Jews and the Garden

Jews and the Garden

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
27 Jun 11

What is the Jewish perspective on the Fall in the Garden of Eden ? Do they feel that all are doomed because of it, or do they look at it differently? If they look at it like the Christians do then I wonder why they never talk of Hell or Heaven. No afterlife is mentioned to my understanding by the Jewish faith. Who knows the full scoop ?

Maryland

Moves
28 Jun 11

Originally posted by buckky
What is the Jewish perspective on the Fall in the Garden of Eden ? Do they feel that all are doomed because of it, or do they look at it differently? If they look at it like the Christians do then I wonder why they never talk of Hell or Heaven. No afterlife is mentioned to my understanding by the Jewish faith. Who knows the full scoop ?
It's a paradox. God (if there is one) gave mankind the world's best brain, and then cursed man for using it. Another case of stupidity in the bible.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
28 Jun 11

Does it matter what the Jews think or what anyone thinks?

I think more to the point is what does God think about it. It's in the Bible.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
28 Jun 11

Originally posted by 667joe
It's a paradox. God (if there is one) gave mankind the world's best brain, and then cursed man for using it. Another case of stupidity in the bible.
That's just your opinion. And that's what makes your statement so stupid. Your opinion means nothing.

Moves
28 Jun 11

They view it differently. Jewish tradition is much different from the Greco-based Christian tradition. They have a different view of scriptural truth, and tend not to be literalists. The Jewish tradition is an oral one, and stories were passed from generation to generation - never intending to be science textbooks or even history textbooks. The truth is not the story itself, but what it represents - what is conveyed about the relationship between humanity and God.

So whenever science or archeology reveals something which literally contradicts some aspect of the Old Testament - fundamentalist Christians freak out and see a secular attack on their belief system. But even the most conservative Rabbis tend to shrug their shoulders. The literal account may not be accurate, but for them the truth is in the texts nonetheless.

Maryland

Moves
28 Jun 11

Originally posted by josephw
That's just your opinion. And that's what makes your statement so stupid. Your opinion means nothing.
Yours means even less!🙂

D

St. Peter's

Moves
28 Jun 11

The Jews view it as the breaking of a covenant by man. Its a relationship story that sets the tone for the rest of the hebrew bible. Since the fall, humankind has been in a continual effort to reforge the covenant. In every case it is human failing that once again harms the relationship with God. God is seen as wanting to be in relationship with us, but our actions push God away.

Moves
28 Jun 11

Re the afterlife, they do believe in Sheol (the waiting place), but what happens after that is pretty vague. Traditional Jews do not focus on the afterlife, but on how they are meant to live in this life. What happens next is up to God, and they trust that it will be just.

Moves
28 Jun 11

Here is a good brief discussion of the differences between Jews and Christians (particularly Protestant) with regard to their approach to the Bible.

http://www.bc.edu/dam/files/research_sites/cjl/texts/cjrelations/resources/articles/mobley.htm

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Jun 11

Originally posted by Kunsoo
Here is a good brief discussion of the differences between Jews and Christians (particularly Protestant) with regard to their approach to the Bible.

http://www.bc.edu/dam/files/research_sites/cjl/texts/cjrelations/resources/articles/mobley.htm
Doesn't matter much since they are both full of crap about the whole thing anyway.
Creationism=plagiarized story from earlier religions.

Moves
29 Jun 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
Doesn't matter much since they are both full of crap about the whole thing anyway.
Creationism=plagiarized story from earlier religions.
And what is wrong with borrowing from earlier stories? Jaws borrowed from Moby Dick. Captain Marvel borrowed from Superman. Star Trek borrowed from the Forbidden Planet. The Magnificent Seven borrowed from the Seven Semarai. Last Man Standing from Fist Full of Dollars.

j

Moves
29 Jun 11
1 edit

======================================
What is the Jewish perspective on the Fall in the Garden of Eden ?
===========================================

Solomon - "See, this alone have I found, that God made man upright, but they have sought out many schemes." (Ecclesiastes 7:29)

David - "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me." (Psalm 51:5)

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 Jun 11

Originally posted by 667joe
Yours means even less!🙂
I know. lol

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
30 Jun 11

Originally posted by josephw
Does it matter what the Jews think or what anyone thinks?

I think more to the point is what does God think about it. It's in the Bible.
"Does it matter what the Jews think or what anyone thinks?"

And therin lies your problem. You refuse to think. You refuse to use the brain that your god supposedly gave you. Why wont you look at your relgion critically (as you do all other religions)?

Perhaps you may then come up with something like:

"I can find no rational reason whatsoever for the existance of a supernatural god ... but I still choose to believe"

at least that would be honest.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
03 Jul 11

Originally posted by wolfgang59
"Does it matter what the Jews think [b]or what anyone thinks?"

And therin lies your problem. You refuse to think. You refuse to use the brain that your god supposedly gave you. Why wont you look at your relgion critically (as you do all other religions)?

Perhaps you may then come up with something like:

"I can find no rational reason whatsoe ...[text shortened]... e of a supernatural god ... but I still choose to believe"

at least that would be honest.[/b]
If you were using your brain you'd realise how out of context you took me.

I posed the question in reply to buckky's question about what the Jews view on the creation story was as compared to that of Christians in the hope that it would provoke some thought as to the validity of any one's view in light of the fact that the only view worth having is God's view.

Most everyone posting in this forum is a pretender of one sort or another, putting up a front as though they know something better than God. Dupes!

God has an override switch. Christ. We've all been checkmated!