is it a coincidence that

is it a coincidence that

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
10 Jun 11

educated people are given the statistics less likely to follow a certain faith then those without a higher eduction?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
10 Jun 11

Originally posted by trev33
educated people are given the statistics less likely to follow a certain faith then those without a higher eduction?
Is it a coincidence that your mind is pushing you like a master around instead of being pushed like a slave around by you?😵

Moves
10 Jun 11

Originally posted by trev33
Well, some might say that education generates an arrogance which tends to negate faith. Mother Teresa herself identified curiosity as prideful sin.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
10 Jun 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Kunsoo
Well, some might say that education generates an arrogance which tends to negate faith. Mother Teresa herself identified curiosity as prideful sin.
Would that same "some" happen to be those who simultaneously have little education and lots of faith? ;]

The correlation in the OP makes sense; if you're already equipped with knowledge that things don't tend to just *happen by magic*, and knowledge about when/where humans can be wrong in vast numbers, along with a bit of critical thinking; then one would surely expect you're more likely to reject stories about a magic friend from a 2000 year old book written by primitive humans.

rc

Moves
10 Jun 11
2 edits

Originally posted by Agerg
Would that same "some" happen to be those who simultaneously have little education and lots of faith? ;]

The correlation in the OP makes sense; if you're already equipped with knowledge that things don't tend to just *happen by magic*, and knowledge about when/where humans can be wrong in vast numbers, along with a bit of critical thinking; then one would reject stories about a magic friend from a 2000 year old book written by primitive humans.
primitive humans? correct me if I am wrong, but does it (the Bible) not contain the very earliest dietary, hygiene, quarantine and moral laws which if followed would prevent a person from many debilitating conditions, not to mention a legal system far superior to that of incarcerating persons with the aim to make reparation and lead to rehabilitation. Please tell the forum why any of that is 'primitive'.

The problem with you noobs that are frothing against the Bible is, that one, you dont read it, two, you haven't studied it and three , you are willing to make the most preposterous assertions on the basis of the first two.

To illustrate the point, if i steal something from someone of value i risk being incarcerated, in this present legal system, being a burden on society and unable to provide for my family if i had one, if i were to apply the ancient ordinances, I would be made to work to pay off the value of that which i stole leaving me to also provide for my family at the same time. Please tell the forum why that ordinance is not far superior to incarcerating persons, a practice of a so called enlightened and civilised people. Do tell.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
10 Jun 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
primitive humans? correct me if I am wrong, but does it (the Bible) not contain the very earliest dietary, hygiene, quarantine and moral laws which if followed would prevent a person from many debilitating conditions, not to mention a legal system far superior to that of incarcerating persons with the aim to make reparation and lead to rehabilitation ...[text shortened]... incarcerating persons, a practice of a so called enlightened and civilised people. Do tell.
Rob take your blinkers off. Deuteronomy and Leviticus is filled with a whole host of punishments as barbaric as you could imagine.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
10 Jun 11

primitive humans? correct me if I am wrong, but does it (the Bible) not contain the very earliest dietary, hygiene, quarantine and moral laws which if followed would prevent a person from many debilitating conditions, not to mention a legal system far superior to that of incarcerating persons with the aim to make reparation and lead to rehabilitation ...[text shortened]... incarcerating persons, a practice of a so called enlightened and civilised people. Do tell.
Rec'd

rc

Moves
10 Jun 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Rob take your blinkers off. Deuteronomy and Leviticus is filled with a whole host of punishments as barbaric as you could imagine.
for example?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
10 Jun 11
1 edit

primitive humans? correct me if I am wrong, but does it (the Bible) not contain the very earliest dietary, hygiene, quarantine and moral laws which if followed would prevent a person from many debilitating conditions, not to mention a legal system far superior to that of incarcerating persons with the aim to make reparation and lead to rehabilitation incarcerating persons, a practice of a so called enlightened and civilised people. Do tell.
Elaborate further...your comment here seems as vacuous as the statement "you are the cleverest person to post in this thread between 08:38 - 08:57"

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
10 Jun 11
1 edit

for example?
For example? Are you bonkers, you read your Bible don't you?!

Leviticus - 20:9-16

Deuteronomy - 13:6-18

That'll do for starters.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Jun 11

The correlation in the OP makes sense; if you're already equipped with knowledge that things don't tend to just *happen by magic*, and knowledge about when/where humans can be wrong in vast numbers, along with a bit of critical thinking; then one would ...[text shortened]... reject stories about a magic friend from a 2000 year old book written by primitive humans.
The evolutionists will believe that the world "just happened" by
"magic' or whatever as long as it had nothing to do with God creating it.

rc

Moves
10 Jun 11

Elaborate further...your comment here seems as vacuous as the statement "you are the cleverest person to post in this thread between 08:38 - 08:57"
no i will not, it is you who needs to elaborate further, how are these ancient ordinances primitive?

rc

Moves
10 Jun 11

That'll do for starters.
(Leviticus 20:9-16) . . .‘In case there should be any man who calls down evil upon his father and his mother, he should be put to death without fail. It is his father and his mother upon whom he has called down evil. His own blood is upon him.  “‘Now a man who commits adultery with another man’s wife is one who commits adultery with the wife of his fellowman. He should be put to death without fail, the adulterer and the adulteress as well.  And a man who lies down with his father’s wife has laid bare the nakedness of his father. Both of them should be put to death without fail. Their own blood is upon them.  And where a man lies down with his daughter-in-law, both of them should be put to death without fail. They have committed a violation of what is natural. Their own blood is upon them.  “‘And when a man lies down with a male the same as one lies down with a woman, both of them have done a detestable thing. They should be put to death without fail. Their own blood is upon them.  “‘And where a man takes a woman and her mother, it is loose conduct. They should burn him and them in the fire, in order that loose conduct may not continue in your midst.  “‘And where a man gives his seminal emission to a beast, he should be put to death without fail, and you should kill the beast.  And where a woman approaches any beast to have a connection with it, you must kill the woman and the beast. They should be put to death without fail. Their own blood is upon them.

too right, you roger another mans wife, you die, you roger a beast, you die, you are disrespectful to your parents, you die, you go about rogering other men, you die, what of it?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Jun 11

That'll do for starters.
Todays laws of punishment have gotten so easy on criminals that
they look at it like a tough kid looks at his hand be smacked with
a ruler by his teacher.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
10 Jun 11
1 edit

(Leviticus 20:9-16) . . .‘In case there should be any man who calls down evil upon his father and his mother, he should be put to death without fail. It is his father and his mother upon whom he has called down evil. His own blood is upon him.  “‘Now a man who commits adultery with another man’s wife is one who commits adultery with the wife of his f ...[text shortened]... re disrespectful to your parents, you die, you go about rogering other men, you die, what of it?
So your an advocate of capital punishment?

What about this little gem of compassion - Deuteronomy 13:6-12

If you hear it said about one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you to live in 13 that troublemakers have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods you have not known), 14 then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, 15 you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. You must destroy it completely, both its people and its livestock. 16 You are to gather all the plunder of the town into the middle of the public square and completely burn the town and all its plunder as a whole burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town is to remain a ruin forever, never to be rebuilt.

Barbaric? Primitive?