to Satan? What happened to free will?

Everybody is born in sin, and he that sins belongs to Satan.

So you do believe in a hell which includes fire. Is this punishment and what is the purpose of punishing Satan and his followers?

The unwritten law exists that everything you do has consequences.

Turning your back on God has severe consequences.

Why the fire? For what purpose other than those listed in my origional post?

Justice.

Moves
04 Mar 06

If a flawless being does not have free-will, then a flawless God does not have free-will, and your entire belief system crumbles to the ground.
Thanks for the correction. I was rather vague.

I would rather say that a "flawless" human being would not have the full capacity of free-will, as it would not be able to choose what is detrimental to itself.

But God and man do not have the same capacities. If man was flawless (and had the full capacity of free-will), then man would be equal to God.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 Mar 06

Originally posted by dj2becker
Thanks for the correction. I was rather vague.

I would rather say that a "flawless" human being would not have the full capacity of free-will, as it would not be able to choose what is detrimental to itself.

But God and man do not have the same capacities. If man was flawless (and had the full capacity of free-will), then man would be equal to God.
You believe that believers who end up in heaven will no longer sin, correct? If so, what has happened to these humans? Have they lost the capacity for free will?

Moves
05 Mar 06
1 edit

You believe that believers who end up in heaven will no longer sin, correct? If so, what has happened to these humans? Have they lost the capacity for free will?
Actually I believe that those who have been cleansed, purified and sanctified from their sin will go to Heaven. (They that have washed their robes in the blood of the lamb.) They are the ones who resist temptation and do not wish to sin as they know that sin seperates them from God.

Once they go to Heaven, there will be no more temptations (due to the fact the Satan and his demons will be cast into hell on the day of judgement) and that would be the reason why they would not sin. In a sense, they will all receive a new body which is perfect. I believe this body will not have the capacity to sin, and in that sense, yes, the free-will will not be totally the same as it was on earth. However, those that will be in Heaven are the ones that hate sin in the first place, and they would have chosen not to sin.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
05 Mar 06
1 edit

Actually I believe that those who have been cleansed, purified and sanctified from their sin will go to Heaven. (They that have washed their robes in the blood of the lamb.) They are the ones who resist temptation and do not wish to sin as they know that sin seperates them from God.

Once they go to Heaven, there will be no more temptations (due to the f ...[text shortened]... in Heaven are the ones that hate sin in the first place, and they would have chosen not to sin.
Wouldn't it have been much easier for God to just start with the 'new-body' humans? You know, just skip the whole creation-earth-man from dust thing. There would have been so much less suffering that way.

The end result shows what God really wants: perfect robots who will live only to worship him.

If there are no temptations in heaven, what motivated Lucifer's rebellion?

D

Moves
05 Mar 06

How do you [b]know that's not who he is?[/b]
I know who God is because we have scripture that tells us who God is and I have personal experience with God that agrees with those descriptions.

DF

Moves
05 Mar 06

Wouldn't it have been much easier for God to just start with the 'new-body' humans? You know, just skip the whole creation-earth-man from dust thing. There would have been so much less suffering that way.

The end result shows what God really wants: perfect robots who will live only to worship him.

As God never makes a mistake, he had a specific purpose by allowing us to fight the spiritual battle on earth. I can only imagine that the reason for that is because God gave us the free-will to choose him, and earth is where we fight our spiritual battle and learn to overcome Satan and sin.

What would give God more joy: a person programmed like a robot to say to Him"I love you"; or a person that daily chooses to love Him by obeying Him, resisting Satan and overcoming sin?

God uses suffering to purify us and to create Godly character in us. Suffering either makes us better or bitter, depending on how we choose to react to suffering.

See above.

Lucifer was an angel. I believe angels have free-will in Heaven. Some of them chose to rebell against God with Lucifer and others chose to remain faithful to God. I believe humans and angles were created with different capacities.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
05 Mar 06

[b]Wouldn't it have been much easier for God to just start with the 'new-body' humans? You know, just skip the whole creation-earth-man from dust thing. There would have been so much less suffering that way.

As God never makes a mistake, he had a specific purpose by allowing us to fight the spiritual battle on earth. I can only imagine that the reas ...[text shortened]... emain faithful to God. I believe humans and angles were created with different capacities.[/b]
Apparently a robot gives God more joy, because that's what he ends up with in heaven for eternity.

All your suffering is for naught, because you'll be deprived of your free will once you reach heaven. People wouldn't need 'new bodies' if they could overcome sin.

I thought you said that there was no more temptation in heaven with Lucifer and his angels gone. But you also say the remaining angels have free will, so they could fall, tempt others, etc.

Moves
06 Mar 06

Apparently a robot gives God more joy, because that's what he ends up with in heaven for eternity.

All your suffering is for naught, because you'll be deprived of your free will once you reach heaven. People wouldn't need 'new bodies' if they could overcome sin.

I thought you said that there was no more temptation in heaven with Lucifer and his ...[text shortened]... ut you also say the remaining angels have free will, so they could fall, tempt others, etc.

Me thinks it gives God as much joy to see his creation choose Him by their own free on earth.

Personally, I don't think the suffering would be invane. Why else would Heaven be so wonderful? Me thinks Heaven will be so wonderful because there will be no more suffering.

The new bodies would be eternal and last forever.

I thought you said that there was no more temptation in heaven with Lucifer and his angels gone. But you also say the remaining angels have free will, so they could fall, tempt others, etc.

Why would they fall once they saw what God did to Lucifer. Me thinks they would not exchange Heaven for Hell.