Is Salvation a free gift?

Is Salvation a free gift?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by WWindmill
So how did the gnostics get around the many people who sited Jesus after he died and rose from the dead? Maybe the metaphor is he didnt really die but had a really bad cold which he made a come-back from?

LLLLIIIIEEESSSSS!!!
The many people who sited Jesus after he died?
The only evidence we have for that are accounts written many years after his death.

Here's a metaphor for you ...
I've got a friend who is a really great guy. I mean, really really great. I love him like you wouldn't believe. He's nice to everybody and helps out everyone he can and so on.
But he died.
I'm pretty cut up about that.
So I've got together with my other friends - all of us think pretty much the same about this friend of ours. He was fantastic.
We start telling stories about his life to each other - I guess a sort of memorialising or a wake of sorts. As time passes, the stories get bigger with each telling.
Years later, someone decides to write some of these stories down. They didn't actually know my friend, but I'll set them straight with a few of these stories.
Of course, the stories might've gotten a little over the top, but ah well, he was a great guy ...

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by amannion
The many people who sited Jesus after he died?
The only evidence we have for that are accounts written many years after his death.

Here's a metaphor for you ...
I've got a friend who is a really great guy. I mean, really really great. I love him like you wouldn't believe. He's nice to everybody and helps out everyone he can and so on.
But he died.
I' ...[text shortened]... the stories might've gotten a little over the top, but ah well, he was a great guy ...
You are saying the Bible is nonsense.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Jun 08

So how did the gnostics get around the many people who sited Jesus after he died and rose from the dead? Maybe the metaphor is he didnt really die but had a really bad cold which he made a come-back from?

LLLLIIIIEEESSSSS!!!
Ahh duh! The 'people' who witnessed the resurrection would also be part of the metaphor (I would prefer to say allegory from now on.)

Are you so dumb you cannot distingsuish between an historical event and a narratival representation?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
24 Jun 08

You are saying the Bible is nonsense.
No, but I am saying that anyone who reads it as if it is a true and factual account of past events is naive.

j

Moves
24 Jun 08

No, but I am saying that anyone who reads it as if it is a true and factual account of past events is naive.
I don't know about that. The people and personalities I read about in the Bible remind me of my neighbers, bosses, co-workers, everyday people.

You seem not to have noticed the realism in the personalities of the people.

For example, in Exodus we have an extraordinary deliverance of a large number of people with miraculous judgments against their oppressors. Granted this is not your everyday occurence. The 10 plagues and the Red Sea event are all miraculous.

Then they go out into the wilderness. No water to drink. They forget real soon all that they witnessed God just do. They murmer and complain "Hey Moses, What are we suppose to drink out here? Did you bring us out here to kill us by thirst?"

I probably would have done the same thing.

Oh that wasn't the last time. God appeared on the top Mt Sinai for days and days in a thick darkness. Didn't stop them from finally making a golden calf and request to return to Egypt.

No, these people sound too realistic. Something's up with this book.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by jaywill
Yep, nearly as realistic as the characters in Lord of the Rings!

P

Moves
24 Jun 08

I don't know about that. The people and personalities I read about in the Bible remind me of my neighbers, bosses, co-workers, everyday people.

You seem not to have noticed the realism in the personalities of the people.

For example, in Exodus we have an extraordinary deliverance of a large number of people with miraculous judgments against their o ...[text shortened]... return to Egypt.

Then they go out into the wilderness. No water to drink. They forget real soon all that they witnessed God just do. They murmer and complain "Hey Moses, What are we suppose to drink out here? Did you bring us out here to kill us by thirst?"

They wouldn't have been murmuring and complaining for long. Without water they would have died of dehydration in less than 2 days if they were lucky.

[i]No, these people sound too realistic. Something's up with this book./i]

So your standard of evidence is "people sounding realistic"?

I'm reading the Brothers Karamazov right now and the characters seem VERY realistic. The problem is, they're fictional. We know they're fictional but they sound too realistic.

I could say the same about Moby Dick, the Three Musketeers series, The count of monte cristo, Anna Karenina, etc.. etc... etc..

A good writer makes their characters sound realistic. That in itself isn't evidence that the characters existed in real life.

j

Moves
24 Jun 08
2 edits

Originally posted by PsychoPawn

They wouldn't have been murmuring and complaining for long. Without water they would have died of dehydra und realistic. That in itself isn't evidence that the characters existed in real life.
Well, I never read those two particular fine works of liturature.

The ancient Jews were only a little people. Where are the Hittites today? Where are the Jebusites? Where are the Philistines today?

History is on the side of the Bible.

You guys can try to compare the Bible to all kinds of things. And I can say that the sun is like the little candle on a birthday cake or like the flashlight on a pen.

Sure, you can go on forever plausibly saying that there is no difference. "Oh, well that's just like ...."

Keep telling yourselves that there is no difference.

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

You are saying that it is brought about through an exageration of the truth and people's wild imaginations.

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

What purpose does people's wild imaginations really have 2000 years down the track.

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

Originally posted by Conrau K
Ahh duh! The 'people' who witnessed the resurrection would also be part of the metaphor (I would prefer to say allegory from now on.)

Are you so dumb you cannot distingsuish between an historical event and a narratival representation?
Yes.. Like his hole life.

j

Moves
24 Jun 08

====================================
A good writer makes their characters sound realistic. That in itself isn't evidence that the characters existed in real life.
======================================

And if a nation of people wanted portray themselves as the chosen people of God why would they have so many stories about how God was disciplining them, leaving them to themselves, and punishing them?

Why would they devulge that their national king hero David murdered a man and stole his wife?

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

Gay-love and a sense of place in life and super-powers. With GOD you can save your own people from a possible imminent terrorist attack by killing 200,000 of the wong people.

W

Moves
24 Jun 08

[b]====================================
======================================

And if a nation of people wanted portray themselves as the chosen people of God why would they have so many stories about how God was disciplinin ...[text shortened]...
Why would they devulge that their national king hero David murdered a man and stole his wife?[/b]
Maybe GOD loved his special daughter greatly and wanted her to have a bigger penis?

j

Moves
24 Jun 08

Maybe GOD loved his special daughter greatly and wanted her to have a bigger penis?
Maybe you're only good for an occasional wise crack and have no reasonable reply.